Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pork Pie throne vs Roc-n-Soc

User Info Menu

Default Pork Pie throne vs Roc-n-Soc

I bought two thrones this week. The Pork Pie was a floor model which I bought from my local mom and pop music store at a bit of a discount of $142+8.5% sales tax = $159 USD. The Roc-n-Soc nitro with the back rest and lunar base was purchased online for $229 USD shipped free (no sales tax applied).

Here's a quick review of both thrones:

The Pork Pie has a thick cushion and feels very plush, almost too plush. It uses the standard threaded spindle. The base plate for the cushion is attached with multiple screws and has the typical wing nut assembly to lock the spindle and another set of wing nuts and bolts to lock the throne cushion. The legs are have the standard tripod configuration

Pork Pie-

Pro: Very plush throne cushion, small foot print with the tripod legs.

Con: The hardware between the throne cushion and the base plate attachment creaks very loudly if you rock the cushion back and forth. This would not be an ideal situation if the Pork Pie was used while recording acoustic drum tracks. I failed to notice this drawback while I sat on it at the store. I just sat on it with no movement but when I brought it home and actually sat and played with a kit, it creaked and squeaked as I shifted my weight around on the throne to reach the cymbals and rack toms.

Roc-n-Soc-

Pro: Slight indentation in the throne cushion for the back of the thighs, instant change in throne height due to nitro lift cylinder, No creaky throne cushion, Has pre-drilled holes for back rest that attaches to the bottom of the throne cushion unlike bolting an aftermarket backrest to the throne spindle for most standard thrones that lack this accommodation.

Con: Looks like an office chair, Lunar pedestal has a slightly larger foot print than the standard tripod legs, For older guys (like me), the "hump" between the thigh indentation on the tractor seat puts pressure on the prostate gland if the throne is raised too high. This may or may not be an issue for most.

The "Hump" between the thigh indentation:

Conclusion:

I really like the Pork Pie throne but no matter how much I tightened down the hardware that supports the throne cushion and the threaded spindle shaft, the creaky cushion is very annoying. Great practice throne but I wouldn't use it to record any acoustic drums due to the creaky hardware. This might be an isolated issue pertaining to this particular throne? Please let me know if you have a similar model like mine but it doesn't creak...

SpazApproved, you have one right? Does it make noise as you shift around on it? Thanks in advance.

The Roc-n-Soc feels bullet proof, just like the one I bought 5 years ago but if the throne is raised high, it starts to feel like I sat on a bike seat too long after an epic bike ride, irregardless of this, in my opinion, the Roc-n-Soc wins hands down.
    Last edited by late8; 03-11-2017 at 08:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pork Pie throne vs Roc-n-Soc

Love the "office chair" comment. I know it's not the case, but, whenever I see one of those thrones my first thought is "old drummer". Nice review BTW.

User Info Menu

I have and love my R&S. The only difference between the one pictured and mine is the legs. I have ( 3) double brace legs on mine and no back rest. Most comfortable seat that I ever owned.

Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-11-2017 at 07:29 AM.

User Info Menu

I also own both. Actually two of the Pork Pie model. The Roc N Soc is my home use/ studio throne because the base doesn't collapse so it is bulky to transport. The Pork pie is my gigging and rehearsal throne. Neither of my Pork Pie's squeak or make any noise at all. You might have a dud? I'd contact them and see if they can work something out for you.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Love the "office chair" comment. I know it's not the case, but, whenever I see one of those thrones my first thought is "old drummer". Nice review BTW.
    Thanks Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I have and love my R&S. The only difference between the one pictured and mine is the legs. I have ( 3) double brace legs on mine and no back rest. Most comfortable seat that I ever owned.

Thanks for chiming in Gilles! I wanted one like yours, with the tripod legs but for years when I owned a throne with that type of leg base, I always had to make sure that at least one of the three legs was behind me to support my weight if I sat back against a back rest. If I didn't, it felt as though I was about flip back over throne, kind of like what we have to do when we use cymbals stands with boom arms. There was has to be a leg under the boom arm to support the cymbal and the absorb the impact of the swaying cymbal.
    Last edited by late8; 03-14-2017 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    I also own both. Actually two of the Pork Pie model. The Roc N Soc is my home use/ studio throne because the base doesn't collapse so it is bulky to transport. The Pork pie is my gigging and rehearsal throne. Neither of my Pork Pie's squeak or make any noise at all. You might have a dud? I'd contact them and see if they can work something out for you.
    Thanks so much for the info CollinCo.Drummer! I'm taking the Pork Pie back to the store to demonstrate what's going on. It sounds like what an old worn out office chair would do if you rocked back and forth on it.

User Info Menu

I have the exact same Roc throne with the lunar pedestal (without the seat-back)...........love it...........I've had it three years..........excellent and very sturdy.
    I also own a DW conventional tripod throne that is average to pretty good.................covered with vinyl that you stick to when you sweat.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I bought the rock and soc throne a few years back and didn't like it. I don't like the way it looks nor how it feels. I eventually replaced it with an old Tama throne I had.

User Info Menu

I bought a R&S Nitro several years ago with both seats. It sits behind my Pearl set and I have a Gibraltar seat that I like better, so it's behind my Ludwigs.

User Info Menu

I used the Pork Pie throne at a gig today and I couldn't hear the creaky seat cushion when the band kicked in. I sat on it without thinking twice about it. Then I came home and sat on the Roc-n-Soc and practiced rudiments for an hour. My preference seems to be shifting towards round cushion thrones verses the a tractor seat now that I have something to compare it to the Roc-n-Soc but I feel fortunate to own both types. The Pork Pie was much easier to transport as Collin mentioned so I think I'll go the same route and use the PP at gigs and leave the R&S at home for practice.

Thanks all for sharing your opinions!

User Info Menu

I've got a PP tractor style with threaded spindle. Several yrs old and never any squeaks or creeks. I'd take it back if you hear it at all. there's a lot of things you won't be able to hear on a gig, but they're still there. You may record with that throne someday.

User Info Menu

I use a Gibralter 9608HM over sized throne, and I got a Gibralter lumbar support to go with it. I've been enjoying it for about 5 years now with zero issues.

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Roc n Soc'r for life. I own 4.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Great post. Some like the R&S and other don't and vice versa for the PP.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-13-2017 at 10:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I use the Gibraltar 9608 round throne. The huge rubber feet make it very sturdy even though there are only 3 legs. I've never had an issue with it bottoming out, the only issue is the way the seat clamps to the shaft. It's completely round so no matter how hard you tighten, you can still spin it with some force. Best throne I've ever had though and it has never come loose on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've never noticed the creaking sound... but I'm super curious to get home and try it out!
    I own both a Pork Pie and the Roc N Soc.

I'll let you know tonight!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I've got a PP tractor style with threaded spindle. Several yrs old and never any squeaks or creeks. I'd take it back if you hear it at all. there's a lot of things you won't be able to hear on a gig, but they're still there. You may record with that throne someday.
    I'll look into it a bit further to see exactly where the issue of the creaky noise originates and if I cant' resolve it by re-tightening the plate screw, I'll take it back for an exchange. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That's quite the testament Mark! You must have one for every other kit you own?

Great post. Some like the R&S and other don't and vice versa for the PP.
    Yes, the opinions are fairly evenly split.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I use the Gibraltar 9608 round throne. The huge rubber feet make it very sturdy even though there are only 3 legs. I've never had an issue with it bottoming out, the only issue is the way the seat clamps to the shaft. It's completely round so no matter how hard you tighten, you can still spin it with some force. Best throne I've ever had though and it has never come loose on me.
    I purchased a DW5000 round throne locally and it literately fell apart on me last week. It lasted only 3 years. The pin that holds the center tube for the spindle came loose and the entire center portion of the throne fell to the floor. I'll post some of the pics of the DW5000 throne when I get home. This is what prompted me to get the Pork Pie since the DW was the gig throne.

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I use a Gibralter 9608HM over sized throne, and I got a Gibralter lumbar support to go with it. I've been enjoying it for about 5 years now with zero issues.

Hey there Pastor Bob! Thanks for hitting the thread! Its been awhile...nice throne too. I like the lower lumbar support. Tama's 1st chair has a back rest option similar to the back rest for the Gib throne. It felt awesome but the store manage said it has a "defect" and was going back to Tama.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I've never noticed the creaking sound... but I'm super curious to get home and try it out!
    I own both a Pork Pie and the Roc N Soc.

I'll let you know tonight!
    Thanks brother!

User Info Menu

I got a R&S throne with the back rest and the hydraulic lift . I absolutely love it ! However .. it is way too heavy and much too big to carry to use on the gig . I got mine off of CL for under $100 from a guy who bought it to use on his slide guitar rig at home , but had to give it all up cause of back problems . The one I have is the one that the base is bolted on to the seat . So to take it apart for transport you need a wrench . Plus the back rest and seat wont fit in my hardware bag and I have to make another trip just for the seat . So it sits at home .
    So at the gig I use the DW thrones . I have three , one in each of the hardware bags .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    +1.............but I have never used a PP.........have used Tama 1st chair, Carmichael, DW, Gibraltar and a few no-name thrones, and the RnS beats them all

Currently own two Roc-n-Socs and the only complaint, as most would agree, is the transport issue.

To me, the comfort of it is worth one more trip to the car.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    +1.............but I have never used a PP.........have used Tama 1st chair, Carmichael, DW, Gibraltar and a few no-name thrones, and the RnS beats them all

Currently own two Roc-n-Socs and the only complaint, as most would agree, is the transport issue.

To me, the comfort of it is worth one more trip to the car.
    That's one thing I haven't figured out. The R&S came in three pieces but once I put them together, I can't seem to pull the pieces apart to break it down to pack up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    That's one thing I haven't figured out. The R&S came in three pieces but once I put them together, I can't seem to pull the pieces apart to break it down to pack up.
    The screw shaft versions can be broke down very easily like any other throne. The hydraulics are the guilty party. But for me, I just fold the legs and stash it in the back of the SUV either sitting on the seat part (upside down) or laid in the back which ever way it'll settle and not shift.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I also have this one, though mine is red. I like it. I've had it for a number of years. Very easy to transport, I put the seat in with my floor tom and the base in with the rest of my hardware.

I sat on both at the store and liked both, but the R&S felt a bit more comfortable. The Nitro adjust rules.

User Info Menu

I've had the spindle type roc n soc that had worked prefectly for years. I got this nitro with a drum set I bought, overall I like it but I wish it come up another 1-2". My spindle type definitely comes up higher.

User Info Menu

I have both and they're pretty equal to me. My only complaint with the Roc n Soc is the base plate - it eventually wears out and has to be replaced. I've had to replace mine once and can already tell the new one is doing the same thing.

User Info Menu

I want to put my Pork Pie seat on a hydraulic base like my Roc-N-Soc.

I'm also trying to convince Bill at Pork Pie to custom make me a seat to match my Zebra wood kit haha