Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Reso Heads --- How Often ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Reso Heads --- How Often ?

I bought my PDP X7 kit in 2011 it still has the stock reso heads on all the toms. I've been told if I replace them with a better head like an Evans G1 I'll get a better sound. When it comes time to get new heads for the batter's I may change out the reso's as well and see if there is a difference.

User Info Menu

Bought my Pacific CX Maples in 2000 - the first year they were available. Now, 17 years later, they still have the original DW resos on them. When I still gigged a lot and had my Recording Customs, I used to change out the resos at least once a year. (At that time I worked in a music store, so I got store cost and there is a BIG markup on heads.) Even with almost two decades on them, my resos just don't seem to offer any less tone than when they were new. A fresh batter head wakes them up with a vengeance.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I have changed reso's once after about 3 years on a brand new kit and found no difference, atleast not enough to justify the expense. I just stumbled on this video and it kind of reaffirm's to me that replacing reso's purely because you think they may be worn is a waste of money.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yeah, I saw that making the rounds. I rarely ever change the reso heads.

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

To all you guys who don't change them. PLEASE just do it once. It will blow your mind.

They vibrate as much as the batter heads and create all the tone.

I change mine every time I record usually. I try for every 2 times I do the batters, sometimes every 3, but It makes a HUGE difference in the overall sound.

It's expensive chaging all the heads, but so worth it.. I find the snare especially as I like to keep a tight reso. they stretch out over time too.