I thought I would never come back to these heads since I tried them out in the late '80's and found them too "thuddy" and I certainly didn't think to ever put them on a DW Collector's kit since I was so satisfied with the factory DW/Remo coated/clear stock heads but wow I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome of the deep tone that came from the standard maple shells. I have to admit, in my opinion, I found the timbre on my DW kit to be on the thin side, (nothing special). The kit I own was made in 2007 and the "standard" shells were the only ones available at that time before the marketing hype John Good created of HVLT (Horizontal Outside + Vertical Low Timbre), VLT (Vertical Low Timbre), X (veneers were cut at a 45-degree angle and cross-laminated in an X pattern), and VLX (Vertical Low Timbre/Diagonal grain) shell technologies.

I thought perhaps I missed out by having just the "standard" shells but the Evans hydraulic drum heads proved to me that I can still get some deep tones out them without having to shell out (pardon the pun) major bucks for the newer shell configurations. I don't like to dampen anything. I like my toms to "ring" out and I like my kick to have overtones that don't get stifled so I avoid stuffing them with pillows. But the current venue where the Collector's are set is a small room and I have to play with a light touch so I took a chance and swapped the rack toms with the blue hydraulic heads and low and behold, I can finally hear the shells instead of the overtones of just the heads. I was so impressed with the hydraulic heads, I ordered a complete set in blue for the Pearl Exports I use at home; 10", 12", 13", 14", 16" (2x) 22". Anybody out there using hydraulics? What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

Shell sizes: 8x10" 9x12" 12x14" 18x22"