Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got the wrong cymbal back

User Info Menu

Default I got the wrong cymbal back

This morning I got a package that read "sabian" oh boy! My 18" AAX Xplosion warranty. I open it up, t shirt, cymbal cleaner, ton of books and stickers. Then I pick the cymbal up. Beautiful. Like a mirror. Wait a minute, this sounds different. I take a look at the label and sure enough, 16". I guess I have to pay for shipping again!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: I got the wrong cymbal back

oh no you make them send you a shipping label! They'll do it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    oh no you make them send you a shipping label! They'll do it
    They did the first time but I still had to pay $20 for shipping so now I have to do it again, which is just paying for a cymbal refresh at this point.

-Mike

User Info Menu

-Mike

User Info Menu

Talk to the customer rep and tell them they shipped the wrong cymbal for the warranty claim. In my opinion, you should not have to pay for their mistake.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Talk to the customer rep and tell them they shipped the wrong cymbal for the warranty claim. In my opinion, you should not have to pay for their mistake.
    This.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I will be getting in contact with them again for sure. But now I hav to ship it back and i'll get the cymbal in another month. They should let me keep this 16" too!

-Mike

User Info Menu

Absolutely no way you should pay to return it. This is their mistake. Make them pay the shipping.

User Info Menu

I hope Sabian tell you to keep the 16 as compensation for their faux-pas and send you either your refurbished 18 AAX or a new replacement. I wonder if someone has sent in a 16 for refurbishment and received your cymbal in return. Either way this is definitely down to Sabian to put right at their expense. After their cleaner damaged your new cymbal, you definitely don't need any further hassle - your frustration is understandable, try not to lose it when you get in contact with them..

User Info Menu

I've dealt with Kevin Laskey, Sabian's customer rep (kevinl@sabian.com) and he's a really cool guy to work with. I don't know the circumstances or who you were dealing with but Kevin has helped on three occasions. Once with my HHX 13" Dave Weckl hithat customization and then guiding me through the Sabian refresh program for several cymbals I sent in. He also took care of a small flea bite on the edge of my 16" Sabian AAX Studio crash which he was able to trim off the damaged area before the crash was cleaned and re-ink'd. I ended up trading that one in at my local music store after I got it back since the tone changed after they cut a 1/16" of the edge of the crash. The guys at the music store thought it was a brand new cymbal and gave me more store credit than it was worth.

Good luck Mike!

User Info Menu

I've dealt with Kevin Laskey, Sabian's customer rep (kevinl@sabian.com) and he's a really cool guy to work with. I don't know the circumstances or who you were dealing with but Kevin has helped on three occasions. Once with my HHX 13" Dave Weckl hithat customization and then guiding me through the Sabian refresh program for several cymbals I sent in. He also took care of a small flea bite on the edge of my 16" Sabian AAX Studio crash which he was able to trim off the damaged area before the crash was cleaned and re-ink'd. I ended up trading that one in at my local music store after I got it back since the tone changed after they cut a 1/16" of the edge of the crash. The guys at the music store thought it was a brand new cymbal and gave me more store credit than it was worth.

Good luck Mike!
    Kevin was the one who has been helping me since I first contacted them. You're definitely right about him being a great guy. He helped me through the whole process. I contacted them back and they said I have to wait until Monday because he's out of town right now.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Don't know what your full intentions are but I would NOT send back the 16" until you get your correct replacement. Even then, they should send a call tag for it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Kevin was the one who has been helping me since I first contacted them. You're definitely right about him being a great guy. He helped me through the whole process. I contacted them back and they said I have to wait until Monday because he's out of town right now.
    That's good news you're dealing with Kevin. He's an honest genuine person and he knows how passionate we are when it comes to cymbals.

During the winter 2010 Olympics when Canada and the U.S.A hockey team faced each other for the Olympic Gold Medal, the entire Sabian factory took time off during their shift to watch the final match which delayed the completion of the modification's I had requested for a brand new set of HHX 13" Evolution hihats I had sent in.

