Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratched brilliant finish cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Scratched brilliant finish cymbals

The joys of brilliant finish cymbals. They had a bunch of fingerprints so I figured I would use the Sabian safe and sound cleaner. I used a circular pattern with a microfibre cloth. I had a mini heart attack when I could see the swirls scratched into the cymbal. I'm wondering if polishing again with the grooves will get rid of the scratches. Anyone else experience this?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Scratched brilliant finish cymbals

You can try buffing them out with some 100% pure Carnauba wax. You can get some at your local auto parts store.

User Info Menu

My experience with cleaning cymbals has always been go with the groove not against it like you did. Same would go when sanding wood always with the grain. Just sayin.

User Info Menu

I agree I always go in big circles to follow the cymbal grooves but I'm having troubles wrapping my mind around these "scratches"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I agree I always go in big circles to follow the cymbal grooves but I'm having troubles wrapping my mind around these "scratches"
    Same here especially using a microfiber cloth but then it also depends on what color microfiber used cause some are coarse.

User Info Menu

I'll upload a few pics, but the cymbal cleaner feels like an abrasive. Very gritty stuff. Even though they call it "safe and sound" cymbal cleaner.

-Mike

User Info Menu

tonight I told the wife next time she's at the grocery store to pick up some limes.
    She looked at me and paused a second... then responded with are you cleaning cymbals again?
    I just laughed in shock that she knew and remembered that .

sorry to hear about your more gritty cleaner. I'd be interested to see those pics.

User Info Menu

tonight I told the wife next time she's at the grocery store to pick up some limes.
    She looked at me and paused a second... then responded with are you cleaning cymbals again?
    I just laughed in shock that she knew and remembered that .

sorry to hear about your more gritty cleaner. I'd be interested to see those pics.
    Yeah. As of right now. I really hope I didn't ruin the finish on my brand new crashes. It almost looks like steel wool was used on them. Terrible result.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I doubt anyone would know for sure, but do you guys think polishing with the grooves would get rid of these scratches?

This is the worst polish you can buy period. It doesn't clean, it claws the cymbal until you destroy a layer of metal. I went back and forth with a bit of pressure over a fingerprint. Guess what? The fingerprint is still there, but the scratches are unbelievable.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 02-14-2017 at 11:00 PM.

-Mike

User Info Menu

-Mike

User Info Menu

-Mike

User Info Menu

-Mike

User Info Menu

I agree with you FBN that is a mess for sure. I would contact the company to see what they say about it.

User Info Menu

wow yeah that's crazy!

Well no offense but here's another reason why I don't like brilliant finish cymbals.
    So much hassle to keep them looking nice from stupid simple things like finger prints.

User Info Menu

I've had cymbals that look the same way................after awhile, they get dirtier and you can't see the scratches!

User Info Menu

I quit cleaning cymbals years ago...probably after I scratched them! Don't care anymore....

User Info Menu

Once a year I usually go over my cymbals with water/vinegar mixture on a soft rag just to get the dust build up off. Always follow the groove.

User Info Menu

Mike, I'm so bummed that you ended up with swirls after polishing your cymbals. There are different grades of microfiber towels and some are labeled as "for cleaning" and others are labeled as "for polishing". Obviously, the micro fiber towels labeled as "for cleaning" are more abrasive than those labeled as "for polishing". Also there is a correct way of folding the micro fiber towel.

1. Fold the towel so it has four sides. This provides a cushion between the towel and the surface you're polishing:

2. Never bunch the towel up. This will cause scratches and swirls on the surface and the polish will "pack up" within the fibers

3. Never polish with the towel folded out. There is NO cushion between the towel and the polishing surface and swirls will be created.

Last edited by late8; 02-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

continued...

Do not do this with your towels:

Always polish with a folded towel and always rotate to the clean sides of the towel and check for packed fibers and change to a clean towel if all 8 sides of your towel gets packed up.

User Info Menu

And this is why I don't clean cymbals.

User Info Menu

Like late8 mentioned there are different grades. Blue is all purpose polishing, Orange is for glass and green for buffing or something like that. If you happen to use the wrong one then it can cause damage and scratches. I learned the hardway too when I did my car's dash with the orange not sure that was awhile ago lol.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the color coded info on the towels Gilles. I had swirls when I buffed with an "all purpose" blue microfiber towel. If I polish, I'll use one of these from now on:

Fleece polishing pad-

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for those tips Rich. Late last night I used a different cloth. A yellow microfibre one. I went with the grooves, and it did make the scratches a lot less noticeable. I'm not using this Sabian polish again. In fact, I'm not even using abrasive cleaners. I'll use the crash for a few months. When it gets really dirty, then I'll try and get rid of all of the scratches. I'll experiment and try to make my own cleaner!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I scratched up a K Custom Hybrid ride a few years back by using Paiste's cleaner on it. Since then, I've used Kick N' Brass cymbal cleaner. It's a liquid - just spray it on, let it sit and wipe it off. If you don't get it all wiped off quickly enough and some of it dries it can leave a mild film that comes right off with soap and water. It's easy, no buffing, no scratches. I know that doesn't help you with your scratches but moving forward it might save you from some heartburn.

User Info Menu

Wow. That's crazy. I literally use automotive polishing compound and one of those foam "power ball" attachments on a DeWalt drill. I've taken cymbals from a dull, dark brown to a mirror finish and never had a issue with swirl marks like that. I avoid microfiber towels and try to use foam applicators and soft cotton rags.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham