Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get 42 strand wires right

User Info Menu

Default Can't get 42 strand wires right

I bought a 42 strand set of wires for the heck of it a few months ago. If I go too loose, I can feel they aren't touching the bottom head, but you still get the sound. If I go any tighter, it chokes the snare and it still sounds loose. So I really don't know what to do. Anyone else have this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can't get 42 strand wires right

I use them on 2 of my snares... Maybe the wires aren't all laying /hanging flat against the head because of some defective attachment to the ends? Also I found you really have to attach them more carefully to the drum than snares with fewer wires.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

You probably have a snare bed issue.
    Unless your snare has a wider snare bed cut ,the snares won't lay flat against the bottom head.
    Most snares are cut for an 18 or 22 strand snare wire.

See:

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...x-4-quot-snare
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Unless your snare has a wider snare bed cut ,the snares won't lay flat against the bottom head.

See:

Hmm. I never thought of that. I'll take a look with the head off tomorrow.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I use them on 2 of my snares... Maybe the wires aren't all laying /hanging flat against the head because of some defective attachment to the ends? Also I found you really have to attach them more carefully to the drum than snares with fewer wires.
    That's originally what I was thinking. I'm using snare cord and these wires have the proper channels so I have no idea.

-Mike

User Info Menu

have them on 8x14 Gretsch snare (with plastic straps) Sounds awesome!

all the best...

User Info Menu

What is the snare drum you put this on? Also what heads are you using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    What is the snare drum you put this on? Also what heads are you using?
    Ludwig cs custom birch 5.5x14. Ambassador X on the top, regular snare side ambassador on the bottom.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post

See:

This is my thinking as well. Ludwig snares usually have an extremely wide, deep bed with long tapering, but the Accent series may not, IDK. To me, the fact that you can choke it and still get buzz indicates the outside wires are not able to seat properly.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Not trying to be a wiseacre but check if you accidentally put them on upside down. It happens
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Not trying to be a wiseacre but check if you accidentally put them on upside down. It happens
    +1...I always have to check twice that I'm not putting them on upside down.

User Info Menu

^ yup...

User Info Menu

I double checked. They're on properly. the channel leta the cord sit up against the head.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I bought a Tama SLP Black Brass that came with a 42 strand wire. I couldn't get enough snare buzz out of it, even after changing heads twice and switching to 20 strand Puresound wires. I asked my friend, a drummer and recording studio owner to take a look at it. He told me the heads I had on it (Evans HD Dry and Hazy 300) and the moongels were choking it. I put a UV1 batter and 200 on it and now it's cracking! So it might not be only the snare wires that are causing the issue. The same head that didn't work on the brass snare, I put on a wood (ash) snare and that one sounds better as well, so it's a matter of finding the right combination for the particular drum.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Just as I thought. No snare bed.

IMG_2094.jpg

-Mike

User Info Menu

Attachment 13660
    Attached Images Attached Images

-Mike

User Info Menu

Looks like it has a bed to me...just kinda narrow and shallow. Nothing a little sand paper, elbow grease and courage can't fix!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Like kay-gee mentioned, (the plastic straps). I believe it may be good for this drum because of the narrower space that's needed to clear the snare bed.
    A lot of this stuff is trial and error.

User Info Menu

Looks like one side has a snare bed and the other doesn't.
    Looks like a bad QA job.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I think it'a just a warped shell. The whole thing can teeter on both ends.

-Mike

User Info Menu

42 strand wires should be sold giving beforehand knowledge,to the consumer.About them being compatible with drums with wide snare beds only.I went in the other direction,using 12 strand wires.The sound is really surprising.No loss of crispness,but it lets the drum open up.Less chance of the drum choking.Tama makes them for around $8.00.So,experimenting won't break the bank.

User Info Menu

yeah definitely the drum causing the issue. Not designed for those wires. You can make it work yourself though.

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks for the info

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

I think those wires are working good. I use 42 strands on my snares that have a TON of overtones. Mostly brass, steel, or something that is just "too much". It chokes a bit of the overtones and is nice and snappy... There is more surface area on the bottom head. That is what they do. If you put your fingers on the bottom of your snare reso it will do the same thing. I have played around with the tuning with my 42 and it made a difference as well, but I find them to have a perfect application for a low tuned, fat, wet snare sound.

User Info Menu

......................................and 1 needs 42 strand snare for............................................... ...........................................?

"low tuned, fat, wet snare sound"

I have been waiting for a explanation as to what a trashy, dry, warm, cuddly, soft but will attack, drum sound is. Now I have to find out what a low tuned, fat, wet snare sound is compared to a high tuned, skinny, dry snare sound.

Actually, I don't want anyone to try to explain this crap because I absolutely couldn't care less. (Once you say "absolutely", you can't care less if you tried, and I'll put money on the table that nobody in the crowd that is sitting, standing with no help, dancing, or going to the bar for their 12th drink, is saying that the drums have a trashy, wet, dry, warm sound). I've seen road kill with more variables.

Just in case somebody hasn't noticed, when all is said and done, THEY SOUND LIKE FREAKIN' DRUMS. I noticed that about 60 years ago.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 10-21-2017 at 12:04 PM.