Kevin explained the advantage of having them cut two vent holes in the bottom cymbal cup along with adding 8 rivets to the bottom cymbal instead of doing it myself which he said would keep the factory warranty intact but he also apologized for the delay and confessed that the entire production team was in the break room yelling and rooting for team Canada. Well...Canada won the gold and my Evo's arrived two days after the win.

As a U.S. customer, Kevin walked me through Sabian's process to save me from paying the Canadian custom fees when I sent my AAX cymbals for the re-fresh program by explaining the shipping depot they had set up on the U.S. side of the border. I was thrilled to find out from him that Sabian sends a truck to pick up warranty and re-fresh orders on the Maine/Canadian border and the driver simply picks up and drives back across the US/Canadian Customs check point when the orders are completed. The cymbals are loaded on freight trucks and the long journey starts from Maine to AnyTown USA. They always cover the return shipping costs back to the U.S. so I know Kevin will do whatever he can to make it right. I know you hail from Canada so I'm going to assume the freight should be a non issue since you live in the Great White North!

Last edited by late8; 03-24-2017 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Its kind of surprising that they offer to do this at all. Warranty is one thing but seems like they create problems for themselves with the refreshing and reinking risking something getting lost, mixed up or damaged on the return trip.

They look great though. Nice touches on the bottom hat Rich
    Last edited by slinky; 03-26-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Its kind of surprising that they offer to do this at all. Warranty is one thing but seems like they create problems for themselves with the refreshing and reinking risking something getting lost, mixed up or damaged on the return trip.

They look great though. Nice touches on the bottom hat Rich
    Thanks slinky. $40 USD per cymbal for the cleaning and re-ink regardless of the size and you pay one-way freight. Sabian's cleaning process is amazing and with new ink, man the cymbals look like it just came off the production line.

User Info Menu

I sent back a china with a tiny crack on the edge, maybe 1/8" long. They cut the cymbal down enough to get ride of the crack, polished, and re-inked. Came back like a brand new cymbal. Though, they did screw up. Re-finished as a traditional finish rather than the brilliant I had and wanted. Not a huge deal so I didn't worry about it, other than to let them know.

User Info Menu

Kevin emailed me back today. They're going to send me a prepaid shipping label so I can send it back to them.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Kevin emailed me back today. They're going to send me a prepaid shipping label so I can send it back to them.
    Awesome news...

User Info Menu

Unbelievable. So now they're telling me I didn't send an 18". I showed them the receipt that shows an 18" Xplosion crash. Wow. I knew it wouldn't be this easy.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 03-29-2017 at 12:01 PM.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Oh-NO!
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Yeah he said it went through 4 people and someone would have corrected the error. Words can't explain how angry I am today.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yeah he said it went through 4 people and someone would have corrected the error. Words can't explain how angry I am today.
    WHAAAAAT?? You got to be kidding me?

User Info Menu

Here's the email:

Hey Mike,

The guys in the Vault confirmed that the cymbal was a 16”. The RMA and order was filled out for the 16” AAXplosion crash and the cleaner. Any size difference would have been noted when the cymbal arrived and was received in. Four people would have handled this piece, the receiver, Vault member who did the work, bar coder, and shipper. If the cymbal was an 18” it would certainly have been corrected by someone in the process. I spoke to the receiver and the guy who did the work on the cymbal. They both confirmed that the cymbal was a 16”. This was easy to remember since it was listed as a problem with the cleaner. Both verified that the size was correct on the paperwork.

Kevin

RMA # 29018

-Mike

User Info Menu

Mike, do you have proof on your end it was an 18" AAXplosion crash that was sent in? If you do, then I'd contact Kevin with the proof!

IMG_1639.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 03-29-2017 at 02:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Mike, do you have proof on your end it was an 18" AAXplosion crash that was sent in? If you do, then I'd contact Kevin with the proof!

IMG_1639.jpg
    I sent him this picture again. It clearly says 18" in the picture. If not, 45cm is clear. I sent him many photos of the scratched cymbal that said 18", and I never once mentioned a 16".

-Mike