Thread: Behind my PDP and Pork Pie kits

User Info Menu

Default Behind my PDP and Pork Pie kits

So I finally got around to recording a quick video of my two main kits I play out on.

Here's my PDP X7 with the newly added 8" tom placement

User Info Menu

Default Re: Behind my PDP and Pork Pie kits

Here is my Pork Pie

Once I put my Yamaha back together I'll take a quick video tour of that monster.

User Info Menu

Zack your drums sound great man. You are quite the skilled drummer and love the way you describe your kits in detail and the sound of those drums are incredible. Thanks for sharing man
    Gilles

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Zack your drums sound great man. You are quite the skilled drummer and love the way you describe your kits in detail and the sound of those drums are incredible. Thanks for sharing man
    Gilles
    Thank you for the compliments. I appreciate it. I just love what I do and have fun doing it.

User Info Menu

Def like the sound of the PP better.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Really liked those videos! I'd love to see one of you playing the maple monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Awesome kits, love the sound of the PP popcorn snare! Can't wait to see the Yamaha monster as well.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Cool drum video tour Zack. Have you considered swapping out the chrome GTS type mount on the PP to R.I.M.S aluminum tom holders? From what I read, chrome has a negative affect on tonal resonance due to its hardening process and it tends to "choke" out any natural tones from the shell. I have a Gretsch USA Custom that uses a similar tom holder design and the GTS tom holders are chrome plated. R.I.M.S has totally re-vamped their tom holders and now uses an aluminum alloy which is lighter (less dense) than chrome plated steel and the comparison between both types of mounts was astonishing. I thought it might of been another marketing attempt to push a new product from Gauger Percussions (R.I.M.S.) but now that I heard the difference, my next big upgrade for the Gretsch will be to replace both GTS mounts with the R.I.M.S. aluminum alloy tom holders. I've seen several members on Drumchat (dangermoney being one) that use the newer aluminum tom holders and hopefully they can chime in.

What was also impressive was the sliding (moveable) lug holder for each R.I.M.S. mount and with 2 mounting points at 180 degrees from each other. Gauger claims it relieves a lot of tension on the shell and this allows the shells to resonate more if the center of gravity is divided in half.

Last edited by late8; 03-02-2017 at 09:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Very cool Spaz! The kits sounds great!
    Makes me want to try some of my stuff on vid again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Cool drum video tour Zack. Have you considered swapping out the chrome GTS type mount on the PP to R.I.M.S aluminum tom holders? From what I read, chrome has a negative affect on tonal resonance due to its hardening process and it tends to "choke" out any natural tones from the shell. I have a Gretsch USA Custom that uses a similar tom holder design and the GTS tom holders are chrome plated. R.I.M.S has totally re-vamped their tom holders and now uses an aluminum alloy which is lighter (less dense) than chrome plated steel and the comparison between both types of mounts was astonishing. I thought it might of been another marketing attempt to push a new product from Gauger Percussions (R.I.M.S.) but now that I heard the difference, my next big upgrade for the Gretsch will be to replace both GTS mounts with the R.I.M.S. aluminum alloy tom holders. I've seen several members on Drumchat (dangermoney being one) that use the newer aluminum tom holders and hopefully they can chime in.

What was also impressive was the sliding (moveable) lug holder for each R.I.M.S. mount and with 2 mounting points at 180 degrees from each other. Gauger claims it relieves a lot of tension on the shell and this allows the shells to resonate more if the center of gravity is divided in half.

Very interesting I had no idea.... I'll have to look into this more.
    But I'm pretty happy on how much my PorkPie kit shines bright especially compared to my PDP.
    But I have different heads/tuning and dampening.