Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you do it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Would you do it?

I think file sharing won't be an issue if I can convince him to upgrade his IO panel to be able to mix drums at his studio. I live one hour away from him so driving won't be an issue if I can leave a kit at this studio and walk in after work to overdub drum tracks. I rather work with a guitar player "face to face" so I can watch his fingers on the fret board and to observe body language like a foot tapping out the meter etc...

User Info Menu

I'm on the fence with this one: Would I do it?

The 2 hour commute not a problem I live in the LA area.
    Playing Christian metal okay.
    There are a lot of concerns/comments about playing for free (8 songs) I think I would still do it because I will get more exposure plus other players are there guitars, bass, singer(s)? Possibility of networking and leading to something else.

Now the part that throws the red flag is what Rick said playing/copying Vinnie to a tee. I'm sure there are drummers out there that can play like him but still not the same. We are all influenced by other drummers so our approach to the music is going to be different. For example, I'm a hard rock/metal fan myself the band Slayer replaced Dave Lombardo quit a few times. Granite the drummers could play Dave parts but not exactly because they have their own style. So to be stuck on Vinnie's style is a hard pill to swallow, but whatever you decide just have fun doing it . The worst he/ they can say is no.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    I'm on the fence with this one: Would I do it?

The 2 hour commute not a problem I live in the LA area.
    Playing Christian metal okay.
    There are a lot of concerns/comments about playing for free (8 songs) I think I would still do it because I will get more exposure plus other players are there guitars, bass, singer(s)? Possibility of networking and leading to something else.

Now the part that throws the red flag is what Rick said playing/copying Vinnie to a tee. I'm sure there are drummers out there that can play like him but still not the same. We are all influenced by other drummers so our approach to the music is going to be different. For example, I'm a hard rock/metal fan myself the band Slayer replaced Dave Lombardo quit a few times. Granite the drummers could play Dave parts but not exactly because they have their own style. So to be stuck on Vinnie's style is a hard pill to swallow, but whatever you decide just have fun doing it . The worst he/ they can say is no.
    Great advice. I've been given more leeway after my conversation with the guitar player last night as I brought your exact point as in trying to "fit Vinny to a Tee". That would be nearly impossible to do but having followed him during the Black Sabbath days when Dio took over for Ozzy and then being a huge Dio fan, I embrace his style of playing and the confidence has been building for quite sometime as I gained more control over my sticks. I've always wanted to play Dio's music. Now, if you'd ask me to play big band jazz and play like the many great drummers from that era, I would be in trouble.

I've been studying Vinny's videos and I can tell he's not as flamboyant as he was in the '80's but still commands the power to give it that "metal" feel. Check this video out. It looks as though it took place in a drum clinic at some music store in Anytown USA. Lot's of 6's, triplets on the floor to kick drum. He also goes from eighth to sixteenth notes at least once in every song he plays. He smashes his cymbals and lots of sloshy hihats.

I'll use these techniques and incorporate it into my playing style on Saturday. I have my work cut for me. I was given the two songs to practice and I know I can nail the groove. He's not that hard to figure out. I was told a bass player is also coming which is going to be a huge help to keep the groove in check.

Last edited by late8; 08-11-2017 at 03:21 PM.

User Info Menu

I couldn't do it...just not good enough. At all. But it would be fun to say "hold my beer and look out for flying debris" and try all the same! Tell him if there's any profits, you want them to go to charity. Like Salvation Army or a homeless Vets association.

Go for it.....you got this...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I couldn't do it...just not good enough. At all. But it would be fun to say "hold my beer and look out for flying debris" and try all the same! Tell him if there's any profits, you want them to go to charity. Like Salvation Army or a homeless Vets association.

Go for it.....you got this...
    Great idea Brian!! Thanks again!!!!

User Info Menu

Vin holds his sticks between the index and middle finger at times. He mentioned why but I can't remember if it was for more power or what... I think Carmine does too.

You can see the grip in this video
    Last edited by slinky; 01-26-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I jammed to both tunes the tonight and I just don't have the chops to pull this off so I emailed the guitar player and thanked him for the consideration and backed out.

Thanks for all the input! You're comments made me realize how lucky I am to be part of this forum. You guys gave me much to think about and I'll keep looking around for something more my speed.

User Info Menu

I've done things through file sharing. Recorded with people I never met in person. It's no fun IMHO.

