Thread: Old people appreciation thread.

User Info Menu

Default Old people appreciation thread.

This is just a quick little spin off ex drummer thread and I'll make short and sweet.

Seems to some folks that it would be weird that I would go jam with some old man at a trailor park. But I'm gonna let some of you people in on a little secret I discovered many years ago. I'm a welder blacksmith by trade and I've worked at many a sweatshop building everything under the sun Grand staircases to fancy scroll work railings ect. and I feel really blessed to have worked under some of the old man that not only suffered thru the great depression but actually fought in WW2. One gentleman named "Bill Sherry" was a yankee and he was the foreman on the Reunion Tower in Downtown Dallas.

You know that building that looks like a microphone. My buddy Bill Sherry help build that thing. And I can tell you that along with the many buttchewings that old man gave me thru out the years.That old man greatly increased my knowledge and skill and it is always wise to seek out these older folks and pick their brain about stuff because people like that are a national treasure and they won't always be around. My father comes to mind as well as few other elderly gentleman.
    If you want to know something about anything go ask an old guy. From everything about old Ford pickups to the superior tanks that the Germans had in WW2 to old Slingerland drums they have seen pretty much all of it. And I'm sure that they would probably be glad that you took the time to ask about it.
    The Native American Indians had a reverence for their elderly leaders and I think that this is something that we should really get back to as a nation. We would profit greatly by it. God bless folks. I'm out.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Old people appreciation thread.

Here's exhibit one for you people. I think I told you a while back I was playing guitar for this young ****y kid singer and he went and entered us in a battle of the bands. Well we ran upon this buzzsaw and he put me to shame on the guitar. There's a reason I don't enter those stupid contest! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb3X...&feature=share

User Info Menu

Wired.....................

During the time I lived in Dallas I worked for Showco sound company for about one year.
    There was a guy there that was a super-talented guy with lighting and electronics.
    His name was Kirby Wyatt and anybody that ever worked at Showco knew and respected Kirby.

The dancing lights of the Reunion Tower you still see today were the idea and innovation of Kirby; he passed away a few years ago but I still think of him every time I drive near downtown Dallas.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I believed Bill Sherry worked for Trinity Brass when he worked on the tower, I know it was a ton of stainless steel on that job.

User Info Menu

I never thought age mattered a bit in music. Sports and physical labor maybe, but not not music or business or anything else that relies on mental capacity and experience. Reminds me of the classic debate response by the great Ronald Reagan.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Exactly it's their experience mostly. I use to hang red iron building buildings and stuff, and in that line of work you want to work with seasoned veterans not some young idiot that will get people killed or injured with that crazy ideals and breakneck pace. Things get done when they get done but stupid people trying to fullfill some crazy deadline will get people killed if their not careful. My father is dangerous to work around!

User Info Menu

You can learn a lot from older people,(now that I officially am 1) What that might be, I haven't a clue, but, stick around, I'll make something up in a couple of days.

1 important thing is, if somebody asks you about anything they think you can help them with, teach them everything that they will need to know, just don't teach them everything that YOU know.

User Info Menu

That is how you learn things in life from the older people who been there, done it. I am an older person and have learned a lot over the years from older people.lol

User Info Menu

Disappointing. I thought this was going to be a thread tribute to rickthedrummer.

User Info Menu

Believe me drummers here can learn a lot from Rick if they listen to him.

User Info Menu

Ya never to old mate let's rock 0lder the better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    Ya never to old mate let's rock 0lder the better
    I agree! Age is a number. Rock on!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I agree! Age is a number. Rock on!
    and a gateway to new pains and ailments each time you try to get out of bed. Watch those trips around the sun. They start to happen more often and before you know it Time has flung by.

Not that I'd know or anything.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

When you are young you get older by the year. When you get up in years, you get older by the minute.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Hey, Rick, glad your'e back.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Yippee, the Rickster!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

There he is! Hey Rick where did you go?

User Info Menu

My computer passed on to that place in the sky where dead (or almost dead) PC's go.

I still have a acct. with a big electronics store (65 to be exact) up in Jersey and I ordered a tower with no monitor because I had a 32" TV that I bought years ago for my bedroom and never used it. Said TV had a HDMI input so I bought a tower and now have a 32" monitor which is great.

In the meantime, my GF and I have been watching "making the team" which is about what the ladies go through to become a Dallas Cheerleader. They are the hardest squad to make because it's almost like basic training. Even returning veterans have to go through the audition process to keep their spot. This young lady was a 3 year veteran and still had to win her spot back. She was a cheerleader for 7 years (2nd longest in Dallas history) and 1 of the best they ever had plus she was gorgeous to look at.

We thought this 1 was a little different and fun.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 04-01-2023 at 09:50 AM.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Tom, if you think that this video is a little risque, I was going to put 1 of her in a bikini that was in their calendar.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Approved.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Just Stumbled (literally stumbled....) upon this Thread. I appreciate the recognition - Yepper, I'm old at 71 YO. Some days - I feel OLDER, some days, not as Old. As a Resurrected Drummer (some people may opine differently ) I recommenced playing Drums after 50 Years[1969]. I won't bore you with my story which I have posted elsewhere on this and other Forums, but in short, after receiving a cheapo Gammon Drum kit for XMAS 2018, from my wife (of 44 years then, now it will be 49 years in Nov), I re-ignited playing Drums. It is only a Pleasure Hobby in retirement. I play to MY MUSIC about 1 hour a day in the Finished basement (turned Mancave during COVID Hibernation). After getting the new Kit, I would play to tunes on an old Boom Box. Then in 2020-2021 I added all new Stereo Equipment & Speakers, and Upgraded my Drums by purchasing a USED PDP concept maple 6 drum kit, and added a few more Snares, new Cymbals, and other accessories (and a 6" Rack Tom too). I suffer with spinal Arthritis (called Spondylitis) with some stenosis and some disc herniations / bulges and some Lumbar scoliosis. Chronic Pain SUX Big Time. Chronic Stiffness SUX even more !! But I persevere. I hope to play with some Geriatric Musicians someday (soon) before it really gets the better of me. No More SOB stories. The key takeaway is.... The Beat Goes On - as Sonny & Cher said in 1965 (Yes, I remember). I guess I could be called a Light - to Medium Intermediate caliber player.

FTR, MY MUSIC consists of: America, Beatles, BB King, Cream, Stones, Clapton, Huey Lewis, Petty, Loggins & Messina, Mellencamp, Byrds, Zombies, Hollies, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Winwood, Cars, Talking Heads, Dylan, Traveling Wilburys, ELO, Pretenders, Cowboy Junkies, Bruce S., Kinks, Ten Years After, some Santana & The Who, Van Morrison, Steely Dan, and more, Including Linda Ronstadt & Bonnie Rait (Great DIVAs of Rock and Country).

I retired in May 2021 after working in Mortgage Financing / Asset Managment for 48 Years !!. Survived getting COVID 2 X (the wife too). I guess the "old adage" is about right....You are only as OLD as You Feel. Take Care of Yourselves.

PS: for the 50 years of abstenince from Drumming, (Life kinda got in the way, then family, etc.) I always played "air" drums on car dashboards, tabletops, etc.

User Info Menu

50 years of abstenince from Drumming, (Life kinda got in the way, then family, etc.
    But you're here now... living in the day and having fun with drums! Awesome!