Thread: Gibraltar GCS-400 Chrome Road Rack Review

User Info Menu

Default Gibraltar GCS-400 Chrome Road Rack Review

GCS-400C Road Series Rack

Description:

Gibraltar GCS-400C Road Series Drum Rack, Basic Rack with Curved Wings, Finish: Chrome, Two 30" vertical T-legs with Thomann angle adjustment, Cymbal mounts from both vertical T-legs, 46" curved horizontal front bar with 2 multi-clamps and memory locks, Two 24" curved wing extensions each with GCMC multi-clamp and memory lock.

I purchased this rack last week in order to alleviate the constant shuffle of hardware between two drumming projects, in two locations. It arrived yesterday and I spent at least three hours fiddling around with different set configurations with the help of two band mates and I'm writing this review based upon our observations.

The one glaring oversight from DW/Gibraltar is what I consider an essential part of any rack system; memory locks. The memory locks for the multi-clamps that hold the rack toms and side wings must be a separate purchase. Bummer! We didn't notice the lack of any additional memory locks until we had the rack completely set up and we were at the point of hanging the heavy items such as the rack toms (with the bulky GTS chrome mounts) and cymbals.

The Thomann angle adjustments. Yes, that's right "Thomann Angle"? I Goggled this and found nothing related to any geometric angles, lines or curves so we had to assume it meant "not straight" because we struggled for hours and the rack was "not straight". After a quick image search, we found at least two examples of what "Thomann Angle" is and how it relates to this rack. The two 30" vertical bars have curved mandrel bends and both are equal in length. Two 90 degree clamps that hold the vertical bars to the feet have a brake tilter at the base of the clamp and by adjusting both vertical bars and the 90 degree clamps, the rack can be angled to counter balance the heavy rack toms and cymbals holders. If the alignment of the vertical bars or if the horizontal curved front bar are not squared up, the rack will not be square in relation to the rack toms as the pic below clearly shows:

Pictured below is what looks like a properly set up GCS-400 but I am to assume there are multiple ways to set this rack up without looking "homemade". Unfortunately, due to the lack of memory locks, my kit could not be completed until I run down to my local indie mom and pops music store and search and hope they have something left on their shelves from Gibraltar. The store was given a new ordering policy from DW that requires a $500 minimum purchase of Gibraltar products in order for their inventory to be replenished. Meanwhile, I'll use stands if my store lacks any memory locks. I'm keeping my finger crossed I can play my kit by Thursday.

GCS-400

Pros- compact foot print
    Cons- no memory locks for multi-clamps or tom holders, Thomann Angle curved vertical bars, soon to be a discontinued item
    Last edited by late8; 02-01-2017 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gibraltar GCS-400 Chrome Road Rack Review

The thing I HATE MOST about the Gibraltar memory locks (and these designs are way before DW bought their rights btw....) is that you need to "SLIP" them on to the bar meaning you have to have the bar off and any other clamps out of the way to put the locks where they need to be!! That is horse crap.

DW memory clamps open up and so do Tamas. Gibraltars are foolish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    The thing I HATE MOST about the Gibraltar memory locks (and these designs are way before DW bought their rights btw....) is that you need to "SLIP" them on to the bar meaning you have to have the bar off and any other clamps out of the way to put the locks where they need to be!! That is horse crap.

DW memory clamps open up and so do Tamas. Gibraltars are foolish.
    Hey Zack, thanks for chiming in. I agree with you that the Gib memory lock was around before the DW buy out BUT, there are actually two types of locks for the road racks. I've been using the hinged memory lock for over 10 years (SC-GRSHKML RS for Road Series racks) and it's held up very well but it's NOT chrome and needs a drum key to make adjustments which I like due to a more streamlined look.

The other Gib memory lock, SC-GCHML has a wing nut and looks bulky and may not fit in tight places where inches can make or break hard to achieve adjustments.

Last edited by late8; 02-01-2017 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a Gibraltar memory lock on one of my boom stands and my throne. Both can swivel at the end so you can just undo the screw and open them up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I have a Gibraltar memory lock on one of my boom stands and my throne. Both can swivel at the end so you can just undo the screw and open them up.
    Mike you're not going to believe what happened when I tried to remedy my situation for more memory locks. I ran down to my local mom and pop music store to get what I needed to finish the set up for this rack but before I made the 30 minute drive, I called and asked the sales guy in the drum department if they had memory locks for the road rack and I was specific about what I needed and gave them the part number and I told "...yes, we stock that item".

When I arrived, this is all they had; a box of assorted memory locks for cymbal stands:

Imagine my disappointment but I managed to leave the store with a Gib mini boom hideaway cymbal holder for $25.00 USD. I pieced together a few missing nuts and bolts and revived two black memory locks from my old rack and this is how the new rack looks today:

Last edited by late8; 02-02-2017 at 03:48 PM.

User Info Menu

oh that sucks to hear of what you found at the store! lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    oh that sucks to hear of what you found at the store! lol
    Zack, I spent 30+ years as a loyal customer to this small music store. My 12 year old even takes guitar lessons from them but lately, their inventory has been really skimpy and nothing but entry to mid-level kits. I don't see too many walking out with big ticket items either. I raided this store's hardware isle and picked up things I know will be hard to find like washers specific to Gibraltar hardware. Time to stock up before it's all gone.

User Info Menu

WOW...............that USA kit looks awesome with the reso head and the rack..................great job.
    I think it is also great that you were doing business with the local shop on every possible occasion...............the business today provides them no reason to stock anything top-line.
    A dying breed, unfortunately.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    WOW...............that USA kit looks awesome with the reso head and the rack..................great job.
    I think it is also great that you were doing business with the local shop on every possible occasion...............the business today provides them no reason to stock anything top-line.
    A dying breed, unfortunately.
    Thanks Ricky! You're absolutely right about the local retailers. No need to stock high end kits anymore. The 2007 DW Collectors that I bought as "new" sat in the corner of my local music store for 9 years. The MSRP was $7,200 in '07 but I got it out the door for $2,500. The DW can't touch "That Gretsch Sound"...

User Info Menu

We have no more local-owner music stores and the GC here is a joke for drummers.
    I have no second thoughts about doing business on-line for sticks, heads and hardware.
    For cymbals I need to hear them before I buy and the next time I find myself in Memphis I will gladly give them my business.
    The cymbal room at the Memphis Drum Shop is impressive..................
    photo.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

There are online stores that do have rack memory locks, just in case you need more. I always buy the hinged design, whether for a stand or rack tube. They work so much easier.

User Info Menu

When it comes to Gibraltar racks I have only good things to say. I've been using them since 2004 and I've never had a problem with them. When it comes to the memory lock issue they do have the type that clips o over the bar. These are the two types that came with my double rack,

User Info Menu

yeah my two original racks came with the circular unhinged ones and I have a hundred of them... they are horrible concept for sure. Drives me nuts if I want to add or subtract something from the kit.