User Info Menu

Pretty cool situation, Rich. Big shoes to fill too. Gotta respect your self evaluation too. Still a cool story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

Great prospective Shane. After 3 CD releases, this guy hasn't made a dime and he confessed to me that his initial investment had to be doubled from what was it first projected to be due to an upgrade from a Roland 2480 DAW to $5,000+ for ProTools software, PC to Mac upgrade, IO panels, and cables etc. Now he's in a jam because everything was done via file sharing and no Vinny Appice available.

I think in today's world there is absolutely no money to be made from CD sales. It appears to me that everybody is giving their stuff away for free and what brings in the money is merchandise sales while on tour. That seemed be the case with the bands that rolls through my town that I had the pleasure of working with as a drum tech.
    This changes my opinion. If he is not pocketing any cash, AND you will get proper credit in any listings (rather than crediting just Vinny) then I would be tempted to do it. This assumes you are not going to incur any costs or have to give up any gigs or other paying situations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Vin holds his sticks between the index and middle finger at times. He mentioned why but I can't remember if it was for more power or what... I think Carmine does too.

Am I the only one who found it funny that in the beginning of this video, all I see is a bunch of balding, middle aged guys in the audience as the camera pans around?

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I jammed to both tunes the tonight and I just don't have the chops to pull this off so I emailed the guitar player and thanked him for the consideration and backed out.

Thanks for all the input! You're comments made me realize how lucky I am to be part of this forum. You guys gave me much to think about and I'll keep looking around for something more my speed.
    It is what it is Rich. No one is going to judge you based on your decision. If you feel you're not up to it, hey, it's all good brother! I'm sure there will be a lot of other projects for you. Main thing is, don't give up.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Rich, I think you are selling yourself short.

You can do, easily, what was played in the first video.

If you've got the time, you should give it a go.

Forget the money and invest in the experience. Keep putting your name out there and stretching your talents further than you thought possible.

You got this!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for that video slinky! I watched it and went into the garage and tried it without taping my fingers up and it worked really well. It puts the fulcrum point at a totally different point of balance in the right hand and the fingers help balance the stick better between the fingers but OUCH, gotta tape them up!!

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Pretty cool situation, Rich. Big shoes to fill too. Gotta respect your self evaluation too. Still a cool story.
    Apparently my email didn't make it and got rejected by the wrong email default program and it was kicked back to me. I didn't realize this and guess who showed up at my front door this morning? Yup...the guitar player and the bass player both showed up exactly at 10:30am just like we planned. OOPs!

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    This changes my opinion. If he is not pocketing any cash, AND you will get proper credit in any listings (rather than crediting just Vinny) then I would be tempted to do it. This assumes you are not going to incur any costs or have to give up any gigs or other paying situations.
    Yes, that's correct. All of their music is up on the cloud for free. Everything is given away and I don't know if they require an email addy for the free music but I downloaded what I needed without giving any of my private info up such as an email addy.

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Am I the only one who found it funny that in the beginning of this video, all I see is a bunch of balding, middle aged guys in the audience as the camera pans around? It is what it is Rich. No one is going to judge you based on your decision. If you feel you're not up to it, hey, it's all good brother! I'm sure there will be a lot of other projects for you. Main thing is, don't give up.
    That's what I wrote in my email to the guitar player but he never got it and they showed up at my front door at 10:30am. I was embarrassed they drove all the way out to my house (2 hour round trip for the guitar player) so I invited them in and sat them down and we had a long talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Rich, I think you are selling yourself short.

You can do, easily, what was played in the first video.

If you've got the time, you should give it a go.

Forget the money and invest in the experience. Keep putting your name out there and stretching your talents further than you thought possible.

You got this!!
    Great advice Mark! I told them I'm no Vinny Appice and I'm willing to add fills where he has them in the music but the pressure to learn all three drummer's style makes me more of a drum machine than anything else and they both agreed. We went out to the garage to play and I come to find out that these guys have never played "live" with a REAL drummer so for them it was like learning the songs all over again. After jamming for about an hour, they liked me and I liked them so were going to give it a go! They both said if Vinny ever heard us play, he would expect me to add my own style of fills and that relived a lot of pressure.
    Last edited by late8; 01-28-2017 at 10:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Awesome to hear it went well. I find it ironic that they never played live with a drummer, LOL. Glad to hear they are now open to letting you have some creative freedom. IMO, there's no way you can play to your potential unless you're allowed to feel and play for the music.

So....were the guys any good? How do they compare to others you've played with in past bands?
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's what it's all about. Knock'm out, brother.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Boom ! That's awesome ! Yea...moving forward . Excited to see where this takes you . Break a leg !

