Thread: The Mysterious Chrome-Rotting Glue................A Warning

User Info Menu

Default The Mysterious Chrome-Rotting Glue................A Warning

I have a friend that told me about his son and the trouble he had with the GPR hard-shell cases.
    Apparently, the cases are made with an adhesive that somehow ruins your hardware -- it pits your chrome -- hoops, lugs, stands, any plating surface.

He told me Gator replaced his cases with a new line and gave him a check for more than his drums are worth.............he has a set of Gretsch and a set of Yamaha and they were both damaged.

Anyone here heard of this ?

You can Google "gator drum cases lawsuit" and it will pop right up as "GPR Cases Statement".
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Mysterious Chrome-Rotting Glue................A Warning

I've heard of this in the past. I didn't know this was still happening. They should've fixed it long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yep. I know several guys this happened to. They changed the chemical composition of the glue they use (quite a while back) but who knows how many of these cases are still out there.....sitting in a storage unit and eating the chrome off expensive vintage drums.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Both of you guys are correct that this "case" has been out there a while...................first mention I find is 2011.
    I just learned about it yesterday when I found out this guy's son got a check from Gator.

I quickly thought about my cases and bags.................what brand(s) did I buy ?
    I don't think I have anything from Gator.

Bluz makes the correct point about drums sitting in these cases in storage....................yikes.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Both of you guys are correct that this "case" has been out there a while...................first mention I find is 2011.
    I just learned about it yesterday when I found out this guy's son got a check from Gator.Bluz makes the correct point about drums sitting in these cases in storage....................yikes.
    would not worry about current Gator products the problem was only in one specific line of cases. They cut me a check for more than $5,000. I only paid 3000 for my drum but they wanted me to give them a price for all the damaged Chrome so I priced what it would cost to replace all the hardware and that's what I come up with. But they did not cover my cases. I still use those cases I took out the liner and all the glue and they're just fine now. I think I got my payment about three years ago

User Info Menu

website says they stopped making the case in 2009

I myself run all SKB cases and I guess I'm glad I do!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    would not worry about current Gator products the problem was only in one specific line of cases.
    GPR line.

Lefty..................sounds like they treated you right.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Glad they discontinued this line!

@Lefty- glad they took care of you!
    Last edited by late8; 03-03-2017 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Update....................Gator gave my friend a new set of cases and paid him a generous amount for his losses.
    Here is a list of the drums that were corroded:

A 5-pc. set of maple Gretsch New Classics............gold glass wrap;
    A Craviotto/DW snare with gold hardware;
    A Yamaha Akira Jimbo custom snare drum.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Update....................Gator gave my friend a new set of cases and paid him a generous amount for his losses.
    Here is a list of the drums that were corroded:

A 5-pc. set of maple Gretsch New Classics............gold glass wrap;
    A Craviotto/DW snare with gold hardware;
    A Yamaha Akira Jimbo custom snare drum.
    You got to be kidding? Really?? Man, those are some expensive drums!

User Info Menu

Dang! Talk about an expensive mistake! Glad to hear they took care of their customers and survived it.

User Info Menu

I did a gig last week and the drummer before us had a set of Catalina Maples in the amber finish . All his hardware on the drums was pitted and rusted and peeling . After they were done I talked with him and sure enough he had them in Gator Cases ! I had never seen or knew about this problem till I saw this thread . So I referred him to this thread as he had no idea why his chrome and started to deteriorate . Hopefully he will see this and get some help or something .
    Great thread guys !! Thanks ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I did a gig last week and the drummer before us had a set of Catalina Maples in the amber finish . All his hardware on the drums was pitted and rusted and peeling . After they were done I talked with him and sure enough he had them in Gator Cases ! I had never seen or knew about this problem till I saw this thread . So I referred him to this thread as he had no idea why his chrome and started to deteriorate . Hopefully he will see this and get some help or something .
    Great thread guys !! Thanks ..
    Another example of the DC fraternity and the information we get from this site that can help others.
    Way to go, Jedi...............a really great story...............makes me glad I posted the news, even though it is old news.

Gator will take care of him if he contacts them with a claim...............probably a check for his drum set and a new batch of cases that will not harm any other drums.

My friend received enough money to replace his Gretsch lugs and cast hoops in addition to having enough to buy a new set and replace the two expensive snare drums.
    He put the money in the bank and hasn't yet decided on his choice for the new drums.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Another example of the DC fraternity and the information we get from this site that can help others.
    Way to go, Jedi...............a really great story...............makes me glad I posted the news, even though it is old news.

Gator will take care of him if he contacts them with a claim...............probably a check for his drum set and a new batch of cases that will not harm any other drums.

My friend received enough money to replace his Gretsch lugs and cast hoops in addition to having enough to buy a new set and replace the two expensive snare drums.
    He put the money in the bank and hasn't yet decided on his choice for the new drums.
    The guy didn't have any idea why his hardware went south . He just thought it was bad plating from Gretsch and was resigned to it being like that even tho he was taking very good care of the kit . And admittedly it took me a while before I put the two together ! It hit me on the way home from that gig and I called him as soon as I got to the house . We talked some more and he was elated that he might finally get to the bottom of the rusty chrome !
    Hopefully he will join the group !

User Info Menu

+100