Thread: No longer my friend. ex drummer buddy

User Info Menu

Default No longer my friend. ex drummer buddy

For a while now I've been jamming with this older guy who's a pretty good drummer and He's has taught me quite a few new grooves and made me hip to a lot of things drums related. But what he did really angered me. I go over to his trailer park to jam with this other old man and he starts recording me on his smart phone making videos when I wasn't aware. While it's really no big deal. I mean from the day I first meet him he always made these recordings of me jamming riffs and stuff mostly just audio recordings. But it just really irked me because he did this behind my back and then later showed me footage thinking that I would be ok with it. But I jump his butt over invading my privacy that and hitting up my other buddy for pain pills while I was on the subject of crap he does that I just won't tolerate.
    Just felt like it was obnoxious and I have no control if he decides to upload it or anything. Needless to say we're no longer friends because I'm not gonna put up with somebody filming me everytime I turn around . I told him if I wanted to make videos then I would! I don't need a biographer but how do you folks feel about that I wonder. I don't think it's against the law but probably should be.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Default Re: No longer my friend. ex drummer buddy

To be honest with you, I doubt I would give it a 2nd thought.

User Info Menu

I personally hate it as well. Been times jamming with someone on guitars and such and it's really sounding kinda bad...Meanwhile, their wife is filming away and shooting off to facebook or something. Not cool.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    To be honest with you, I doubt I would give it a 2nd thought.
    Same.

What would you do if you saw someone film you at a gig? Because, it happens all the time. I've found countless videos of us on YouTube from this one lady who follows all the local bands. She takes short clips from a lot of our songs and posts them all over social media and YouTube. I actual flattered, not offended.

Tex

User Info Menu

In today's world, if you have a problem with being videotaped...........be prepared to live with a problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Same.

What would you do if you saw someone film you at a gig? Because, it happens all the time. I've found countless videos of us on YouTube from this one lady who follows all the local bands. She takes short clips from a lot of our songs and posts them all over social media and YouTube. I actual flattered, not offended.

Tex
    OMG..........we have one of those around here. Nicest person in the world. She spends every single day of every single weekend listening to local bands, takes videos and posts them on FB. She's become quite the icon around these parts. Her videos get thousands of view.

User Info Menu

some people like to document absolutely everything even if they never look at it , i would just let them be ...he wasn't filming you taking a piss or something?

User Info Menu

When an old married couple argues over the thermostat, they aren't arguing over the thermostat. I think this was just the excuse you used to get rid of this pillhead. And I'm not saying that to be a jerk. You wanted to cut him loose and you did. No shame in that.

User Info Menu

kinda creepy.... trailers, old guys and cameras....

User Info Menu

I want to be aware I'm on camera...period. I work in TV video production and there are privacy rules that apply to private and public property as far as a disclosure notice posted of cameras being present and recordings made while on private property. Your rights would not have been violated if you were aware of the filming but to do it without your consent is an invasion of your privacy.

On the other hand, if this old guy was filming you on public property, the law would be on his side if you were of legal age in your state. Minors must have a written release from a parent or legal guardian to have their faces published, or filmed for commercial purposes (profit) which I assume doesn't apply to you.

In my opinion, you have every right to be angry. I bought and had a company install security cameras on my property after a burglary and disclosure signs are posted at my front gate (425 ft. driveway) and a ADT Security camera warning sticker is posted near the exterior camera. This not only serves as a possible deterrent for future thieves but it also covers any privacy liability.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    When an old married couple argues over the thermostat, they aren't arguing over the thermostat. I think this was just the excuse you used to get rid of this pillhead. And I'm not saying that to be a jerk. You wanted to cut him loose and you did. No shame in that.
    Umm yes. I do realize that this is the world we live in today. We were outside jamming in this guy's yard I just didn't like it that he feels the need to do this crap and do it without my knowlede. I don't like the ideal of havin any unflatering video footage of me picking my nose or something then having it uploaded to the interweb and not having any editing control over it.

If it was a fan who done it and I have had a lady who did this with the last band I was in do it an I didn't really mind so much.. But yeah if you are in the public areana then yeah your fair game I guess. I just thought it was obnoxious and that you should at least ask if somebody minded if you recorded them rather than just do it all secret like
    . You ever seen that one old candid camera clip where the lady pulls up at the local garage and says to the mechanic my cars not runnin right so the guy pops the hood and the engine gone... hehe
    Last edited by wired; 03-03-2017 at 11:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Sounds a little creepy to me.

