Thread: Set up issues

User Info Menu

Default Set up issues

Man I am having some real problems trying to get my kit set up comfortably lately. When I started 11 yrs ago I played strictly 2 up one down and played that way for a good 8 years. Then I went to 1 up 2 down and though it was ok I always had a problem going from the 16" (2nd ft) to the snare. Probably was a right hand lead issue now thinking about it.

I then went to a 1 up 1 down 2 yrs ago and loved it, some new songs in the new band almost require a 3rd tom so I have gone back to trying 2 up 1 down and man I just cannot get the 2nd crash in a good comfortable spot. I feel like I am reaching the crash above the right tom and if I move it closer I seem to hit it when rolling thru the toms.

I even tried moving the toms to the left a little and still the 2nd crash is a reach..arrrgghhhh I hate to go back to 1 up 2 down as that requires new drums but starting to think that is the only way. I will look at some pics and try to figure something out but any pics of a good comfy 2 up 1 down set up would be great. BTW I am using 2 crashes, a ride, and a cowbell. Thanks....Also what set up do you use and why?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Set up issues

So I started off with 2 up 1 down. 12x9 13x10 rack toms. Hated it. They were way too high above the bass drum. So I tried offsetting them. Even worse. way too high.

The only 2 up configurations that look comfortable are offset 10 and 12 rack toms. They're perfect. The hats don't need to be moved over that much. Unfortunately, I don't have a 10" tom, so I tried 1 up 2 down in 2012. I can tell you now, I'm never going back.

Crash placement was tough for me. Especially my right 18" crash. I tried above the ride but it was way too awkward. So I tried it farther to the right. Right next to the first floor tom. It may be farther, but it's very comfortable for me. I think you really need a crash a little farther back with a 1 up 2 down because when you roll down to the floor toms, you don't want to have to hit a crash in front of you.

So as of right now, this is my setup: this pic is from a few months ago. The only thing that changed was new crashes.

IMG_1257.jpg
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 02-14-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Nice, looks similar to what I had when I went 1 up 2 dn. do you gig out with that same set up? That is a lot of hardware to pack up and haul?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

It may feel goofy at first but I love a tom to my left. So 1 up 1 left 1 right. But I'm also a left and can act quickly with my left lead for fills.
    But maybe try that once if you're struggling with the 1 up 2 down.,

User Info Menu

I have been playing 1-up, 2-down exclusively since 2012.
    This configuration allows me to keep the rack tom lower and the ride cymbal in the conventional position, both of which I really love.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

you do a super cranked angle on that high tom it looks like.
    My 1 up I like flatter like the snare.
    But to each their own.

User Info Menu

Guess you just need to keep experimenting with placement. Not quite sure why you're having a reach issue with your second crash just because you have two toms up. Anyway, to answer the second part of your question, I go back and forth between 1 up, 2 down and 2 up, one down. Someday, when I understand the need for many drums I'll try 3 up, 2 down.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 02-15-2017 at 02:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    you do a super cranked angle on that high tom it looks like.
    I have replaced the stand holding the 13" tom in that photo................the new stand allows me to flatten the tom a bit more to my liking..............but not completely flat.
    My snare is flat and the bottom of the tom hoop matches the height of the snare hoop...............I've set them up that way my entire life.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

KC5TNG'S YAMAHA OAK CUSTOM DRUM KIT 2015 - LAVA LOUNGE STUDIO.jpg

This is my 3 up 1 down set up...with 3 crashes... left side .. middle and right side and splashes on top left and top right ... from the front is seems the crashes are way high... from the drivers seat, I only raise my right arm by no more than 6 inches to hit the right side crash...same for the middle... the left crash I hit with my left hand and it also is about a 6 inch movement.. reaching the splashes requires a bit more stretch but still easily within reach without sacrificing speed. I need to take a pic from the drivers seat view.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

3 up 1 down and I have the ride between both crash cymbals: pro- easy to reach all three rack toms con- ride and hihat too far away.

2 up 2 down off set: pro: rack toms easy to reach, ride easy to reach con: 2nd rack tom to first floor tom out of reach

2 up 2 down double bass: pro: easy to reach 10" 12" 13" 16" con: hihat too far to left

My favorite set up: 2 up 1 down with both rack toms over the center of the kick. All crash cymbals are within reach and the hihat and ride are relatively closer than any other type of set for me:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    So I started off with 2 up 1 down. 12x9 13x10 rack toms. Hated it. They were way too high above the bass drum. So I tried offsetting them. Even worse. way too high.

The only 2 up configurations that look comfortable are offset 10 and 12 rack toms. They're perfect. The hats don't need to be moved over that much. Unfortunately, I don't have a 10" tom, so I tried 1 up 2 down in 2012. I can tell you now, I'm never going back.

Crash placement was tough for me. Especially my right 18" crash. I tried above the ride but it was way too awkward. So I tried it farther to the right. Right next to the first floor tom. It may be farther, but it's very comfortable for me. I think you really need a crash a little farther back with a 1 up 2 down because when you roll down to the floor toms, you don't want to have to hit a crash in front of you.

So as of right now, this is my setup: this pic is from a few months ago. The only thing that changed was new crashes.

IMG_1257.jpg
    Wow Mike...that's really a nice looking kit and set up!! I know you go through great lengths to keep you rack tom flat. Killer look!

User Info Menu

I started on a standard 5 pc, 2 up, 1 down. Went offset for a couple of years, started gigging a lot and went to a 4 pc for almost a decade. A couple of years ago I actually went back to to a 2 up setup and absolutely love it. When I was young I always thought it was strange to have the ride above the 2nd tom but it plays so comfortable there, I couldn't imagine going back anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice, looks similar to what I had when I went 1 up 2 dn. do you gig out with that same set up? That is a lot of hardware to pack up and haul?
    Sometimes I'll mount the 10" splash off the hats with a boom clamp, and leave the 8" with the stand home. Other than that, my setup doesn't change. The right crash, china and floor tom are all mounted to one stand.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow Mike...that's really a nice looking kit and set up!! I know you go through great lengths to keep you rack tom flat. Killer look!
    Thanks Rich! some think flat toms are impossible to play on. I love them like that. I just have the sliiightest angle.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    It may feel goofy at first but I love a tom to my left. So 1 up 1 left 1 right. But I'm also a left and can act quickly with my left lead for fills.
    But maybe try that once if you're struggling with the 1 up 2 down.,
    I agree. Chad Gracey from the 90s Alternative band Live used to do this.

I started on a 2 up 1 down, went to 3 up 1 down (see Jimmy Chamberlin's kit), then 2 and 2, and after shoulder problems shrunk to a 1:1. It works for me but my own advice is to edit down as much as possible and give priority to the stuff you use the most; i.e., hats, snare, kick, ride all go where it's most comfortable, then everything else can be figured out later.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Nice set up Warren
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Thanks Rich! some think flat toms are impossible to play on. I love them like that. I just have the sliiightest angle.
    I bang rims on flat toms.