User Info Menu

Happy for you Rich. One thing to remember is if you are going to play like Vinny in the future make sure you're fingers are all taped up lol. I am curious so next time I get behind my kit I will try it too. Good luck Rich.

User Info Menu

Do it, just go for it. Not a lot of us drummers make money or care about money doing this, I drove four hours and made 5 bucks last gig. I just want to play drums. YOUR drumming could be on this CD or not. I wouldn't turn down a chance to showcase my skills, whatever it is it could be a stepping stone...assuming your not already famous.
    Last edited by GoyaDrumr!; 01-29-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Excellent! Congrats

User Info Menu

Awesome to hear it went well. I find it ironic that they never played live with a drummer, LOL. Glad to hear they are now open to letting you have some creative freedom. IMO, there's no way you can play to your potential unless you're allowed to feel and play for the music.

So....were the guys any good? How do they compare to others you've played with in past bands?
    Hi Brian. Wow...these guys are pho-nominal players and so humble too. We struggled together to play the two tunes they selected for the audition and listening and learning how Vinny structures his fills will expand my playing. He uses 5, 7 and 9 stroke rolls and subdivides them across the rack toms as in triplet on rack tom#1 with a double on rack tom #2 (= 5 stroke) followed by two doubles on floor tom #1 and a triplet on the floor tom #2 (= 7 stroke).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That's what it's all about. Knock'm out, brother.
    Thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Boom ! That's awesome ! Yea...moving forward . Excited to see where this takes you . Break a leg !
    Thanks for the advice earlier in this thread and again Rudy, thanks for being a mentor for us here on DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Happy for you Rich. One thing to remember is if you are going to play like Vinny in the future make sure you're fingers are all taped up lol. I am curious so next time I get behind my kit I will try it too. Good luck Rich.
    Thanks Gilles! I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I went to the store yesterday and bought some of that white tape (don't don't know the official name for it) used for wrapping strips of gauze and I will protect my digits like the "man" himself lol!!

User Info Menu

its safe to say 90% of all drumming is having a good taste in drum finishes

User Info Menu

This could turn into a great story, email to cancel got kicked back to you, they show up the next morning to play and the rest is history. : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Not exactly my kind of music, BUT WOW...the guys looks like he could bench press a Buick. Definitely a hard hitter....way harder than it would appear based on his stick movement. He plays close to the heads. With some guys that play with that kind of power, you see the sticks flying over their head like they're wielding an axe. And his facial expression the entire song is the same one my wife gives me when I make too much noise and accidentally wake her up from her nap. You better practice your "war face" in the mirror, Rich!

I can't get past all those Drums. Surrounded by all those wonderful DW shells, and every one sounds like a paper bag . I know it's the sound that fits, but it was hard to pick out more than a couple different tones.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Yikes! Maybe that's the sound he's going for or maybe it was just crappy sound, but, those drums sounded like crap. That's a lot of $$ there for those drums to sound so bad. Might as well have put wet towels over every drum head. At least there'd be an excuse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoyaDrumr! View Post
    Do it, just go for it. Not a lot of us drummers make money or care about money doing this, I drove four hours and made 5 bucks last gig. I just want to play drums. YOUR drumming could be on this CD or not. I wouldn't turn down a chance to showcase my skills, whatever it is it could be a stepping stone...assuming your not already famous.
    Thanks for your post GoyaDrumr! I appreciate your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    Excellent! Congrats
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    its safe to say 90% of all drumming is having a good taste in drum finishes
    Absolutely!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    This could turn into a great story, email to cancel got kicked back to you, they show up the next morning to play and the rest is history. : )
    Exactly MDK!

Not exactly my kind of music, BUT WOW...the guys looks like he could bench press a Buick. Definitely a hard hitter....way harder than it would appear based on his stick movement. He plays close to the heads. With some guys that play with that kind of power, you see the sticks flying over their head like they're wielding an axe. And his facial expression the entire song is the same one my wife gives me when I make too much noise and accidentally wake her up from her nap. You better practice your "war face" in the mirror, Rich!

I can't get past all those Drums. Surrounded by all those wonderful DW shells, and every one sounds like a paper bag I know it's the sound that fits, but it was hard to pick out more than a couple different tones.
    I'll check the video. Vinny had shoulder surgery to anchor a slipped tendon in his right shoulder and he said the high toms and the out of reach cymbal set up he used in his heyday ruined his shoulder. He keeps things very low after the surgery and is a now Ddrum endorsee.