Thread: Brought home some new tubs today. Ludwig Classic Maple! BOOM!!

User Info Menu

Default Brought home some new tubs today. Ludwig Classic Maple! BOOM!!

So I am still in the middle of a project rewrapping my 70s ludwig kit. I am getting lazy with it so I figured I would stop into a couple local drum shops just to look and see if anything in there would give me that little bit of extra motivation I need to get back to work. They had this kit in there in the only other finish I was debating for my rewrap. I had to give them a home and boy am I glad I did.

They are Ludwig Classic Maple, around 2013 I think before they changed over to the new badges. I still haven't really got everything set up yet exactly like I want, this is all new sizes to me, so making it work is a little tricky since I am short. Kick is 26x14, rack tom is 14x12 and the floor tom is 18x16. Pretty much Bonham sizes without a 16x16 which I will probably hunt down now. Wow these drums boom like cannons. I am overly thrilled with this kit and dont think I could ever go back to a 22" kick. On with the pics, sorry about some of my kids toys being in the mess.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Brought home some new tubs today. Ludwig Classic Maple! BOOM!!

wow sweet looking kit, not sure I could ever get used to the tom way to the left like that as well as a 26" BD but I would sure like to try one out. That is gorgeous. Bet that would be a bear to gig with though?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Wow nice find!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    wow sweet looking kit, not sure I could ever get used to the tom way to the left like that as well as a 26" BD but I would sure like to try one out. That is gorgeous. Bet that would be a bear to gig with though?
    Thanks! Thats pretty much where I have always kept my rack tom on other kits I have owned, maybe I am just used to it being there. Its just a little higher now so that will take some getting used to, plus its the size of some peoples floor tom lol. The 26 sounds great, I never could get this kind of thump put of my 22, just took a couple kicks to make me a believer.

Everything there fit in my mini cooper with room to spare! I would have no problem lugging it around. I might even be able to fit another FT with more thoughtful packing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Wow nice find!
    Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Those are awesome. Love the gold sparkle. Congrats!
    I have two early '70s Luddy project kits that need wrapped as well. I struggle with the motivation (and finances) too. It comes and goes. The one I really want to finish is 28x14, 14x10 and 16x14...all with the long "Mach" lugs. I'm leaning towards Citrus Mod wrap.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Those are awesome. Love the gold sparkle. Congrats!
    I have two early '70s Luddy project kits that need wrapped as well. I struggle with the motivation (and finances) too. It comes and goes. The one I really want to finish is 28x14, 14x10 and 16x14...all with the long "Mach" lugs. I'm leaning towards Citrus Mod wrap.
    Thanks! Yes, its a ton of work doing a rewrap especially having to remove 40yr old cortex. I bet that 28x14 will be a monster! Citrus mod is a great looking wrap. If I wasn't so much into sparkles, one of the mods would have been my choice. I chose to wrap the 70s kit in turquoise sparkle. It was going to be that or gold sparkle. I picked the turquoise because its less common. That kit is 24x14, 13x9, 14x10, 16x16 and 18x16.

User Info Menu

Those. Are. Sweet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Those. Are. Sweet.
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

WOW.............love the wrap and the sizes are interesting too.
    The Ludwig CM series sounds very good as well..................good score.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campbellj25 View Post
    Thanks! Yes, its a ton of work doing a rewrap especially having to remove 40yr old cortex. I bet that 28x14 will be a monster! Citrus mod is a great looking wrap. If I wasn't so much into sparkles, one of the mods would have been my choice. I chose to wrap the 70s kit in turquoise sparkle. It was going to be that or gold sparkle. I picked the turquoise because its less common. That kit is 24x14, 13x9, 14x10, 16x16 and 18x16.
    I would prefer gold glitter, but I'd have to take out a loan to afford enough wrap to do the 28x14, LOL. Citrus Mod can be bought as a digital print from Bum Wrap, making it cheap.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice pick up for sure! Love the color

User Info Menu

Beauty!! Congrats!!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous kit!

User Info Menu

Mmmmmmm....Ludwig

done in the voice of Homer Simpson!! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the nice comments! I am so stoked about these drums. Can't wait to get to playing them a little later!

User Info Menu

Very Very nice! I had a Ludwig Super Classic Maple from 1992 to 1997, great kit.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Thanks! I'm really enjoying this kit and being able to get back into playing. Best part is I get to play with my 5yr old. He wanted his kit set up beside mine, so his wish was my command! We have jammed together all weekend. Nothing better!