Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugardaddys - First gig report

User Info Menu

Default Sugardaddys - First gig report

March 4, 2017
    Gig went pretty well. Had some P/A gear abnormalities which seems to always occur. Crowd response was good. A few questionable moments, again, not unexpected for first time out.

I acquired a picture taken by one of the patrons.

Some of the fans...

I hope to have some video up in a few days. 4 hours takes a while to find stuff worth repeating.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sugardaddys - First gig report

A few more pictures....

Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey....girls dancing...that's a great start! It's always a little rough around the edges for a while. Nothing brings it all together quickly like live gigs. (My opinion) is that 1 live gig is worth about 3 practices sessions. It sounds to me like you finally found a good fit. A group of experienced and mature guys that don't play the drama game. Just play and have fun. It's great to hear you're back out gigging where you belong!

Just out of curiosity; what happened to the last band with the sisters? Did they finally self-destruct?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Just noticed that Toby Kieth appears to be in your band. I'd put him up front. Chics dig him. Well.....except for the Dixie Chics....they hate him.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's awesome Bish. Congrats on the first gig with the new band.

User Info Menu

Glad it went well. First couple of times out can be eventful.

User Info Menu

Glad it went well.....................good-looking stage set-up.
    As you know, it will just get better from here.

I was also wondering about the band with the sisters.........................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    1 live gig is worth about 3 practices sessions.
    I agree with this 100%! I am currently in 2 bands preparing for first gigs, and I know all the little glitches won't be worked out until we play a few times in front of an audience. I haven't played a gig since November and I am itching to play so bad.
    Glad to hear your gig went well and I'm sure they will get even better going forward.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Looked like fun Mark! Got the first one under your belt!!

User Info Menu

Hey....girls dancing...that's a great start! It's always a little rough around the edges for a while. Nothing brings it all together quickly like live gigs. (My opinion) is that 1 live gig is worth about 3 practices sessions. It sounds to me like you finally found a good fit. A group of experienced and mature guys that don't play the drama game. Just play and have fun. It's great to hear you're back out gigging where you belong!

Just out of curiosity; what happened to the last band with the sisters? Did they finally self-destruct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Glad it went well.....................good-looking stage set-up.
    As you know, it will just get better from here.

I was also wondering about the band with the sisters.........................
    I agree about the 1 live gig equaling 3 rehearsals. Truer statement could not be made. LOL

As far as the "sisters"....they became "twisted sisters" back in the fall when they all showed their true colors. I walked out on a Thursday night, the bass player went over the next night and grabbed his stuff and the guitarist followed the bassist. Haven't heard from them since.....what a great thing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Not the best camera angle but for the first gig....it's the best I could do with the small stage.

Here's one from the first set.....guinea pig set....

Those Shoes by Eagles.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Here's another selection...The Flame by Cheap Trick...

Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice work Bish!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Drums (and drummer) sounded great! Couldn't really hear the guitars...at least not on my iPhone. Guess I'll just have to come hear a gig in person.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Sounded good. Nice job. Interesting that on the Eagles song you play the 16th notes on the ride with one hand but switch to two hands on the HH.

User Info Menu

The man has style! Love it. We definitely should tip a few ��

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Sounded good. Nice job. Interesting that on the Eagles song you play the 16th notes on the ride with one hand but switch to two hands on the HH.
    I don't yet have that endurance built up and don't trust myself to be steady yet with single handing it. (That somehow doesn't sound right.) I think we are playing it too fast. It doesn't quite have the feel it does when I listen to it and I put that all on me. It'll get there. Thanks for the POV.

It's still a bit awkward to play it as are several others, but they'll come. Taking 4 years off requires some retraining. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for watching, everyone. I appreciate you taking the time and then to comment, too!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I don't yet have that endurance built up and don't trust myself to be steady yet with single handing it. (That somehow doesn't sound right.) I think we are playing it too fast. It doesn't quite have the feel it does when I listen to it and I put that all on me. It'll get there. Thanks for the POV.

It's still a bit awkward to play it as are several others, but they'll come. Taking 4 years off requires some retraining. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I thought it was just a touch fast, but sometimes faster is better (and easier) when playing live. I've noticed (like you said) there seems to be an optimum tempo for every song we play where the groove just falls into place. I can usually pull that tempo out instantly from muscle memory, but when our guitar players start a song, it's usually a little too slow or fast. As much as I try to maintain their tempo, we usually end up at that comfortable tempo within a few measures. I suppose a good drummer would maintain the start tempo, but I'd rather adjust a few measures in and play the song "in the groove"
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Nice job, we used to play that cheap Trick song, good tune.

User Info Menu

Bish, I'm happy that the gig went well for you. Looks like everyone was having a good time.

I do have to disagree with the "1 gig equals 3 rehearsals". You don't "fix" glitches on stage, that is the whole idea of rehearsals.

User Info Menu

You guys sound great! Looks like a fun gig ... one of many more to come I'm sure ...

User Info Menu

Here's another song many may be familiar with.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice job! We just added that song to out set list a few weeks ago.

You know.....one good "smack" on that ride would teach your singer not to grab it while you're playing...
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Nice job! We just added that song to out set list a few weeks ago.

You know.....one good "smack" on that ride would teach your singer not to grab it while you're playing...
    It was our first time playing it live. Ran through it a few times at rehearsal last Wednesday.

As far as the singer and my cymbals, I'm going to cut him a little slack for now but there'll come a day.......heheheeeeeeeeeee

I started messing with him and it threw me off. Dag-nabbit anyway. LOL
    Signature here