User Info Menu

Damn right it's creepy lol! Get out my life like right now! The old man was his neighbor that also plays lead guitar mostly old bluegrass songs and him and me were just sitting in the front yard playing old country songs,I always dig hanging with old folks and hearin their old war stories so it's really no big deal. I just ain't down with the candid camera crap.
    Last edited by wired; 03-03-2017 at 03:15 PM.

User Info Menu

You do realize that was Willie Nelson and Hank Williams Jr. you just blew off, right?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Anytime I play, I automatically assume I'm being recorded. Youtube, Facebook Live, Periscope, etc. It's the "in" thing to do today..
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Like I said before. I can understand it if we're all at the club gigging and somebody's wife or fan just has to make a phone video and upload it. But having somebody is my inner circle of friends doing it all the time just made me feel uncomfortable. It's like I have to be on my guard at all times or this bonehead might upload something for the whole world to see. When you allow somebody to do this then you are in fact giving them control to a certain degree. That is if you permit them to do this crap without ever saying anything about it. I don't like being a Jerk. But you gotta respect people's privacy for crying out loud!

Let's say you were seeing another girl than your current girlfriend and this bozo captures it on film then he could blackmail you ect. Just not a cool thing to do. While it may be the "In" thing to do these days.Why can't people just say" Hey,You don't mind if I record this do you?" If he had done that then it would of been alright I wouldn't of gotten so mad about it. Yep...... Splish,Splash,I was a taken a bath,Along about a Saturday night...Umm uu oh.......

User Info Menu

The third sentence of the post speaks volumes. "So I go over to his trailer park to jam with this older guy". No wonder so much of the advice I give is either, questioned, discredited, or disregarded. People are crazy. Everyone thinks they're so unique. That their personal experience somehow makes them different, but it doesn't, and here's why. There is one common, constantly emerging theme. You are all crazy. Crazy in your own unique and special way. Like snowflakes. Uniquely insane snowflakes.
    Last edited by SunDog; 03-03-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    The third sentence of the post speaks volumes. "So I go over to his trailer park to jam with this older guy". No wonder so much of the advice I give is either, questioned, discredited, or disregarded. People are crazy. Everyone thinks they're so unique. That their personal experience somehow makes them different, but it doesn't, and here's why. There is one common, constantly emerging theme. You are all crazy. Crazy in your own unique and special way. Like snowflakes. Uniquely insane snowflakes.
    Haahahahahaaaaaa
    Next time you're in the neighborhood, stop. We'll tip a beverage.....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I want to be aware I'm on camera...period.

In my opinion, you have every right to be angry. I bought and had a company install security cameras on my property after a burglary and disclosure signs are posted at my front gate (425 ft. driveway) and a ADT Security camera warning sticker is posted near the exterior camera. This not only serves as a possible deterrent for future thieves but it also covers any privacy liability.
    Thank you ,glad to know somebody agrees

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I want to be aware I'm on camera...period.

Thank you ,glad to know somebody agrees. I was jamming with his neighbor who was the old man. I think he's in his 70s and while I was playing my exdrummer buddy is the one who started filming me while I wasn't aware incase anybody is confused. The old man is not some pervert or anything like that. lol.. Not that creepy. But yeah just an invasion of my privacy that's all. It may the "In" thing today today,but I do feel that it's insensitive and rude. I could go on about the evils of smart phones and how they dumb people down but thats another thread. Thank you all for the feedback I just felt like venting in a little bit. Sorry if I come off as a crazy nut. Just still angry about it.

User Info Menu

This is a classic case of "making a mountain out of a molehill".

This might bother me, then again, maybe not. Jennifer Lawrence lives with this 24/7, how do you think she feels?

If you are in the can picking your nose and 30 paparazzi open the door and start shooting, yeah, that would probably pi$$ some people off, but a guy (old or not) with a cell phone camera......................probably not.

Willie Nelson just tries not to get caught with his bong.

More people have taken pictures of my car in the last 16 months than they have ever taken of me. Somehow I feel left out.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 03-03-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: ============

User Info Menu

Well, it was the pill head stuff too. He had to go... You might think it's petty or crazy of me for being like this. But I just have a few rules that have served me well over the years. For one if I know somebody can't be trusted then I don't want them around me. As far as the Paparazzi's of the world goes. I would question the intergrity of any one that chose to work in that field. I think that they are morally loathsome. Sure as hell wouldn't have one for a friend.
    Last edited by wired; 03-03-2017 at 09:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Haahahahahaaaaaa
    Next time you're in the neighborhood, stop. We'll tip a beverage.....
    You got yourself a deal there Bishy

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

just kidding

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN