Thread: Anyone else rockin' a Yamaha Junior Kit?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone else rockin' a Yamaha Junior Kit?

I've had my Yamaha Manu Katché 6 piece Junior Kit (I added two tubs to the stock 4pc. kit) for over six years now, and hadn't seen anyone out here really talking about junior kits. Just wanted to know if anyone else plays them? This little thing is a monster. Made of Phillipine Mahogany with Evans G2 coated heads, it is my traveling kit, which I lug around in Stagg cases. I've played everything from jazz shows to hard Rock shows on this thing and it does not disappoint.

Am I the only one? Can't be...
    Kevin Mc

My live kit: Yamaha Manu Katché 6pc. Junior Kit with 16" bass drum - yeah, you read that right... Packed around in Stagg cases, this little kit is a monster.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone else rockin' a Yamaha Junior Kit?

I'm rocking a Ludwig junior drumset... turned it into a 10 piece
    Not a Yamaha but a junior kit none the less

User Info Menu

My youngest son has a Gammons junior kit. He loves it and it actually has some decent volume to it.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I play a set of Yammy RYDEEN shells at the practice studio (owned by one of the guitarists).
    They don't sound too great and I would never play them anywhere else, but I will confess I am so happy to have them there so I don't ever need to worry about carting my drums anywhere but to the gigs.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Right on! Nice to see the little kits getting some love out there. I had mine in an LA studio on Hollywood Blvd. a few years back. After three 12 hour days of recording, the studio engineer wouldn't let me break it down until he got samples of the entire kit so the studio could use my drums for future sessions - MIDI, I'm sure. I'm pretty good at tuning a kit, and apparently they noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I play a set of Yammy RYDEEN shells at the practice studio (owned by one of the guitarists).
    They don't sound too great and I would never play them anywhere else, but I will confess I am so happy to have them there so I don't ever need to worry about carting my drums anywhere but to the gigs.
    Ricardo - I would imagine that little kit might have a reasonably decent sound with new heads. I found that the G2 coated heads fixed the almost intolerable sound of the single-layer stock heads which came with mine.
    Kevin Mc

My live kit: Yamaha Manu Katché 6pc. Junior Kit with 16" bass drum - yeah, you read that right... Packed around in Stagg cases, this little kit is a monster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Qoncussion View Post
    Ricardo - I would imagine that little kit might have a reasonably decent sound with new heads. I found that the G2 coated heads fixed the almost intolerable sound of the single-layer stock heads which came with mine.
    Funny you say that...................after hearing the kit a few times and inspection of the awful heads, I replaced all of his batters with coated Emps.........it does help the toms........I put an SK2 batter on the bass............much better...............however that snare is beyond help !
    I also bought him a new DW throne (to save my own butt).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My jungle kit uses an 8in "up" tom from a Ludwig Jr. kit. It sounds good with a coated Ambassador batter. A little "bongo-ish", but that's to be expected from a 8" 4-lug tom. It's actually a nice contrast to the 13" floor tom.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've used my Manu Katche a bunch. Was Bozo blue, stripped, stained and Minwaxed. Much better.I've got a couple bands that request I bring them. Versatile, compact, light to move. They even will fit in my early Miata! Picked them up used at Pro Drum in Hollywood. Had a lot of bigger, flashier sets come and go while they stay here. Saw Matt Wilson playing a set the Monterey Jazz Fest. Said they were back line, but he was buying a set as soon as he got home. Check out this clip of Peter Erskine rocking one with Dianne Krall..........<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0NdJFmyLmMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>101_0143.jpg https://youtu.be/0NdJFmyLmMo
    https://youtu.be/0NdJFmyLmMo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bdonley; 02-22-2017 at 01:20 PM.