Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Would you do it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Would you do it?

Looking great Rich and all the luck to you man you deserve it. Finally playing with some pros.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Looking great Rich and all the luck to you man you deserve it. Finally playing with some pros.
    Thank you Gilles! Much appreciated!!

User Info Menu

Rich, thanks for the updates and pictures. Too cool, my friend
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Rich, thanks for the updates and pictures. Too cool, my friend
    Thanks Mark!!

User Info Menu

Rich..................looks like a great opportunity to grow a little, if I'm reading it all correctly.................good for you.
    Seeing the photos of those Yammy pads takes me back to the late 80s/early 90s when I was using the same in a pop-cover band.
    I had everything on a rack system -- it broke down into two major sections and we would hang the two sections on bicycle hooks inside the gear trailer..........it worked.
    The Yammy tone generators back in those days were anything but user-friendly.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Rich..................looks like a great opportunity to grow a little, if I'm reading it all correctly.................good for you.
    Seeing the photos of those Yammy pads takes me back to the late 80s/early 90s when I was using the same in a pop-cover band.
    I had everything on a rack system -- it broke down into two major sections and we would hang the two sections on bicycle hooks inside the gear trailer..........it worked.
    The Yammy tone generators back in those days were anything but user-friendly.
    Very cool story about the Yammy pads. Yes, it definitely a chance to grow. We're taking it one band practice at a time and it's a "wait and see what happens" project. Thanks for chiming in.

User Info Menu

Great to hear it's working out! Couldn't happen to a nicer or more deserving guy. Also speaks well about your talent and courage to make it a reality. Maybe I should ask for an autograph now, and avoid the rush later on?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Great to hear it's working out! Couldn't happen to a nicer or more deserving guy. Also speaks well about your talent and courage to make it a reality. Maybe I should ask for an autograph now, and avoid the rush later on?
    Thanks Brian. We have no idea where this project is headed. No gigs and since the music is metal, it is shunned by the so called "community". It's fun to play this genre since it reminds me of my early days of listening to heavy metal. I've mellowed out since those days and spend time playing simpler stuff in a slower groove but this has me working up a sweat which is a good thing.

User Info Menu

We haven't practiced in weeks but Saturday turned into a "shop" day. The bass player forked out some $ and showed up with this behemoth of a banner. In order to create room in my garage to hang it, I had to do some serious housekeeping. He's keeping his bass rig set up in the corner next to my garage door. I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves...but hey, who am I to say anything? I bought two reso heads with logos right?

User Info Menu

Good equipment choice for that band................those yellow shells look cool with the reso heads.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Very cool. Nice practice space.

User Info Menu

Looks great Rich and the guys are pretty serious about the new band.

User Info Menu

cool stuff Rich. I'm a big Vinnie fan too. Got to see him live a few times once at The Boardwalk in Orangevale with WWIII 91 (Jimmy Bain was the last bass player for that group). Before that with Dio in the 80's and Black Sabbath on the Dehumanizer tour! around 94 that album is bad ***
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Good equipment choice for that band................those yellow shells look cool with the reso heads.
    Thanks Ricky! I 'm hoping the SK3 coated heads will tame down the ringing I'm hearing in the kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Very cool. Nice practice space.
    Thanks Marc!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Looks great Rich and the guys are pretty serious about the new band.
    Thanks Gilles. It seems like the older we get, we notice time slipping away more. All of us in this band are in our mid to late '50s. I'm the oldest at 57 and the three others players are 54, 55 and 56 years old. I'm feeling every bit of "57" and this may be my last effort to go "All In". I'm looking forward to retirement as a State Employee but have at least 11 more years of public service before I call it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    cool stuff Rich. I'm a big Vinnie fan too. Got to see him live a few times once at The Boardwalk in Orangevale with WWIII 91 (Jimmy Bain was the last bass player for that group). Before that with Dio in the 80's and Black Sabbath on the Dehumanizer tour! around 94 that album is bad ***
    Very cool connection we have slinky. I don't think anybody on this forum has ever been to the "BoardWalk" in Orangevale California and it's cool we can share some stories about that club.

I was directed to Vinny's website and found some interesting tid bits about his life. Even with his reputation as one of the premier metal drummers, Vinny needs a "side job" to supplement his income. Believe or not, he has his own computer maintenance company and goes around southern California (San Bernardino) and seeks businesses that need help setting up and maintaining their computer systems. Between tours and clinics, he offers a "One on One Drum Lesson with Vinny Appice" at his studio for a fee of $500. That can get you a 90 minute lesson but travel and lodging expenses are not covered.

Last time I checked, his brother Carmine offers the same "One on One" lesson too at the same price but all of Carmine's slots were "sold out". He lives in New York City. Vinny had two slots left the last time I checked but that was almost a month ago. For just a fleeting moment, I almost gave it a thought and clicked "Buy" but the wife would of "flipped out" and I would of been "kicked to the curb" and my kits would of been "firewood" for a nice bonfire. I'm racking up too many bills on G.A.S. again and it's raised a "Red Flag" and the wife is loosing her cool.

User Info Menu

hey Rich thanks for the info about his lessons. It is very tempting. Just tell your wife buying new gear keeps you out of trouble lol. Your set and the rack look great!!!

all your stuff always does.
    Last edited by slinky; 03-21-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    hey Rich thanks for the info about his lessons. It is very tempting. Just tell your wife buying new gear keeps you out of trouble lol. Your set and the rack look great!!!

all your stuff always does.
    Thanks slinky!!

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread up for an update. Sorry about my long hiatus away from the forum but it's good to be back posting again. A couple of wrinkles for this project have surfaced but having said that, we're still together as a band.

