Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't get 42 strand wires right

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can't get 42 strand wires right

i never really understood the whole snare bed thing. i mean once you put the head on it... it won't even matter if it's there or not.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

In a nutshell;
    The snare wires and straps on a conventional snare (I.e. the tension system) extends over the bearing edge of the drum. If there is no snare bed, all the mechanical adjustment of the throw-off (which is vertical) is converted to strictly horizontal tension (stretching) of the snare wires themselves. The wires get tight from the pulling tension but do not get adjusted against the head tighter or looser. The tight wires restrict the bottom head movement and choke the drum. The bed allows for the vertical adjustment of the snare wires against the head. The snare wires are pulled up into the head until they "bottom out" in the snare bed...at which point, any additional movement is converted into horizontal tension (stretching) of the snare wires.

When you think about it this way, as a combination of horizontal and vertical axis movement, you can see how things like bed depth, width, wire strands, etc. can really have an effect.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

thank you for the explanation. still seems like splitting hairs.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Here's a pretty good explanation from Gene D'Amico of D'Amico drums.

http://drummagazine.com/snare-beds-w...-what-they-do/

Splitting hairs is not such a great idiom when describing why snare beds are necessary on certain snare drums.

We're talking about a precision acoustic instrument not unlike a violin or acoustic guitar.

Small adjustments on things like snare beds are just as critical as a bridge on a guitar or violin.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

We always talk about drum tuning, and the general consensus is "you just have to do it over and over to learn and understand it". In my opinion, the same holds true with understanding drum design. It wasn't until I started experimenting around with old drums (hands-on experience) that I really began to understand and appreciate how bearing edges, snare beds, shell construction and stuff like that works. When I built my own snare out of an old 13" tom, I started out with no snare bed. I tried it, then gave it a fairly narrow & deep bed and tried it again. Then I widened it out and gave the ramps a more gradual taper. I also experimented with flat beds and edges with a bearing edge...as well as the amount of outside bevel on the edges. I still don't understand it all, BUT, I do know (from first hand experience) how seemingly subtle changes can make a huge difference.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham