Thread: Tempo Memory

User Info Menu

Default Tempo Memory

Anybody here use one of those digital metronomes for tempo memory ?
    As in..................store a series of tempos in the order of your set list ?
    (And actually rely on it at live gigs.)
    How does that work for you ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tempo Memory

I have one I play around with once in a great while. Never taken it to a gig. I've also used it just to be able to note the BPS of a particular song and even found some songs drift. Go figure, huh?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Because i'm a singer/guitarist as well as a drummer, my method is to simply imagine (sing) the songs chorus to myself and count off a tempo from that. Not very scientific or dead accurate to the last bpm but works well.

all the best...

User Info Menu

It's gathering dust. Don't use it. Seems a bit extreme IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I've also used it just to be able to note the BPS of a particular song and even found some songs drift. Go figure, huh?
    I am playing to three songs right now that drift on their CDs....................one of them is really noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Because i'm a singer/guitarist as well as a drummer, my method is to simply imagine (sing) the songs chorus to myself and count off a tempo from that. Not very scientific or dead accurate to the last bpm but works well.
    I'm with you KG; been using the chorus method my entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    It's gathering dust. Don't use it. Seems a bit extreme IMHO.
    Yes, extreme............................but I wanted to ask.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I thought about it for a second but decided not to go that route . The lead singer in the band I play for counts off the songs . He's the leader
    and it's his band so...
    He will count it off at one tempo and then as the song goes along he will either want the song faster or slower .
    In another band I play with I use a Roland SPD-S sample pad with horn phrases and keyboard loops . You have to maintain the tempo if it's going to work . So if I'm can't remember the tempo I hit the pad with the loop and I'm good .
    By the way ...since I'm the one who played all the loops into my SPD-S I used several time keeping devices . And get this , if you set them all to play at ..say 110 bpm ..after like 18 bars they all start to drift from each other ! And it becomes more apparent as you get like 24 bars down .

User Info Menu

Yup Chorus memory for tempo here too....

User Info Menu

I only use metronomes in practice... live it's all free playing. I just hope my practice worked lol

User Info Menu

/\This

User Info Menu

Repeat Statement #6.

I've said this before: If you start a song at 100 BPM, and finish at 102, nobody gives a damn. I've yet to see anyone bring a 'nome to a gig to time a band.

On the other hand, if you start a song at 100 BPM and finish at 92 or 110, obviously a 'nome is in your future. In 45+ years of gigging (and rehearsals) I've probably played 200,000 songs. I could not tell you the BPM of any of them, nor did I care. If you can't "feel" a song within 1-2 BPM, maybe you should start your day with Cheerios, a 'nome, and some black coffee. Also, the well known book of 1 page called "Counting To 4" might be a good thing to have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Repeat Statement #6.

I've said this before: If you start a song at 100 BPM, and finish at 102, nobody gives a damn. I've yet to see anyone bring a 'nome to a gig to time a band.

On the other hand, if you start a song at 100 BPM and finish at 92 or 110, obviously a 'nome is in your future. In 45+ years of gigging (and rehearsals) I've probably played 200,000 songs. I could not tell you the BPM of any of them, nor did I care. If you can't "feel" a song within 1-2 BPM, maybe you should start your day with Cheerios, a 'nome, and some black coffee. Also, the well known book of 1 page called "Counting To 4" might be a good thing to have.
    Yup same here, I have no idea what the BPM of any of the thousands of songs I've played over the years is.