Thread: Drum brand/year confusion

User Info Menu

Default Drum brand/year confusion

OK so, I bought this drum set for about 200$ (no cymbals or snare stand) and I was curious if someone knew exactly what brand it is. There is no stamp, badge or etching on or in them anywhere. A couple of the heads say pearl and that's what the people said at the pawn shop I bought it. Then someone brought up the point that the person who sold it had some pearl heads laying around and put them on to sell it for more.
    I've talked to multiple people about them and they said they weren't sure what brand they are, but they think they're pearl.
    So if someone could help me out with a brand and approximate year, i would greatly be appreciated

This link should go to a back up facebook account where I posted some pictures of them. Please let me know if it doesn't work

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&ref=bookmarks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum brand/year confusion

Welcome to Drum Chat.

Based on the pictures, it looks like a CB700 kit.

I have one I recovered and when I get home tonight I'll have a look at the hardware on mine and see if it looks similar. I may post a pic or two for comparisons sake.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Well, I happened upon an early photo of the kit I got from a garage clean out. Check out the hardware. It looks very much like yours.

Reskit1.jpg

Reskit3.jpg

This 2nd picture was taken after I'd rattle can painted the shells. Since then, they have been covered with a Bum Wrap and look way better. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat.

Based on the pictures, it looks like a CB700 kit.

I have one I recovered and when I get home tonight I'll have a look at the hardware on mine and see if it looks similar. I may post a pic or two for comparisons sake.
    Thank you. Its definitely a CB.
    The ones I found online look just like mine. But on the negative side I've had the same issues as some of the other people who've had these drums; broke tension cases, poor sound quality, etc.
    But I still like them and plan to keep them till I get money to buy either a pearl or tama, but I was wondering if I payed too much. I spent 180$ for them at a pawn shop, WITHOUT kick pedal, snare stand, or any cymbals.
    Was it too much?
    PS. I just started playing so it doesn't bother me that it's more of a starter kit

User Info Menu

Yep, looks like an early Pearl Export kit. After Pearl changed the name from Maxwin to Export, but before they went to the long lug casings. They're solid drums. That was a fair price if they're in good shape.

On second thought, Bish could be right. It could be a CB700 or any one of numerous Pearl knock-off kits of that era. The bass drum T-rods look like old Pearls, however. There's 2 ways that I know of to tell. If you can screw a standard tension rod from one of the toms into one of the bass lugs, its probably not a Pearl. They use bigger tension rods on their bass drums. Also, if you remove a lug, it will have "Pearl" cast into it on the inside.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 02-23-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yep, looks like an early Pearl Export kit. After Pearl changed the name from Maxwin to Export, but before they went to the long lug casings. They're solid drums. That was a fair price if they're in good shape.

On second thought, Bish could be right. It could be a CB700 or any one of numerous Pearl knock-off kits of that era. The bass drum T-rods look like old Pearls, however. There's 2 ways that I know of to tell. If you can screw a standard tension rod from one of the toms into one of the bass lugs, its probably not a Pearl. They use bigger tension rods on their bass drums. Also, if you remove a lug, it will have "Pearl" cast into it on the inside.
    The bass rod is significantly larger than the Tom rod (width & length), but no pearl logo anywhere and I stripped it down to just the shells and no logo ANYWHERE. I do think it's a cb, because there was an eBay add selling "cb700 bass lugs" that look exactly the ones on my bass drum.
    BTW they are in really good condition other than a small chip in the bottom part of the bass drum (on the inside)

User Info Menu

Hey Toothgrinder. Pearl made drums for many distributors including the CB series. Here's a bit of Pearl history:

Quote~

"Pearl was founded by Katsumi Yanagisawa -who began manufacturing music stands in Sumida, Tokyo- on April 2, 1946. In 1950, Yanagisawa shifted his focus to the manufacturing of drums and named his company "Pearl Industry, Ltd.

By 1953, the company's name had been changed to "Pearl Musical Instrument Company," and manufacturing had expanded to include drum kits, marching drums, timpani, Latin percussion instruments, cymbals, stands, and accessories.

Yanagisawa's eldest son, Mitsuo, joined Pearl in 1957 and formed a division to export Pearl products worldwide. To meet increasing worldwide demand for drum kits following the advent of rock and roll music, in 1961 Pearl built a 15,000 sq ft (1,400 m2) factory in Chiba, Japan to produce inexpensive drum kits that bore the brand names of more than thirty distributors such as Maxwin, CB-700, Stewart, Werco, Ideal, Crest, Revelle, Revere, Lyra, Majestic, Whitehall, Silvertone, Apollo, Toreador, Roxy, and Coronet."

End Quote~

So in theory, you bought a "Pearl" kit.
    Last edited by late8; 03-01-2017 at 04:41 PM.

User Info Menu

At some point cb 700 changed the lug casing design. They had a round section in the middle of each case. CB700 (Carl Bruno) was making some pretty nice stuff in the later years. Notice the virgin kicks. I broke a lot of those casings on a snare that I use to own. Pot metal. Wish I still had that drum for sentimental reasons mainly. Recorded with it in the early 90's

s-l225 (1).jpg 1982_cb700_drumsets1.jpg

1982_cb700_drumsets5.jpg
    Last edited by slinky; 03-05-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Everyone and their Uncle were using those "coffin style" lugs on their imported cookie-cutter drums.I have Pearl Maxwins, Century drums, Rogers R360 and even Ludwig Jr. kits. The lugs on all of them look identical, but some are made better than others (specifically the Pearls). Some used the same size lugs on the bass drums and toms. Pearl Exports and Maxwins used a larger tension rod diameter on the bass drums.....not sure if CB700 did or not.
    You can buy brand new replacement lugs that match perfectly from several on-line drum builder websites.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Some used the same size lugs on the bass drums and toms. Pearl Exports and Maxwins used a larger tension rod diameter on the bass drums.....not sure if CB700 did or not.
    The lugs are larger on the bass drum of the CB kit I have than they are on the toms. Good catch on a detail.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    The lugs are larger on the bass drum of the CB kit I have than they are on the toms. Good catch on a detail.
    The lug castings are larger....what about the tension rods? When I bought new T-rods for my Maxwin, I found out that Pearl uses a larger diameter tension rod on the bass drums. I'm not sure about other major brands (like Ludwig, Gretsch, Tama, etc), but I know the non-Pearl made stencil Taiwan drums I've seen use the same size tension rods as on the toms.
    -Brian