Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scratched brilliant finish cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Scratched brilliant finish cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I scratched up a K Custom Hybrid ride a few years back by using Paiste's cleaner on it. Since then, I've used Kick N' Brass cymbal cleaner. It's a liquid - just spray it on, let it sit and wipe it off. If you don't get it all wiped off quickly enough and some of it dries it can leave a mild film that comes right off with soap and water. It's easy, no buffing, no scratches. I know that doesn't help you with your scratches but moving forward it might save you from some heartburn.
    I'll definitely check it out. I don't like this cream stuff all the big brand cymbal companies put out. Did you ever get rid of the scratches on that K?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

IMG_1644.JPG

This is the stuff I used.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I emailed Sabian. I already know they won't do anything about it but it's worth a shot I guess.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I'll definitely check it out. I don't like this cream stuff all the big brand cymbal companies put out. Did you ever get rid of the scratches on that K?
    Doesn't remove logos either. I left the scratches alone. Didn't want to make it worse by trying to make it better.

User Info Menu

Update: here's after a heavy cleaning with the grooves of the cymbal. Way better but you can definitely still see the scratches.

IMG_1655.jpg

-Mike

User Info Menu

Maybe going over it a couple of more times and the scratches will probably disappear for good.

User Info Menu

I've had similar swirly scratch marks on my AAX Stage Ride when I sprinkled Barkeepers Friend on a damp cloth to clean it. In retrospect I realised that I had put too much on the cloth and was scraping parts of the cymbal with dry powder! The scratches were very shallow but noticeable on the cymbal just like yours. I removed the scratches fairly easily using Brasso and a soft cloth. When Brasso dries out it can be difficult to buff off but washing the cymbal with a fairly strong dishwashing detergent solution gets rid of it easily. If you decide to try it - make sure it is LIQUID brasso NOT PASTE (I've hear that Brasso in the States can be a different formula from the stuff available in the UK so make sure you get the right stuff if you decide to try it.

Brasso gets good results for removing light scratches (clean small areas at a time) but it is pretty labour intensive so you wouldn't want to use it as a regular cymbal cleaner.

Be careful to clean around the logos as Brasso will fade them quickly.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 02-18-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Gibberish

User Info Menu

There is a kit that you can find online for polishing brilliant finish cymbals that will return them to factory condition. Completely professional looking, but of course it removes the logos in the process. When I say removes, I mean utterly. No trace, not even that little shadow that normally remains after. Now which is the lesser of two evils. A scratched finish or no logos?

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

If all else fails ,for $40 bucks ,Sabian will refinish them in any finish you want (regular or standard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYhidpo3htM
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

looking a lot better

User Info Menu

I've been emailing back and forth with Sabian. Long story short, they're giving me a warranty. Very nice customer service and fast replies. One of the many reasons why I'll always be with Sabian.

-Mike

User Info Menu

That is killer!! I had some issues a long time ago and they took care of me too.
    Congrats

User Info Menu

I sent the cymbal off today. They told me to send the cleaner in too and they're going to take a look at it. Hopefully I have a new cymbal in 4-6 weeks.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    There is a kit that you can find online for polishing brilliant finish cymbals that will return them to factory condition. Completely professional looking, but of course it removes the logos in the process. When I say removes, I mean utterly. No trace, not even that little shadow that normally remains after. Now which is the lesser of two evils. A scratched finish or no logos?
    For someone like me that plays Wuhans, "no logo" would be just fine...

I guess if I had pro-level stuff, I'd definitely want to save the logos.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

The logos on my Wuhan splashes came off within a week of having them. I noticed there were a few spots chipped off so a rubbed it with my finger. Came off like nothing. It didn't bother me though because I can clean them now without worrying about the logos.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

I have the same feelings about the logos on my Stagg cymbals, as they're worth basically nothing used I can clean 'em quickly with pretty much any cleaning product and not worry about the logos fading (most of the top logos are already history or already very faded).

For the couple of pro level cymbals I own I have to clean slowly and very carefully around the logos - once the logos are gone they are automatically only worth half of their previous price should I have to sell them. Its pretty sad that the ink on the cymbals from the 'big 3' seems to be worth as much as the bronze.

User Info Menu

The logos on my Vintage Zildjians had faded away over the last 40 years so got one of them black magic marker and re-done the logos. Worked pretty good.

User Info Menu

I got the email that my package was received. Now to wait 2-4 weeks.

-Mike