Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick bag frustrations....

User Info Menu

Default Stick bag frustrations....

I've been through quite a few stick bags, just don't seem be able to find one that is rugged, quality made, made to last. Most of them have zipper issues, or the nylon is tearing.
    Any advice on good high quality bags?
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick bag frustrations....

jesus what are you doing to your bags man?!

I've had bags for 10+ years and minus some zipper corroded because of drink fails.. most are still up and running.

User Info Menu

I have had mine 12 years and still holding pretty good. I leave mine open and hanging off my tom floor.

User Info Menu

Buy a stick holder instead of a bag? Something that clamps/holds onto one of your stands?

User Info Menu

I bought a reunion blues bag a few years ago..actually got it for my birthday.

It's nice, strong and smells great..........but way too much money.

The nylon 20 dollar bags work fine

User Info Menu

This Meinl bag is really well made and goes for 20 bucks surprisingly. I toss mine around and am not careful with it and it's held up very well.

User Info Menu

I've owned one stick bag in my life.
    I bought it in 1976 so it is now 40 years old.
    I think it was $20 or $25.

It was hand made by a leather-work guy in Dallas.
    It has HD snaps; no zippers............heavy durable cowhide.
    It hangs great on any floor tom; it is still like new.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have one very similar to this that has gotten 20+ years road use and still looks as good as new.

Kaces Not Leather Deluxe Stick Bag
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You are probably carrying too many sticks.

User Info Menu

I like to use the Vic firth marching stick bag. It's very small and I hang it off the lugs of the snare right in front of me. I saw this on a Thomas Lang video and thought it was genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

PRINGLES CAN

sits directly on floor anywhere in vicinity of the drummer

No zippers

easily replaceable!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    PRINGLES CAN

sits directly on floor anywhere in vicinity of the drummer

No zippers

easily replaceable!

all the best...
    LOL! I did that when I got my first drums. It was an entry level Yamaha, but I spent every penny on it. I had to improvise a stick holder and pringles did the trick.

A word of warning though: Original is better than sour cream and onion.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I'm on my 3rd bag. First one was nylon kind of flimsy, 2nd no name vinyl deal which isn't very pliable and the one I use now is a nice leather Pro Mark bag and it's been my favorite thus far. Plus a Vater stick holder mounted off the hh stand.

I'd go with a nice leather one again if I ever need another one. I need to replace my cymbal bag one of these days. The Reunion Blues bags that Butch mentioned make really nice cymbal bags. That was my first choice when I was looking around.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My current bag is a leather Meinl.
    I don't gig, so it literally just stays in my house. I only chose it because it had a cool graphic on it.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I also use a Reunion Blues stick bag. Been having it for about 12 years or so. Extremely well made but really expensive. However, I don't mind paying for quality because I have been through so many others that just didn't hold up for one reason or another before I got this one ... ymmv

I carry the bag in one of my H&B Enduro rolling trap cases. I've unzipped/zipped this bag over a thousand times and it is still tough as nails. Heavy duty zippers still work flawlessly. Leather is still in excellent condition.

Below is a picture showing what I typically carry in it and there's plenty of room for more if I need it.

Last edited by dangermoney; 01-28-2017 at 04:16 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised how many sticks actually get carted around. For me usually 2 pr sticks (different sizes) 1 pair mallets, 1 pr brushes.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have owned only one stick bag. I bought it 20+ years ago at GC for $9-. It's like a vinyl or canvas with the old school GC drum logo, one zipper, and still in great shape. Still gigging with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I also use a Reunion Blues stick bag. Been having it for about 12 years or so. Extremely well made but really expensive. However, I don't mind paying for quality because I have been through so many others that just didn't hold up for one reason or another before I got this one ... ymmv

I carry the bag in one of my H&B Enduro rolling trap cases. I've unzipped/zipped this bag over a thousand times and it is still tough as nails. Heavy duty zippers still work flawlessly. Leather is still in excellent condition.

Below is a picture showing what I typically carry in it and there's plenty of room for more if I need it.

I have a really big zildjian stick bag like that looks similar to that. Same kind of material, just a little wider. I got it from my band teacher in high school, but it's way too big for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

If you are having zipper issues on your bags, try rubbing a little candle wax or even some soap on the zipper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I have a really big zildjian stick bag like that looks similar to that. Same kind of material, just a little wider. I got it from my band teacher in high school, but it's way too big for me.
    Yeah, I freaked out over the size out at first because I was used to the smaller bags. But after I got used to it, it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I doubt that I'll ever go back to a smaller bag ...

User Info Menu

The Vic Firth Stick bag is about the same as the reunion blues bag, a wee bit more on expansive side for a stick bag, but, I bet it will hold up. Sorry I couldn't be more help I don't use one. I have a stick holder that mounts to my floor tom leg its home made and it works fine.

User Info Menu

This thread got me thinking about how I really need a new stick bag myself. I only carry 4 different pairs of stick and a pair of brushes, but I use them all. Just depends on the song and the venue. Anyway, the bag that really caught my eye was the AHEAD bag.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have the same bag. Perfect for 10+ items.
    Sabian B8 20" Ride, B8 Pro 14" Hi Hats, B8 10" Splash, Meinl HCS 10" Splash, HCS 14" Crash, HCS 16" Crash, 18" HCS Crash/Ride, Meinl HiHat Tambourine, PDP DP402 Double Pedal, Sound Percussion 5 Piece, Wuhan China, Mapex Horizion 8 and 10" toms.

User Info Menu

On Friday, I picked up a DW padded stick bag from GC. It was $16 with tax. Seems to be pretty well made. Not too big, not too small. Much more professional than the Walmart plastic bag I've been using
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm guessing you have it stuffed full of sticks. I used to do that but seriously, how many sticks are you going to break in one gig? Now I have 3-4 pair in my bag and even that's more than I need. I've had the same stick bag for almost 30 years with no problems - a basic nylon LP bag. I am considering a Tackle stickbag just because I think they're cool.

Last edited by SuperFortress; 02-18-2017 at 09:15 AM.