Thread: Slingerland Concert Tom Modifications

User Info Menu

Default Slingerland Concert Tom Modifications

I just wanted some opinions about a 6" and a 8" Slingerland concert tom. They were manufactured probably early 80's, 5 ply with no tone rings. Chrome over wood.
    The rest of my toms are standard double head. I have the 6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16,18 & 20" toms. I have all of the original tom mounts and stands but I have since put them on suspension mounts with Pearl brackets and use the on a Icon Rack.
    With all of that said, I wanted to put bottom heads on the 6 and 8. I don't really think it will help them have any more tone, especially the 6", but I do like the idea of it making everything look and sound a little bit more consistent. I will have to cut a bearing edge and mount 4 and 5 more lugs on the drums which will be a little offset or I could use a two sided snare lug. so a few holes are required. Chrome over wood Slingerland drums used to be a dime a dozen and there are still a few out there so I don't know if they will ever be collectible to the point Its going to loose me a lot of money by modding the drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slingerland Concert Tom Modifications

Leave them original. Your correct in that it won't really add any tone at that size. I use a 10" concert tom with a 12" double headed tom in one of my set up's and you can't really tell a lot of difference in sustain and tone. I would leave them original. To much trouble for no return really.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Like mentioned leave them alone they where made to be concert toms nothing else.

User Info Menu

Some of the concert toms had a protective metal or plastic strip around the bottom of the drum to protect it. If you pull the strip/cover off, you'll probably find a factory cut bearing edge under it.

That said, I agree that I would leave them alone....just because of the sizes. You won't notice much difference on 6" & 8". If the depth requires offset lugs or double ended snare lugs, it will look more uninformed than if you left them as concert toms. If the 6" is a 4-lug, it will be harder to tune as well. It won't be worth the effort and expense.

If you were talking 12", 14" or 16", then I would convert it. I'm doing that myself with 14" and 16" Ludwig concert toms.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If you could find another set of 6 & 8 concert toms, buy them and modify them. But if you only have the one matching set, I wouldn't touch them.

User Info Menu

I have a 5 piece Slingerland set from 1980 that has all single headed toms, including the floor tom. Years later I found matching 8" and 10" concert toms that unfortunately had been butchered to install Rogers mounts. I changed those out for rim mounts and eventually I'd like to patch the shell and rewrap them. Concert toms are making a comeback, I wouldn't modify them if I were you.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones: