Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwig P85 Snare Strainer Fail

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig P85 Snare Strainer Fail

After struggling with a sloppy P85 snare strainer since purchasing the 5x14" Black Beauty six years ago, it finally failed on me yesterday as I was practicing rudiments in the garage. I flipped the snares off to get a better listen to how cleanly I was playing the double stroke roll and when I flipped the snare wires back on, I got nothing. The snare lever had no resistance and moved freely from side to side.

Took off the batter head and strainer and found a missing pin and washer that held the lever and the snare wire mechanism together.

Luckily, I found the pin on the carpet below the snare but the washer was never found.

From day one, the P85 always had play at the strainer (arrow) and the loose sloppy action of the lever gave me no confidence it would work when I needed it. You would think a snare that sells for $729 USD would come with a better snare strainer? I know some who've owned the BB with the P85 had not one issue with it but after researching, I'm in good company. There are many who've had this same problem too.

Would of, should of could of...Going to upgrade to the P86 ($45+tax).

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig P85 Snare Strainer Fail

Wow, that sucks, Rich. You'd think a snare that sells for that much would be a little better quality than that.

Hopefully the P86 will work better.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Wow, that sucks, Rich. You'd think a snare that sells for that much would be a little better quality than that.

Hopefully the P86 will work better.
    I carry a back up snare and pedal at gigs and this reiterates to me why it's a good idea to have them handy. If the strainer would of fell apart during a gig, I'd have to go without and do a quick switch between songs and reach for the back up but when it happened in my garage, I got up and said a few choice words and grabbed some tools...

User Info Menu

Rich, I went with the Trick throw on my BB and the P86 on my Supra...................both work great, but the P86 is a lot cheaper.

Completely agree with you and Mark.............. a "high-end" snare, like a BB, should not come with the cheapest throw possible..........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Rich, I went with the Trick throw on my BB and the P86 on my Supra...................both work great, but the P86 is a lot cheaper.

Completely agree with you and Mark.............. a "high-end" snare, like a BB, should not come with the cheapest throw possible..........
    I remember you mentioned swapping out to the Trick throw-off on your BB but I think I'll stick to the P86 just in case I want to sell it down the line...

User Info Menu

You'd think a snare that sells for that much would be a little better quality than that.
    Isn't that the truth !

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I got up and said a few choice words
    I'll bet you did...............
    My Black Magic does not have the best throw either but so far, so good.
    Apparently, Spaz has seen them with even worse.
    Ludwig should put the best available on these snare drums.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Isn't that the truth !

I'll bet you did...............
    My Black Magic does not have the best throw either but so far, so good.
    Apparently, Spaz has seen them with even worse.
    Ludwig should put the best available on these snare drums.
    I'm glad your Black Magic throw off is holding up. I was in the market for a Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" LM402 snare drum but I'm wondering what throw-off comes with it?

User Info Menu

I found this on the web.......................

The Ludwig Supraphonic Snare Drum features chrome metal shell construction that offers a bright, cutting, and crisp sound found on a multitude of classic pop and jazz hits of the last several decades. The Supraphonic snares are wonderfully responsive, a quality that's further enhanced by their triple-flanged hoops. The 6-1/2" deep version produces deep, fat tone and great projection. 10 classic lugs, with a P-85 throw-off. A versatile drum that's perfect for styles ranging from symphonic to arena rock.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I said it in another thread I'm not a fan of the Ludwig throw offs...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I found this on the web.......................

The Ludwig Supraphonic Snare Drum features chrome metal shell construction that offers a bright, cutting, and crisp sound found on a multitude of classic pop and jazz hits of the last several decades. The Supraphonic snares are wonderfully responsive, a quality that's further enhanced by their triple-flanged hoops. The 6-1/2" deep version produces deep, fat tone and great projection. 10 classic lugs, with a P-85 throw-off. A versatile drum that's perfect for styles ranging from symphonic to arena rock.
    Thanks Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Thanks man....

