Thread: From a hanging tom to a legged tom and back .

User Info Menu

Default From a hanging tom to a legged tom and back .

I have a set of Pearl Session Custom in the all Maple shells . It has the 14 inch hanging tom . I was ok with that for a long time . But now I just don't feel like carrying the extra weight of the double braced DW cymbal stand I was using to hang it off of . So I dug out the Ludwig Atlas mounts and put them on along with a set of legs from the old REMO kit I use to have .
    Well...it worked ..sort of . I'm now using a Yamaha single braced stand that I put a 21 inch ride and a 18 inch crash on . So the hardware bag is much lighter . But now the floor tom doesn't extend high enough . And it's a bit top heavy , because the shell is 12 inches deep , the legs are at the very top . Then it sorta looks like something that belongs in a Star Wars movie .
    Last night we had a gig and the leader of the band was late with the PA and we had to start without him playing instrumentals . So as we were playing he throws a speaker cord behind me and it caught the leg and the tom fell over and almost went over the 15 foot drop behind me !
    So I decided to put it back as a hanging tom and drag out that DW stand once again .
    Lesson learned ....

P floor.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: From a hanging tom to a legged tom and back .

haha yeah honestly I love my hanging drums because i also don't have to deal with the three legs when setting up. Yes an extra stand but saved me hassle.

User Info Menu

I generally prefer legs, but that just doesn't look right! Have you thought about using a snare stand? I've seen guys use marching snares that depth. I guess it depends on how high you like your floor tom, and how low your stand will go.

User Info Menu

Just buy a set of longer floor tom legs. Inexpensive. Then you can go back to the light weight Yamaha cymbal stand.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Kinda cute a 14 with legs.

I don't even break down the legs on my floors anymore. Just put em in the car and take em out but i go caseless. Legs make great carrying handles
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

WorldMax DSS1414F 14" Floor Tom Support System w/ Legs. Have you looked into this?

big_DSS-1414.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    WorldMax DSS1414F 14" Floor Tom Support System w/ Legs. Have you looked into this?

big_DSS-1414.jpg
    Yes ... but I didn't/don't want to spend any money . I've got it hanging off of the same Yamaha cymbal stand and it's holding the 21" ride 18" crash and the tom pretty good . I put one of the Atlas mounts on the top of the drum and use a PDP single tom mount to hold it to the stand . Much lighter than the Pearl tom mount and arm attachment . After a bit of trial and error I got what I wanted after all ... a lighter hardware bag .
    Thanks for the idea tho ...

User Info Menu

Just wanted to post a picture of how it all turned out . The stand here is a double braced Pearl because I didn't want to drag the Yamaha stand out of the bag . This stand is what I use on the kit in Ludwig kit I practice on daily .
    So ... thanks for looking in on my thread .

hanging floor.jpg

User Info Menu

Looking nice Rudy. It sure is an improvement from them skinny legs you bolted on!

User Info Menu

I've never used a hanging set up for floor toms.

User Info Menu

I've tried hanging my 16x14 Ludwig concert tom like that. Actually worked well, as long as I used a stand with a wide base and positioned the tom directly over a leg. The center of gravity is low & stable.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've tried hanging my 16x14 Ludwig concert tom like that. Actually worked well, as long as I used a stand with a wide base and positioned the tom directly over a leg. The center of gravity is low & stable.
    Yeah, here's an example of a 11x13 tom I use on my yammies using a Pearl base part of a boom stand. I was able to cut it down about 2"/ it works well. I also use it w/my Slingerland kit and hang a 15x12 on it and it's a very heavy tom. I use a optimount on that one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Yeah, here's an example of a 11x13 tom I use on my yammies using a Pearl base part of a boom stand. I was able to cut it down about 2"/ it works well. I also use it w/my Slingerland kit and hang a 15x12 on it and it's a very heavy tom. I use a optimount on that one.
    That's a sweet modification Doc! The base tripod looks OEM with the YESS mount!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    My 16x14 is a Ludwig 3ply, so it's not too heavy. It has a RIMS mount with an L-rod bracket. I figured when I re-wrap the kit, I'll switch it out from L-rod to the '80s style Ludwig tube mount (like the Pearl style). Then I can drop the 7/8" tube tom arm right into a cymbal stand base.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nothing beats Legs! In set up time, in stability, in stage foot print....Nothing!

all the best...

User Info Menu

If I decide to use my DW Collector's kit, I hang the 12x14" and 16" roto tom off of the rack.

If stands are used, I'm really pushing the limits by hanging both the 12x14 and 9x12 off of one stand. This kit didn't come with floor toms which I wish it had at least a 14x16".

Last edited by late8; 04-07-2017 at 10:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Nothing beats Legs! In set up time, in stability, in stage foot print....Nothing!

all the best...
    I have both hanging and legged toms on different kits . I don't find a plus (better than..) from one to the other . The cymbal stand is still there when I use a legged tom . So I don't carry anything extra to hang the tom off of that stand except the clamp to attach the drum to it . So it's not that big a deal ... at least not to me .
    Heck depending one the gig some times I DON'T take a floor tom . Right now I'm at the point where I don't want to be carrying any extra weight if I don't have to .
    no floor.jpg

User Info Menu

Used FT legs are always available on feeBay for peanuts if you decide to go back to legs.

Your main problem IMO was someone trying to save time by throwing a cable...... what could possibly go wrong there?