Thread: Best bongos for $130

User Info Menu

Default Best bongos for $130

I am looking to buy a pair of bongos for $130. Any specific suggestions? I know it's on the low end.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best bongos for $130

The LP bongos run new for $130-$150 but a word of warning about buying the LP line. DW now owns LP and to find replacement heads for their bongos, you have to go to Guitar Center. Replacement heads for the Performer Series need to be special ordered from an authorized dealer such as Guitar Center. Check Meinl or Pearl bongos. Their replacement heads seem to be more readily available without needing to be special ordered.

User Info Menu

So you're saying that ALL LP bongos only work with replacement heads from guitar center? Because I know that the performer series needs to be ordered from guitar center, but I thought the other models in the series (City, Aspire, Matador, etc) could be ordered from other places.

Should I stick with selections from Meinl and Pearl then? Any specific models?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luckydrummer View Post
    So you're saying that ALL LP bongos only work with replacement heads from guitar center? Because I know that the performer series needs to be ordered from guitar center, but I thought the other models in the series (City, Aspire, Matador, etc) could be ordered from other places.

Should I stick with selections from Meinl and Pearl then? Any specific models?
    What I found out since DW took over LP, and Gibraltar and a few other brands, inventory is hit and miss at the authorized dealers such as GC. As an example, my local independent music store has to have a minimum $500 order before they can restock their shelves with Gibraltar products. If you're going to invest in a set of bongos, check around to see what support you're going to get from the company. I own a pair of Matador bongos and the heads have been on for ages but I don't use them on a regular bases so replacing the heads is not an issue.

User Info Menu

Love my Meinl Headliners. If you shop around you may find the Freeride's close to that price.

Check out that popular online marketing site for "Meinl Percussion FWB190LB Free Ride Series Wood Bongos, Leopard Burl Finish" & "Meinl 6.75-inch + 8-inch Freeride wood Series Bongo". These are great bongos and in your price range.

Meinl Freeride Leopard.jpg

Meinl Freeride.jpg
    Last edited by Howzit; 04-18-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    Better the devil you know, than you don't know! (Better the devil you know, the real devil is me!)