User Info Menu

I'm glad your Black Magic throw off is holding up. I was in the market for a Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" LM402 snare drum but I'm wondering what throw-off comes with it?
    The 402 comes standard with the P85 but you should be able to order one with the P86 as an option ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 03-07-2016 at 05:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    The 402 comes standard with the P85 but you should be able to order one with the P86 as an option ...
    Very cool!!! Thanks danger!

User Info Menu

Very cool!!! Thanks danger!
    You're welcome ...

User Info Menu

This was the best switch I made. . . . .LOVE IT!!! very simple and effective.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=late8;675402]After struggling with a sloppy P85 snare strainer since purchasing the 5x14" Black Beauty six years ago, it finally failed on me yesterday as I was practicing rudiments in the garage.

^^^ This is going to be tough news for Kay-gee. . He swears by the P-85.

Myself, I replaced the P-85 on most of my Ludwig snares with the P-86 and I have had no issues. The P-86 is a pretty good strainer for the money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    This was the best switch I made. . . . .LOVE IT!!! very simple and effective.
    OMG! What a beauty!!! Thanks for posting...(me drooling)

[QUOTE=ludleg;675506]
    After struggling with a sloppy P85 snare strainer since purchasing the 5x14" Black Beauty six years ago, it finally failed on me yesterday as I was practicing rudiments in the garage.

Myself, I replaced the P-85 on most of my Ludwig snares with the P-86 and I have had no issues. The P-86 is a pretty good strainer for the money.
    Thank you! I'll have to make the investment into the P86. Promised the wife I was going to cool it on the drum stuff but I think she'll understand why I need to spend $45.00 to fix this issue and move on.

User Info Menu

Promised the wife I was going to cool it on the drum stuff but I think she'll understand why I need to spend $45.00 to fix this issue and move on.
    Rich, I have found these techniques very effective when trying to justify expenses(at least it works for me)....

You just have to say to the wife, "Here honey, have some wine." or "Heres some money, go buy yourself some new shoes".

Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Rich, I have found these techniques very effective when trying to justify expenses(at least it works for me)....

You just have to say to the wife, "Here honey, have some wine." or "Heres some money, go buy yourself some new shoes".

lol! I should of never given up the check book. My bad.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ludleg;675506]
    After struggling with a sloppy P85 snare strainer since purchasing the 5x14" Black Beauty six years ago, it finally failed on me yesterday as I was practicing rudiments in the garage.

Mine is the one in the second picture. I've installed them on several shells and of course my supra is outfitted with one. Never even a hint of issue in almost 40 years. Seriously.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 03-08-2016 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

This one?

User Info Menu

After struggling with a sloppy P85 snare strainer since purchasing the 5x14" Black Beauty six years ago, it finally failed on me yesterday as I was practicing rudiments in the garage. I flipped the snares off to get a better listen to how cleanly I was playing the double stroke roll and when I flipped the snare wires back on, I got nothing. The snare lever had no resistance and moved freely from side to side.

Took off the batter head and strainer and found a missing pin and washer that held the lever and the snare wire mechanism together.

[/URL]

Luckily, I found the pin on the carpet below the snare but the washer was never found.

Don't discard your old P85. Luckily you found the "pin," so all you will need for repair will be the "washer," which is called a "c-clip," and is readily available from your local auto parts supplier. Take the pin in to the store and match it with a proper size c-clip. Keep the P85 as a spare.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Don't discard your old P85. Luckily you found the "pin," so all you will need for repair will be the "washer," which is called a "c-clip," and is readily available from your local auto parts supplier. Take the pin in to the store and match it with a proper size c-clip. Keep the P85 as a spare.

GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks GeeDeeEmm! Always great advice!!

User Info Menu

Just going to throw in my $0.02. The trick throw off on my ocdp snare is amazing as well as the DW Mag throw off on my concept. If you're worried about keeping with all Ludwig stuff I understand but I think the trick is definitely worth it. You could keep the P85 and repair it in case you decide to sell the snare and put it in but a Truck throw might just net a little more cash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    This, especially the p85. And this is coming from a guy with a Slingerland Zoomatic and Sonor clock face.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Stock photo of a new Black Magic below reflects a "P85 type" throw.
    It's pretty and it works just fine............but I would not call it a high-quality throw fitting for the Ludwig Black Magic.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian