Thread: What new gear would you like to see created?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default What new gear would you like to see created?

Is there anything you wish a drum company to create that hasn't yet been invented? Something you could use that hasn't been invented yet? Sometimes I'm discouraged that more new items aren't created for the drum industry. Why do you think that is?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What new gear would you like to see created?

Kit with built in chops that are better than what I'll ever be able to muster up.

User Info Menu

There are some things that were discontinued I'd like to see come back if only because I don't own them and hate waiting around for them to show up used, lol.
    A lot of the more unique or specialized ideas just don't sell very well.
    Thankfully on the percussion side of things new ideas are fairly common.

User Info Menu

You go and sit behind your drums like Kirk at the helm of the Starship Enterprise. So far, so good.

The problem starts when you are at the controls, thinking of heading for Proxima Centauri, realize that at the speed you are going, it's going to take you 27,000 years to get out of the gig, so you pick up 2 sticks (or in Zack's case, 1 1/2) and start beating everything in sight. Not too many places you can go from there.

So, a blonde android would work for me. Does that count as gear???..........no, huh, OK, how about a blonde android that can do a single stroke roll at any location while getting you a beer. Go and watch Harper and give Cailyn a break. Zack could then go chop down a tree and make his own sticks and save himself a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Does that qualify as "gear"?

The difficult decisions we, as drummers, are called on to make. I must need a scotch.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 03-20-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: =====

User Info Menu

Yup,bring back the Ludwig super sensitive snares and Ludwig Lamo drumsticks for starters.

Lots of great gear discontinued because of style marketing over performance.

The Tama spun steel Mastercraft would be a good candidate too.
    Last edited by pgm554; 07-02-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

How about a machine that sets, breaks down, packs and moves drum sets? Just think...It runs off a computer program that gets it perfect every time. Advantages...saves your physical energy for the performance and more time to mingle with the women!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    How about a machine that sets, breaks down, packs and moves drum sets? Just think...It runs off a computer program that gets it perfect every time. Advantages...saves your physical energy for the performance and more time to mingle with the women!!

all the best...
    Great idea Kay that would work great in the future especially now with the unmaned cars that are almost ready to be on the market.
    The machine would take down the kits, loaded them into a car/van, deliverer and set up at your next gig. Then you just walk in and play that would be great wouldn't it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Great idea Kay that would work great in the future especially now with the unmaned cars that are almost ready to be on the market.
    The machine would take down the kits, loaded them into a car/van, deliverer and set up at your next gig. Then you just walk in and play that would be great wouldn't it.
    Yea...it's already here . I think it's called... "a roadie" .

User Info Menu

a stick in a half lol

I know it's been made by others but I'm super disappointed in DW that they don't sell a clamp to mount their remote hi-hat straight to the rack!?!?

User Info Menu

chrome cymbals

it was a project i had for awhile but hasn't panned out and probably never will because of cost and being unable to get a straight answer from anybody in the business about cost.

I was going to chrome a set of hats.
    Last edited by slinky; 03-21-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I just saw a facebook post for a brand new hi-hat pedal for DW. It was a stubby thing with a small splash/hi-hat connected.
    Never seen that before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I just saw a facebook post for a brand new hi-hat pedal for DW. It was a stubby thing with a small splash/hi-hat connected.
    Never seen that before.

History repeats itself with a modern version of a sock cymbal or Lowboy.

sock cymbal.jpg

User Info Menu

what the! will it jack up a car too?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Just never mistake it for your seat.

User Info Menu

What the... ?

User Info Menu

We have a member here who has made similar strides in creating some of his own innovated ideas; the sock cymbal or Lowboy idea but with a drum shell. wonder1 posts his handmade creations in the percussion threads which doesn't get too many views but well worth the time to search his creations.

IMG_4418.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    We have a member here who has made similar strides in creating some of his own innovated ideas; the sock cymbal or Lowboy idea but with a drum shell. wonder1 posts his handmade creations in the percussion threads which doesn't get too many views but well worth the time to search his creations.

IMG_4418.jpg
    Yeah that did remind me of Wonder1 and his home made drum kits when I first saw that pedal.

User Info Menu

How about a Ludwig Hammered Acrolite drum kit! Not just the snare.

ludwig hammered acrolite.jpg

or the brushed alum. would look awesome too as a kit...

6.5x14-acrolite-snare-brushed alum.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-22-2017 at 09:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    How about a Ludwig Hammered Acrolite drum kit! Not just the snare.

ludwig hammered acrolite.jpg

or the brushed alum. would look awesome too as a kit...

6.5x14-acrolite-snare-brushed alum.jpg
    OOOoh Yea ! And it would be just great if they could keep the price low too like the original Acro was priced .

User Info Menu

On the subject of Ludwigs, I was disappointed in my search for a steel or stainless steel snare from them.

I know, I know, they make the Supralites. I think, and if they steal this idea cut me a check (don't I wish)...

If they made a steel snare comparable to the Supraphonic, Black Beauty, and Copperphonic- by that I mean same lug and strainer choices, smooth or hammered beaded shell, classic keystone badge- I would own one. It would be nice to have a matching metal snare set in the different materials-brass, aluminum, copper, bronze... a high quality steel would round it out nicely.

They're coming out with one later this year, but it's kind of a one-off different thing.

The older I get (and I'm not that old!) the more I'm amazed at how much variety there is. Remember going to your local shop and it was either buy what was in stock or pick one of four companies' catalogs, choose one of three lines, and pick from like 8 colors and 12 sizes? Now you can pretty much get anything. We're spoiled.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

"Socks" to put stands and miscellaneous hardware in to stop them clinking together and chipping the chrome when packed in a hardware box/bag.

I'm a cheapskate so I would still make my own from old towels, but it make me feel better about my OCD.

User Info Menu

A blonde roadie, that comes in a bikini, can carry a Hammond B-3, and can find a 6 pack and a good football game no matter where you are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    A blonde roadie, that comes in a bikini, can carry a Hammond B-3, and can find a 6 pack and a good football game no matter where you are.
    And isn't named Fabio or Bobby.

Just helping you out here.