Thread: Most "fun" drum book you have?

User Info Menu

Default Most "fun" drum book you have?

So my son and I have been doing sections from Carmine Appice's Ultimate Realistic Rock and have really enjoyed it. When I have spare time, I tend to drift to this as my go to book to practice as it just seems more "fun". This lead me to wonder what books you guys have the most fun using?
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Most "fun" drum book you have?

I enjoy "Double Bass Drumming" by Joe Flacco. The tabs are simple to read with, hihat/ride, snare and (2x) bass drum notations. I found some drum tab books that resemble Zappa's "Black Page". Too much black ink on a page makes it hard to read due to my stigmatism.

BKWBEL03835.jpg

User Info Menu

Right now I'm having a ton of fun with Jim Riley's Survival Guide For The Modern Drummer . Broad range of styles for play-along, and the songs are full length, not the ultra short examples you get so often.
    The boomy things:
    Mapex Orion Classic 6 pc, transparent violet burl
    The pingy/crashy things:
    K Custom Dark and K Darks
    K Sweet
    Meinl Byzance
    Silken Sebring and Avus
    Dream Bliss and Contact
    More cowbells than I have cows.
    The "quiet time" things:
    Zildjian L80 low volume cymbals
    Aquarian Super-Pads
    Roland TD9, Pintech drum triggers, Yamaha cymbal triggers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    So my son and I have been doing sections from Carmine Appice's Ultimate Realistic Rock and have really enjoyed it. When I have spare time, I tend to drift to this as my go to book to practice as it just seems more "fun". This lead me to wonder what books you guys have the most fun using?
    That's the book I learned the basics on. I liked it, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
    That's the book I learned the basics on. I liked it, too.
    I started with it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

There are books that teach you how to hit things? How do you like that?

If that ape at the start of 2001 had picked up 2 bones instead of 1, we probably would have had a 100,000 year head start on the rudiments.