Thread: Pork Pie throne vs Roc-n-Soc

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Pork Pie throne vs Roc-n-Soc

I bought two thrones this week. The Pork Pie was a floor model which I bought from my local mom and pop music store at a bit of a discount of $142+8.5% sales tax = $159 USD. The Roc-n-Soc nitro with the back rest and lunar base was purchased online for $229 USD shipped free (no sales tax applied).

Here's a quick review of both thrones:

The Pork Pie has a thick cushion and feels very plush, almost too plush. It uses the standard threaded spindle. The base plate for the cushion is attached with multiple screws and has the typical wing nut assembly to lock the spindle and another set of wing nuts and bolts to lock the throne cushion. The legs are have the standard tripod configuration

Pork Pie-

Pro: Very plush throne cushion, small foot print with the tripod legs.

Con: The hardware between the throne cushion and the base plate attachment creaks very loudly if you rock the cushion back and forth. This would not be an ideal situation if the Pork Pie was used while recording acoustic drum tracks. I failed to notice this drawback while I sat on it at the store. I just sat on it with no movement but when I brought it home and actually sat and played with a kit, it creaked and squeaked as I shifted my weight around on the throne to reach the cymbals and rack toms.

Roc-n-Soc-

Pro: Slight indentation in the throne cushion for the back of the thighs, instant change in throne height due to nitro lift cylinder, No creaky throne cushion, Has pre-drilled holes for back rest that attaches to the bottom of the throne cushion unlike bolting an aftermarket backrest to the throne spindle for most standard thrones that lack this accommodation.

Con: Looks like an office chair, Lunar pedestal has a slightly larger foot print than the standard tripod legs, For older guys (like me), the "hump" between the thigh indentation on the tractor seat puts pressure on the prostate gland if the throne is raised too high. This may or may not be an issue for most.

The "Hump" between the thigh indentation:

Conclusion:

I really like the Pork Pie throne but no matter how much I tightened down the hardware that supports the throne cushion and the threaded spindle shaft, the creaky cushion is very annoying. Great practice throne but I wouldn't use it to record any acoustic drums due to the creaky hardware. This might be an isolated issue pertaining to this particular throne? Please let me know if you have a similar model like mine but it doesn't creak...

SpazApproved, you have one right? Does it make noise as you shift around on it? Thanks in advance.

The Roc-n-Soc feels bullet proof, just like the one I bought 5 years ago but if the throne is raised high, it starts to feel like I sat on a bike seat too long after an epic bike ride, irregardless of this, in my opinion, the Roc-n-Soc wins hands down.
    Last edited by late8; 03-11-2017 at 08:26 AM.