Thread: Review: Behringer Xenyx 802 8 Input 2 Bus Mixer

User Info Menu

Default Review: Behringer Xenyx 802 8 Input 2 Bus Mixer

My Behringer $50 headphone amp died last year and I needed to replace it with something within the same price point so I discovered the Behringer Xenyx 802 2 Bus Mixer at my local mom and pop independent music store a few weeks ago for $60 USD. I want to share my thoughts about this mixer and my use for it.

First off, I'm not using the 802 for it's intended purpose, to mix instruments. I was using the headphone amp to boost the line level from my metronome and to be able to pan the A/B channel on the headphone amp between it and a playback source such as an Mp3 player to balance the two in my headphones while I practice. I was never able to get enough volume from the just the metronome alone in the headphones and I needed to be able hear the recorded music while the metronome clicked. The right balance is critical since I need to hear kit which is unmic'd, the music on the mp3 player and the metronome. Getting the right balance was difficult to achieve until I bought the 802 mixer. It certainly is an upgrade from the headphone amp.

The connections for the metronome and the mp3 player is a pretty simple set up. For the mp3 player, I'm using an RCA to 3.5 mini cable out of the headphone jack on the player to the RCA 2 track input on the mixer. The metronome has a 1/4" instrument cable plugged into the 1/4" headphone jack that connects to a 1/4" input on one of the mixer channels.

By selecting the 2 track to mix button on the mixer, I can combine the metronome and the mp3 player together at the right volume and still hear the kit from the bleed through from the headphones.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Review: Behringer Xenyx 802 8 Input 2 Bus Mixer

continued...

There is one nagging issue on the 802 that I cannot get my head around. There is NO on/off power switch. I looked over every inch of this mixer and found nothing to turn the power off except to unplug the power supply cable from the back of the mixer. I wish the power cable was designed like a typical low voltage power supply but the cable is Behringer specific and plugging it in requires lining up a tiny plastic guide pin to seat the A/C power supply plug into the mixer.

Nothing on the bottom of the mixer to indicate an on/off switch.

I found nothing on the front of the mixer for an on/off power switch.

I checked the instruction manual and found the obvious but no indication if an on/off switch was ever designed for this unit.

User Info Menu

conclusion...

Pros: Inexpensive, compact size, RCA 2 track to mix and RCA 2 track to control room, built in mic-preamps
    Cons: No on/off switch.

User Info Menu

DBX 266XL compressors don't have power switches either. weird...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    DBX 266XL compressors don't have power switches either. weird...
    Come to think of it..my dbx234 cross over has no on/off switch either. If I'm forgetful, the dbx could be left on for weeks...