Thread: Sib Hashian, Boston Drummer, Dies at 67

User Info Menu

Default Sib Hashian, Boston Drummer, Dies at 67

RIP Sib Hashian...I saw a rare Boston concert in Oakland CA in the mid '80s. Sib rocked it!! He apparently died on stage playing on board a cruise ship. Efforts to revive him failed.
    Last edited by late8; 03-23-2017 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sib Hashian, Boston Drummer, Dies at 67

That's how I want to go ... playing my drums !
    There was a girl in town years ago that claimed she was his ex girlfriend . All she ever talked about was him and the band Boston . How he and they were so much better than anyone she ever heard . After a while she would get on your nerves with it and you would start to avoid her .
    I never bought any of there stuff or saw them in concert but I did like their music and had to play some of their stuff on gigs , even today !
    May he rest in peace .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    That's how I want to go ... playing my drums !
    There was a girl in town years ago that claimed she was his ex girlfriend . All she ever talked about was him and the band Boston . How he and they were so much better than anyone she ever heard . After a while she would get on your nerves with it and you would start to avoid her .
    I never bought any of there stuff or saw them in concert but I did like their music and had to play some of their stuff on gigs , even today !
    May he rest in peace .
    When I saw Boston, the vocalist couldn't hit the high notes on "More Than a Feeling". In fact, they only thing that had any resemblance to that album were the instruments. I was a little disappointed but I remember how much this band relied on computerized vocal enhancements on their first album. I remember most of the original members were MIT graduates.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    When I saw Boston, the vocalist couldn't hit the high notes on "More Than a Feeling". In fact, they only thing that had any resemblance to that album were the instruments. I was a little disappointed but I remember how much this band relied on computerized vocal enhancements on their first album. I remember most of the original members were MIT graduates.
    Want to hear a funny story ? This is a true story ... things that happen when you're on the road .
    Back in 1990 I was on the road with a four piece band , two female singers a guy guitar player and myself . I was playing an electronic kit with real cymbals and we were playing along to some sequenced tracks with live vocals and live guitar solos . It was a cool band ...anyway .
    We were in Kennewick Washington . I look down and the next song coming up was Bostons "Long Time" . So I close my eyes and I hear the count in , I'm wearing headphones , and that organ intro starts . Just then I hear this loud voice yell "..YOU , ME , LATER !!" and it startled me . I open my eyes and it's a drunk lady two inches from my face telling me she wants to get with me . Well just then a BIG guy jumps on stage to pull her off , I look over to the keyboards where the guitar player usually stands to see if he's going to turn the sequencer off . Well he's over picking his girlfriend , one of the female singers , off the floor because this girl knocked her over to get up on stage ! So the song is still going and all I could think of was to start playing . So it gets to the part where I have to accent on the cymbals with the organ , if you hear the song you'll know what I mean . But right on cue when I hit that first cymbal the first punch is thrown and lands ! Then all heck breaks loose ! And here I am still playing the song . And it's that long build up before the guitar comes in . And it was like I was playing the sound track to this huge brawl ! LOL !! And it was all happening on the dance floor so I felt safe . And chairs are flying and hats and bottles ! And this whole time I'm still playing that intro to that song . Then when the organ intro is over and the guitar is about to come in I get up and turned the sequencer off . The whole thing was over by then , just a big mess in the club !
    Every time I hear that song on the radio I break out laughing hysterically !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Want to hear a funny story ? This is a true story ... things that happen when you're on the road .
    Back in 1990 I was on the road with a four piece band , two female singers a guy guitar player and myself . I was playing an electronic kit with real cymbals and we were playing along to some sequenced tracks with live vocals and live guitar solos . It was a cool band ...anyway .
    We were in Kennewick Washington . I look down and the next song coming up was Bostons "Long Time" . So I close my eyes and I hear the count in , I'm wearing headphones , and that organ intro starts . Just then I hear this loud voice yell "..YOU , ME , LATER !!" and it startled me . I open my eyes and it's a drunk lady two inches from my face telling me she wants to get with me . Well just then a BIG guy jumps on stage to pull her off , I look over to the keyboards where the guitar player usually stands to see if he's going to turn the sequencer off . Well he's over picking his girlfriend , one of the female singers , off the floor because this girl knocked her over to get up on stage ! So the song is still going and all I could think of was to start playing . So it gets to the part where I have to accent on the cymbals with the organ , if you hear the song you'll know what I mean . But right on cue when I hit that first cymbal the first punch is thrown and lands ! Then all heck breaks loose ! And here I am still playing the song . And it's that long build up before the guitar comes in . And it was like I was playing the sound track to this huge brawl ! LOL !! And it was all happening on the dance floor so I felt safe . And chairs are flying and hats and bottles ! And this whole time I'm still playing that intro to that song . Then when the organ intro is over and the guitar is about to come in I get up and turned the sequencer off . The whole thing was over by then , just a big mess in the club !
    Every time I hear that song on the radio I break out laughing hysterically !
    Wow!! An all out bar brawl during a Boston tune. Good thing you turned off sequencer. La Grange...I wonder what would of happened if you guys played that ol classic??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    RIP Sib Hashian...I saw a rare Boston concert in Oakland CA in the mid '80s. Sib rocked it!! He apparently died on stage playing on board a cruise ship. Efforts to revive him failed.
    SAD!

RIP, Sib.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Too young.

User Info Menu

Boston was one of my favorite bands and Sib was a great drummer. RIP Sib but your drumming lives on though your years with Boston.

User Info Menu

That's horrible to see but I'm glad he went doing what he loves.... RIP

My student will be sad she's a huge Boston fan and we're working on one of their songs currently.

User Info Menu

Another maker of my memories has passed on, reminding us that in the end we are mere mortals. His body of work will live on though. RIP Sib.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!