Thread: Just finished wrapping a "new" kit.

User Info Menu

Default Just finished wrapping a "new" kit.

My main kit lives in the band trailer and I wanted to put together a small kit for impromptu gigs and practice at the house. Put together 4 orphan drums that I've collected over the years and wrapped them in vintage Citrus Mod from Bum Wrap.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just finished wrapping a "new" kit.

Should have asked I had another 14" PDP floor tom lying around! lol

The classic clown puke! Looks nice. Good job on the rewrap.

User Info Menu

Looks great

User Info Menu

Awesome! I'm leaning toward that same wrap for one of my old Ludwig long-lug kits. How's the quality of the wrap? Is it up to the task of moderate gigging?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice work, looks great!

Tex

User Info Menu

Nice work, looks great!

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Awesome! I'm leaning toward that same wrap for one of my old Ludwig long-lug kits. How's the quality of the wrap? Is it up to the task of moderate gigging?

The wrap is fine for gigging. If it's taken care of like you would take care of any gigging set, there shouldn't be any problem.

I was a little concerned before I wrapped my set, but now I couldn't be happier.

User Info Menu

Nice looking kit SF!
    N2 - Bum Wrap is a good quality wrap that should hold up well to gigging. I did a kit a couple years ago in one of their wood wraps and it turned out fantastic.
    [IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Nice job! Did you use glue or just the tape? Thanks...

User Info Menu

I just used the tape and the lugs hold it so it won't move. Have to pull it tight around the shell though.

SF - what did you do?

User Info Menu

So is Bum Wrap the smart way to go for this? I have done some investigation, and that was my conclusion, but I've never done this myself. I'm liking that "no glue" option as well...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    So is Bum Wrap the smart way to go for this? I have done some investigation, and that was my conclusion, but I've never done this myself. I'm liking that "no glue" option as well...
    I thought about the "no glue option" but I'm glad I glued mine down. I have three 1966 Ludwig shells that have the infamous "hump" since the original factory wrap was steam bent with the outer ply. Tape would not of held the wrap down so gluing it was my only option.

The most problematic area was on the bass drum where the mahogany ply lifted up when the original wrap was removed by a "drum shop" twenty years ago.

I used the 3M water soluble contact cement which was recommended by many who opted for gluing instead of the using the provided tape. I read many reviews from drummers who used the tape method and found that as the shell expands and shrinks due to temperature, the wrap lifts up. The only option was to glue the seam down.

I also plugged the bass drum mounting hole that was cut into the shell by the previous owner and this area posed issues as well. The plug was flat but the shell had a curve so I had really fill the area out with wood putty in order to restore its curved shape.

User Info Menu

continued...

Plugged bass drum mount hole:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Should have asked I had another 14" PDP floor tom lying around! lol

The classic clown puke! Looks nice. Good job on the rewrap.
    Thanks! I should have asked around because I'm not a fan of those Yamaha lugs!

I didn't use any glue, just the tape. Used spring clamps to hold the wrap in place and work it around the drum until it was tight. I'm impressed with the quality and think it will gig fine.
    Last edited by SuperFortress; 01-25-2017 at 08:02 PM.

User Info Menu

groovy nice work on the hoops too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    Thanks! I should have asked around because I'm not a fan of those Yamaha lugs!

I didn't use any glue, just the tape. Used spring clamps to hold the wrap in place and work it around the drum until it was tight. I'm impressed with the quality and think it will gig fine.
    That wrap is inexpensive and easily duplicated. You could still acquire a PDP floor tom and wrap it to match. Or...just buy any old PDP tom and salvage the lugs. Then you could re-drill your existing shell.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham