Thread: What's this 'Spring Forward' stuff?

User Info Menu

Default What's this 'Spring Forward' stuff?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's this 'Spring Forward' stuff?

I love gaining an hour in the fall, but losing an hour in the Spring screws up my internal clock for the entire summer.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

For some reason the clocks go back an hour at midnight on Saturday night, so we get an extra hours rest on Sunday - on Sunday I don't give a rats what time it is, but when the clocks go forward its on Sunday night to make waking up on a Monday morning just that bit extra special. I must get a new excuse for being late, my standard 'I was abducted by aliens' is wearing a bit thin.

User Info Menu

The only thing I like is the longer days

User Info Menu

Should be abolished. The purpose for which is was intended is no longer relevant

User Info Menu

That is the Scientist decisions for the time changes. Mother nature don't care so does animals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    That is the Scientist decisions for the time changes. Mother nature don't care so does animals.
    WHAT?? Can you translate?

User Info Menu

Sorry it is not the scientist that decided DST.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 03-12-2017 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, we got a big tease with all the warm weather and now it's cold again and they're calling for snow and ice tomorrow. Ugh!

User Info Menu

I'm also of the opinion that we should abolish daylight savings time. From what I understand, it's was a farming issue back in the day when many family farms still existed and require longer days so the family help can come home from school to put in a few more laborious hours of back breaking work before dark right?

Farmers today use sophisticated machines to harvest, and there is much science behind crop maintenance with the use of computers and drones to monitor areas where soil deficiencies, and irrigation issues may exists. The use of today's technology has saved farmers millions.

Today, the California Central Valley is considered the "Salad Bowl" for our entire country and CA migrant farm workers are now entitled to be paid over-time after a 40 hour work week or after a 10 hour day. CA farmers were against this new law and many farm workers feel their hours will get cut and extra shifts will be added to avoid any over-time pay so why the need for a longer day?
    Last edited by late8; 03-12-2017 at 08:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Yea thankfully we don't have to worry about that here in Arizona . Never have .
    This full moon thing has me more worried .... I'm starting to turn as I write !!!
    Oh this hurts soooo bad ....
    wolfy.jpg

User Info Menu

I just feel fortunate that I decided to use my cell phone as an alarm clock. I made that decision because the power grid that I am on seems to go down when someone sneezes. My cell phone is not effected by the loss of electricity, so it is reliable. That's important to me, especially on Sundays. This morning, I found out just how important this cell phone alarm clock is for me. I got in late last night, and I forgot to let the "clock" forward. I was awakened at the perfect time this morning, because the cell phone's time automatically corrects. Whew, I wasn't late getting to the church this morning!

BTW, for a non-morning person like me, DST is a real bummer. I did have a nice afternoon nap, though. Oh, and I noticed a few droopy eyes during the sermon today, and I would never say a word about it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm also of the opinion that we should abolish daylight savings time. From what I understand, it's was a farming issue back in the day when many family farms still existed and require longer days so the family help can come home from school to put in a few more laborious hours of back breaking work before dark right?

Farmers today use sophisticated machines to harvest, and there is much science behind crop maintenance with the use of computers and drones to monitor areas where soil deficiencies, and irrigation issues may exists. The use of today's technology has saved farmers millions.

Today, the California Central Valley is considered the "Salad Bowl" for our entire country and CA migrant farm workers are now entitled to be paid over-time after a 40 hour work week or after a 10 hour day. CA farmers were against this new law and many farm workers feel their hours will get cut and extra shifts will be added to avoid any over-time pay so why the need for a longer day?
    Idea of Daylight Saving Time
    The idea of daylight saving was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin (portrait at right) during his sojourn as an American delegate in Paris in 1784, in an essay, "An Economical Project." Read more about Franklin's essay.
    Some of Franklin's friends, inventors of a new kind of oil lamp, were so taken by the scheme that they continued corresponding with Franklin even after he returned to America.
    The idea was first advocated seriously by London builder William Willett (1857-1915) in the pamphlet, "Waste of Daylight" (1907), that proposed advancing clocks 20 minutes on each of four Sundays in April, and retarding them by the same amount on four Sundays in September. As he was taking an early morning a ride through Petts Wood, near Croydon, Willett was struck by the fact that the blinds of nearby houses were closed, even though the sun was fully risen. When questioned as to why he didn't simply get up an hour earlier, Willett replied with typical British humor, "What?" In his pamphlet "The Waste of Daylight" he wrote:
    "Everyone appreciates the long, light evenings. Everyone laments their shortage as Autumn approaches; and everyone has given utterance to regret that the clear, bright light of an early morning during Spring and Summer months is so seldom seen or used."
    Early British laws and lax observance
    About one year after Willett began to advocate daylight saving (he spent a fortune lobbying), he attracted the attention of the authorities. Robert Pearce - later Sir Robert Pearce - introduced a bill in the House of Commons to make it compulsory to adjust the clocks. The bill was drafted in 1909 and introduced in Parliament several times, but it met with ridicule and opposition, especially from farming interests. Generally lampooned at the time, Willett died on March 4, 1915.
    Following Germany's lead, Britain passed an act on May 17, 1916, and Willett's scheme of adding 80 minutes, in four separate movements was put in operation on the following Sunday, May 21, 1916. There was a storm of opposition, confusion, and prejudice. The Royal Meteorological Society insisted that Greenwich time would still be used to measure tides. The parks belonging to the Office of Works and the London County Council decided to close at dusk, which meant that they would be open an extra hour in the evening. Kew Gardens, on the other hand, ignored the daylight saving scheme and decided to close by the clock.
    In Edinburgh, the confusion was even more marked, for the gun at the Castle was fired at 1:00 p.m. Summer Time, while the ball on the top of the Nelson monument on Calton Hill fell at 1:00 Greenwich Time. That arrangement was carried on for the benefit of seamen who could see it from the Firth of Forth. The time fixed for changing clocks was 2:00 a.m. on a Sunday.
    There was a fair bit of opposition from the general public and from agricultural interests who wanted daylight in the morning, but Lord Balfour came forward with a unique concern:
    "Supposing some unfortunate lady was confined with twins and one child was born 10 minutes before 1 o'clock. ... the time of birth of the two children would be reversed. ... Such an alteration might conceivably affect the property and titles in that House."
    After World War I, Parliament passed several acts relating to Summer Time. In 1925, a law was enacted that Summer Time should begin on the day following the third Saturday in April (or one week earlier if that day was Easter Day). The date for closing of Summer Time was fixed for the day after the first Saturday in October.
    The energy saving benefits of Summer Time were recognized during World War II, when clocks in Britain were put two hours ahead of GMT during the summer. This became known as Double Summer Time. During the war, clocks remained one hour ahead of GMT throughout the winter.

User Info Menu

I see you googled it pocket. That is why I changed my story from the scientist after I read that same article on google.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I see you googled it pocket. That is why I changed my story from the scientist after I read that same article on google.
    GOOGLE.....it's a wonderful thing. Wish it would have been available during my college years. Those years would have been even more fun and full of debauchery.