First issue:

Me and the other local musician hired to play came to a quick conclusion that we are never going to replicate Vinny or Phil's playing on this CD. As the eight tracks were being mixed and mastered by professional engineers/producers, a few of the tracks were rejected due to poorly played guitar solos or other technical mixing glitches that were overlooked.

The guitar player found himself re-recording solos again which brought this project to a screeching halt.

Second issue:

I spoke up at the last band meeting and expressed my concern about disappointing many potential fans who may be expecting Vinny and Phil to show up as members of this "band" but only to find me on the kit and the other local guy on bass. I find that to be misleading.

The guitar player agreed and said it was a "disservice to me and the other guy" to be in that kind of compromising situation so the "Sovereign Cross" CD project will be a studio recording of 8 songs only; no gigging band to support the CD.

There was a plan to record me on at least one track but that won't happen and I'm relieved that I'm off the hook; too big of "shoes" to fill in the drum department in my humble opinion.

On a positive note, Phil has producing and engineering experience and agreed to mix and master the six remaining tracks. He produced Dokken's last effort and has taken this project under his "wing" after the last engineer/producer bailed out over a difference of opinion.

Third issue:

A few of the original vocal tracks were sung flat according to Phil's ears so the guitar player found a new vocalist willing to sing the remaining tracks. Unfortunately, this guy does not want to be part of this band moving forward so we're going to have to find another singer...wish us luck on that one!

-----------------------

Phil is on currently on tour with Vinny's Band "Last In Line" and he won't be able to spend much time on the CD. He texted the guitar player while traveling on tour and said he was mixing between gigs on his lap-top. It will be a six week wait until the tour winds down.

Looking back, this project has turned into a financial nightmare for the guitar player. Costs have doubled and the delay has us on hold and interest could wane on my part. We all agreed that there's a need to completely re-vamp the band; ditch the name and abandon the heavy metal sound.

What style are we going for? We don't know since it's been nothing but a cover band per say for me and the local bass player but there's a big plus for me.

I get to be myself and create and write my own drum parts. No more "trying to be like Vinny".

My learning process didn't stop at just watching old YouTube videos of Dio or Black Sabbath. "Last In Line", which is Vinny's new band, rolled into my town (Sacramento) on their second tour date a month ago and we were able to buy VIP "Meet and Greet" passes for the show. Perks included being allowed in the venue one hour before the doors opened to hang out for the sound check.

VIP "Meet and Greet" swag (less the Evans G2 drum head). :

I learned a lot of new fills and techniques by listening and watching him play so it wasn't a waste of my time. I found a 20 year old instructional DVD that Vinny produced while he was in Black Sabbath that allowed a better look into his style and I gained more confidence every time I practiced.

I had him autograph the DVD during the "Meet and Greet" and I quoted out loud a piece of advice he gave over and over as he was signing it:

Me: "At first, go slow and steady right?"
    Vinny: (chuckles) "...and keep it in the pocket."

The venue was a "hole in the wall" bar and the stage was very small compared to what these guys are used to but the intimacy of the setting made meeting the band much more meaningful. I poked my head around the corner before the "Meet and Greet" officially started and found Vinny and his road manager at the kit and took this shot of the stage.

Vinny tunes his toms really tight with very little overtones and it's off-set from the kick. His ride and crash cymbals are set low. Gone are the days of a wrap around kit and towering china cymbals.

Last edited by late8; 08-14-2017 at 09:30 AM.

User Info Menu

continued...

"Last In Line"

An awkward moment for me since I'm not an autograph hound or one to do the "Meet and Greets" but I "took one for the team" cause we all know the rule here, "Pics or it didn't happen..."

User Info Menu

Rich...................
    Sounds like things worked out well for you -- and the others.
    Wish you the very best in this effort.
    Glad to know you are back at DC.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Rich...................
    Sounds like things worked out well for you -- and the others.
    Wish you the very best in this effort.
    Glad to know you are back at DC.
    Thanks Ricky! I got a lot of catching up to do and I'm looking forward to the music you're sending my way. I remember hearing a little bit of your playing style when you were touring with the blues band (3 pc band) and it was excellent. I don't hear many blues drummers playing double pedal but you made it work.
    Last edited by late8; 08-11-2017 at 02:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Great to see you again Rich! And thanks for the updates above!

User Info Menu

Thanks Tom! It's good to be home. I want to share one more pic from the "Last In Line" show. Phil Soussan came out after the show and came over to say hello to our guitar and the bass player while everybody was headed out the door.

Apparently, this caused quite the stir because a lot of Phil's fans turned around and formed a line behind him to get a picture and an autograph. He noticed the commotion and announced that he was just there to talk to the guys and turned his back to the gathering crowd and continued a quick impromptu meeting laying out his tour schedule and when he would be available to continue working on the CD. Now that made a good evening even better!!

Pictured from left to right:
    Our guitar player Gary
    Phil Soussan (Last In Line)
    Our bass player Ron.

User Info Menu

hey Rich! dang man i'm super jealous! cool pics! was that place in Sac?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Hey thanks slinky! Yeah, a new bar that opened up three years ago on the corner of 16th and J St. downtown Sac. It just starting booking bands in the last 6 months and hopefully it can sustain itself in a city that really doesn't support music venues especially downtown. The City still has a midnight curfew. Last In Line had to end their show at 11:30pm...

User Info Menu

i guess some places never change or change slowly. nice there's a new place to play but gotta have support. Can't remember how many times i use to go to the Oasis Ballroom. even saw Accept there one time. i remember playing the Torch Club once. the grunge crap was taking off at the time and we were far from that haha .... no free beer for us
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN