Thread: Which Kit to SELL? The horror!

User Info Menu

Question Which Kit to SELL? The horror!

I just bought yet another kit, I now own 3. And three kits is too many for the space I have. One of the three really needs to go. I play in a band and we have a dedicated rehearsal space, I also have a studio at home that I keep one kit in. The rehearsal space kit is also my gigging kit. I need help deciding which kit to sell of the three. If I had the room, I'd just keep all three and have a gigging kit too, but there is just no space.

The studio kit is a 2000 DW Collectors Natural Satin Oil, 8", 10", 12" 14", 16" 18x22"k, 5.5x14"s and 5x12"s Mint NOS condition (It never travels and is expertly maintained brand new DW heads and all ATA Hardshell cases.
    The rehearsal/ gigging kit is a 2015 DW Performance series Pewter Sparkle 8", 10", 12" 14", 16x20"k, 6x14"s and 7x13"s all small drums in Gator Tour drum bags, kick in a SKB roto-X.
    The new kit is a 2009 DW Collectors Blue Sparkle with satin chrome hardware 10", 12", 14" 16x23"k, 5.5x14" Edge snare (natural Lacquer) All drums in SKB roto-X cases. I would not sell the Edge with this one.

Here's the situation. The studio kit is the oldest, but it was my "I'll be buried with this kit" kit. It is also big, with lots of expensive cases and would be priced high enough that it might scare off buyers.
    The Performance series kit is the newest, and I love the HVX shells, and the punch of the 20" kick, but it is probably the easiest to find a buyer for.
    The new kit just kind of "goes" with my band (honestly that's why I got it) and I really like the deep thud of the 23" kick. Is it a good plan to just clean it up, do a full head swap and flip it? Dunno.

So there you have it. If you were in my shoes, which one would you sell?
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Kit to SELL? The horror!

I wish I had 3 DW kits to choose from PERIOD! HAHAHA I'm so jealous of your difficult position haha

I myself would pack one up nicely in the corner like a Christmas tree and not sell any.
    I'm no help

User Info Menu

I would dump the Performance kit .
    It is my opinion , and MINE only , that anyone who is going to shell out crazy money for a drum kit would just as well buy a new one . And I have a feeling that the Performance kit would sell at a "fair" , or would be considered as so , price even if it were close to the new price . But that's just me .

User Info Menu

I would ditch the Performance kit. It would be affordable to snag as a "used" kit for a guy like me who's always on a budget and looking for the "best bang for the buck".

User Info Menu

I also agree to sell the performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

If the new blue sparkle goes with your band than it sounds like that one becomes your gigging kit and you sell the performance. Hope to own a collectors someday myself.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I would ditch the Performance kit. It would be affordable to snag as a "used" kit for a guy like me who's always on a budget and looking for the "best bang for the buck".
    You're on a budget??? LOL So is the government of most countries!!!

Ha ha

all the best...

User Info Menu

Honestly, 3 kits is not too many. There, problem solved.

User Info Menu

the performance series has to go.... if any

the kit is just another out of the factory IMHO ....not to say its not a great kit because its one of the best top of the middle but under a proper pro kit .. it ain't no collector ..you dig?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    You're on a budget??? LOL So is the government of most countries!!!

Ha ha

all the best...
    Hey kay...You got me confused with Bish

User Info Menu

Keep all... but if one goes, it'd be the Performance. I just bought another kit and had to pick one to sell, so I know the feeling. I don't have space for 4 kits, so I had to let one go.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips! The overwhelming consensus is let the Performance kit go. It may come to that. On your recommendation, move all the Mays mics out of the Performance kit and put them in the Blue Glass kit and play 2 gigs with it. Hopefully by then I will know in my heart what I have to do.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Honestly, 3 kits is not too many. There, problem solved.
    I agree. One at home, one at the band practice space and one that stays packed and ready to gig. Perfect.
    If I had 3 DW kits, I would also need a 4th kit...a "beater" kit to use for those times when the possibility of damage exists. (Like outdoor gigs in the Spring, open stage events, rough crowds, etc.)
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I agree. One at home, one at the band practice space and one that stays packed and ready to gig. Perfect.
    If I had 3 DW kits, I would also need a 4th kit...a "beater" kit to use for those times when the possibility of damage exists. (Like outdoor gigs in the Spring, open stage events, rough crowds, etc.)
    If I had a DW set I would proudly play it anywhere. I don't follow the "beater set" philosophy ( except for a gig that involves a canoe trip to get there or something like that)

all the best..

User Info Menu

I supply the back line kit for several open stage events through the summer. I've had them sit out on a stage in direct sun and 100*F+ heat with high humidity all afternoon. Then when it cools down, the inside of the shells are dripping with condensation. There's been people play my old Export kit that I would never let within 10ft of a $3K DW kit. Also had a fight break out at one gig, right in front of the stage. A few years back, a guy was killed in a fight in the beer garden at a small venue I've played at before. Thankfully I wasn't there that night. Sometimes my kit sits out in the truck all night in sub-zero temps...or could be stolen. I just feel better knowing that I have a $150 Export kit for times when the "unforeseen" becomes a possibility!
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I supply the back line kit for several open stage events through the summer. I've had them sit out on a stage in direct sun and 100*F+ heat with high humidity all afternoon. Then when it cools down, the inside of the shells are dripping with condensation. There's been people play my old Export kit that I would never let within 10ft of a $3K DW kit. Also had a fight break out at one gig, right in front of the stage. A few years back, a guy was killed in a fight in the beer garden at a small venue I've played at before. Thankfully I wasn't there that night. Sometimes my kit sits out in the truck all night in sub-zero temps...or could be stolen. I just feel better knowing that I have a $150 Export kit for times when the "unforeseen" becomes a possibility!
    I feel the same as you. There are venues that are not "drum friendly" due to no stage or no awning, typically out doors. I'm using an old Export kit for band practice in my garage, an ekit at the second rehearsal location due to it being within snow level and I don't stress about rubber pads. If my band heads into the studio, I'll use the Gresch USA Custom or the DW Collectors

User Info Menu

9 out of 10 gigs we play are not an issue. It's that 1 in 10 that warrants keeping a $150 Export kit laying around. I remember practicing at our old bass players house. My drums were less that 4ft away from a wood burning stove and he smoked like a train in his house. The tar stains on my drums and the smell were disgusting. Plus, it acquired 2 bent rods on the bass and no one knew how it happened...

Then again, my standard "gig kit" is a Sound Percussion Bop kit that I got off CL for $100, LOL. And my "best" kit is only a $599 PDP. I'm so cheap, I pinch a wooden nickel until the buffalo toots.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 03-06-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I didn't read all the replies but will give you my suggestion.

Sell the kit you can get the most ROI without giving up one your heart is hooked on. That's how I did it. Eventually I found all could be given up without heart ache.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey Collin....................

I bumped this thread to let you know I sent you a PM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)