Thread: Electrical requirements for your band?

User Info Menu

Default Electrical requirements for your band?

Late8's thread on stage lights got me thinking....

What does your band do in terms of electrical? I'm sure the nice clubs all have adequate outlets on stage, but most of the old small bars, outdoor gigs, private parties, etc. we play can be "sketchy".
    We always carry several long, heavy gauge outdoor extension cords and power strips. On occasion we have issues with non-grounded outlets. I've been told some bands use 220V outlets and then pull 110V off of it.
    Do you guys use power conditioners? What about outlets?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Electrical requirements for your band?

For a beach party, might bring a generator too!

all the best...

User Info Menu

2 triple A batteries and a hamster in a wheel pretty much covered it. If we needed more, we bought another hamster.

User Info Menu

Lol

User Info Menu

There were times when I was so glad I was "just the drummer" and never had to deal with finding an adequate power supply to run amps, the PA or lights. We pulled up one morning at 8:00am to an empty parking lot to play at a "Farmer's Market" event. Finding power was like being on a "Scavenger Hunt".

User Info Menu

We're a 3piece band, bass and guitar amp, power amp ( class D, weighs 10lbs) led lighting...1plug and power strips that's all we need. We had a gig where we tripped the breaker....When we arrived it was already tripped but there was 1 working. After it tripped in the middle of a song we quickly went to that 1 single that was on when we arrived, all good after that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    There were times when I was so glad I was "just the drummer" and never had to deal with finding an adequate power supply to run amps, the PA or lights. We pulled up one morning at 8:00am to an empty parking lot to play at a "Farmer's Market" event. Finding power was like being on a "Scavenger Hunt".

Did ya end up knockin on that house's door, asking to string a power cord over the fence?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Did ya end up knockin on that house's door, asking to string a power cord over the fence?
    lol!!! I knocked on the door to see if I could use their toilet...

User Info Menu

Can't find power? Hopefully the guitar players packed acoustic instruments. Oh and perhaps your singer should bring along a mega phone.

On a serious note... If a customer books you for a gig, isn't it their responsibility to provide adequate power? Do bands send along their power requirements before the show?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I've never really had issues with any place that has live bands on a regular basis. The issue is usually outdoor gigs, private parties and places that rarely have bands. Many of the small town bars are in buildings that are 100 years old. Before we play in a new place, I always visit ahead of time to scope it out. That way, I have an idea where we'll set up, how big of a sound system to bring, what size drums & amps, etc..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

We have the heavy gauge 50-100ft electrical cords , a few power strips, and tool box with electrical parts. We need more lighting, we just have a shoplight on a string and a clamp. Thankfully all the outside gigs we had were daytime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post

If a customer books you for a gig, isn't it their responsibility to provide adequate power? Do bands send along their power requirements before the show?
    In my opinion, a site survey is a must if there are too many "unknown factors". I also provide a stage plot if we're paying for a professional sound company. I'll look for off stage power outlets and areas to stash the kit.

At this particular club, there was a small "nook" right next to the women's restroom where we were able to keep the kit covered before our stage call:

If we're playing outdoors like a public park, I'll look for the big green "monster" power box and where the easiest access is located to the stage.