Thread: 2017 Solar Eclipse

User Info Menu

Default 2017 Solar Eclipse

Any astronomy buffs here? The celestial event happens on Monday, August 21st and will be one of the best ever for the continental US. As it happens, the narrow path of "optimum" visibility passes right over my home town. We also have one of best statistical chances of clear weather for that day along the entire US path. Current estimates by our Chamber of Commerce are (potentially) as many as 60,000+ people from all over the globe will be in our small town that weekend. Every motel within 100 miles is already booked full for that weekend. Being the "opportunist" that I am, I'm organizing my bands annual outdoor multi-band "jam" for that weekend. The county tourism board has been promoting and advertising our town on a national level. Obviously, the boost to our local economy from people here to view the eclipse could be substantial. They have agreed to include my "Jam" event in their advertising as part of our city sponsored activities. I have no clue how big (or small) this will be, but it should be fun. I've hooked up with a local charity and we will be using the event to raise funds for homeless veterans. It's still in the early stages of planning, but we'll see what comes of it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse

I absolutely love astronomy. One day I'll see the haley's comet. It'll be around 60 years from now, but it's worth the wait. I remember watching Venus pass the sun in 2012. It took a pair of welding goggles over sunglasses to see it. On clear night I've gone out of the city to my friend's house where we watch the stars. It's incredible how much the city light hides. You can see the occasional satellite fly over. Just a tiny speck. Oddly enough, I've never seen a shooting star.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

one of my good friends lives there in Lincoln... I should pay him a visit that weekend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I absolutely love astronomy. One day I'll see the haley's comet. It'll be around 60 years from now, but it's worth the wait. I remember watching Venus pass the sun in 2012. It took a pair of welding goggles over sunglasses to see it. On clear night I've gone out of the city to my friend's house where we watch the stars. It's incredible how much the city light hides. You can see the occasional satellite fly over. Just a tiny speck. Oddly enough, I've never seen a shooting star.
    I remember as a kid, I could go out at night and the sky was loaded with stars. Now I'm luck to see only the brightest...even in the country. I assume my vision is not as good as it was, but light pollution is a big part.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    one of my good friends lives there in Lincoln... I should pay him a visit that weekend.
    If you do, come on down. We're only 40 miles south of Lincoln. You can join in the jam. Probably won't have the level of musicians you're used to playing with, but it's about the fun.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

hey I'm all about fun!

User Info Menu

Star guy here. I'll be out watching sort of like I do every night. Star gazer to the maxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Star guy here. I'll be out watching sort of like I do every night. Star gazer to the maxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    You can come too....and bring your band! I'll give you stage time as a band. You might need bring a tent or camper, however. Unless you're willing to sleep in a replica Indian teepee, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You can come too....and bring your band! I'll give you stage time as a band. You might need bring a tent or camper, however. Unless you're willing to sleep in a replica Indian teepee, LOL.
    That's a great offer. Thanks! I'll mention it to the band. What would we need to bring as far as gear?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That's a great offer. Thanks! I'll mention it to the band. What would we need to bring as far as gear?
    Just guitars and any FX pedals. We set up our own sound, amps & multiple drum kits.
    -Brian