Thread: I took first place in my drum solo.

User Info Menu

Default I took first place in my drum solo.

I'm back from the talent show and I took first place. However there were mistakes made that I guess no one noticed. Dropped my stick but kept playing with the other stick. A gentleman picked up my stick and handed back to me and I just went on playing and finished the solo. Another mistake I noticed is I kept playing the same beat over and over again without switching to a different beat. All in all it went well and I got a lot of compliments after I had finished. Oh and here's a good one for you. While I was setting up my snare drum stand the wing nut broke and I had to go to GC to get another snare stand. The one that broke was sound percussion which I have had for many years. The new one is a Tama roadpro snare stand which is alittle heavier and worked great. I think what I am going to do now is take my mistakes that I noticed and work on correcting them.
    Jazz is a lot harder and takes time to master or so I hear. Will work on mastering the basic cymbal ride pattern first and then go from there. I have all spring and summer to practice jazz solo's in case my drum solo video get's picked and I get invited to Buffalo,NY for the nationals. Any advice would be appreciated and helpful.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: I took first place in my drum solo.

Wow, that's awesome. Congrats on 1st place and the new stand...

User Info Menu

Way to go Gregg

If you play along to records (CD's), get Brubek, MJQ, Blakey, etc. Those different styles of jazz will help give you a feel for it, BUT, nobody is going to master a art form where 20 "jazz" drummers can play 1 song like Cherokee 20 different ways. Which 1 is the "master".

This isn't saying that you can't get real good at it. There are (were) a lot of great jazz drummers but to say someone "mastered" it, nope, isn't going to happen.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Gregg, that's awesome!

User Info Menu

YES !! That is AWESOME !! I'm really happy for you . I can tell ya Rick said it all , good advice there . Congratulations brother . : .....this is my standing ovation !

User Info Menu

Congrats! Any photos from the contest?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Nicely done Gregg , so glad to see all your hard work has paid off.

User Info Menu

Congrats Gregg, I knew you could do it man.

User Info Menu

Congrats! That has to be an awesome feeling!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

That's fantastic! You worked very hard at it and kept going in the face of adversity. We're all proud of you!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

what! No recording?
    Drumming is the best psychiatry.

User Info Menu

Way to go. I was wondering how that went for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    what! No recording?
    Yeah, I would be interested in seeing a video of the solo that made him win.

User Info Menu

Congrats.............good stuff..........I'd like to see it also, if you have a vid

User Info Menu

Awesome job man way to go.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Great to hear you snagged 1st place Gregg! That's awesome man. Dropping a stick is a good sign that your hands are relaxed and that transcends all the way down to the sticks. The trick is to keep playing and grab another stick. I use a Vader stick holder and have it clamped right under the hihat (stage left). I stopped putting my stick bag around the floor tom since it killed a lot of resonance by blocking the reso head.