Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Any regrets?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Any regrets?

    Is there anything regarding your drumming career that you regret? Anything you would do differently if you could go back and do it all over again? I guess this applies more to the older drummers in here, maybe in their 30's and over.
    - Tom

    T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

    -----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html



    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Is there anything regarding your drumming career that you regret? Anything you would do differently if you could go back and do it all over again? I guess this applies more to the older drummers in here, maybe in their 30's and over.
    I regret that I took such a long break from playing. I wouldn't have been easy with young kids, but I wish I had at least kept up some minimal amount of playing so that I would be much further ahead now, instead of trying to get back to where I was at 23.


    2017 DW Design 5 piece Tobacco Burst
    Evans, Remo

    2010 Tama Superstars 5 piece Birch BPG
    Evans, Aquarian

    200? Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 piece Black and Silver Sparkle
    Evans, Aquarian

    1980 Slingerland 7 piece Poplar/Maple white
    Evans

    Tama SLP Black Brass

    Yamaha DTX532k

    Tama RoadPro hardware
    Speed Cobra 310 bass pedal
    Iron Cobra Jr double bass pedal
    Camco/Tama bass pedal

    Zildjian

    14" New Beat High Hats
    14" A Custom High Hats
    6", 8", 10" Fast Splashs
    12" A Custom Splash
    15" A Custom Crash
    15" K Custom Dark Crash
    16" A Fast Crash
    17" A Custom Projection Crash
    18" A Custom Projection Crash
    18" A Rock Crash
    18" China
    18" A Medium Thin Crash
    19" A Rock Crash
    20" Zildjian A Ride
    20" Zildjian A Custom Ride

    Miktek, Audix and Shure Mics
    Vater sticks

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    After I bought my first house, I wasn't in a band for a while and I wondered if I even needed that whole set of Ludwig Super Classic Maple drums? After all, I hadn't played any music with a group for months and months, and with the house and everything, I could sure use the extra cash. So I sold them.
    From that moment, my soul died slowly every day until I bought another set of drums.
    I still regret letting those drums go.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    I too regret the on-again-off-again approach I took from my early 20's until my early 40's. Then again, I may have burnt myself out by now if I'd stayed committed. I never gave up playing drums in a band completely, just never played much during that time.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    I regret not keeping up with music lessons I started when I was young, and I stopped in my late teens. Life happens, career happens, wife happens and then the kids came along. I took a 20+ year break and while I am having a great time, I wish I could get those "music" years back.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I regret that I took such a long break from playing. I wouldn't have been easy with young kids, but I wish I had at least kept up some minimal amount of playing so that I would be much further ahead now, instead of trying to get back to where I was at 23.
    Exactly my feeling. I allowed an unpleasant situation to push me away from drumming. Then school, marriage, kids and career kept me occupied. I wouldn't trade those things away for the world, but I did miss the drumming. It's good to be back to being a rock star in my own mind, even if I can't remember where I put my chops.
    The boomy things:
    Mapex Orion Classic 6 pc
    The pingy/crashy things:
    K Custom Dark and K Darks
    A Customs
    Meinl Byzance
    Silken Sebring and Avus
    More cowbells than I have cows.
    The other things:
    Roland TD9, Pintech drum triggers, Yamaha cymbal triggers

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    The long break for me as well about 8 years. My old guitarist got married and she was a control/micro managing freak and eventually lead to a divorce. Some reason the whole thing put me in a serious funk for 8 years. My wife is the one that got me out of it and encouraged me to start playing again, plus my other guitarist moved back from Florida and we hooked up.

    I also regret not stopping from trying to "make it" in the music biz. By 1991-92 heavy/thrash/speed metal was dead grunge was in full swing. But we ignored the writing on the wall and pushed on. No studio or record execs want to hear anything we were doing. A lot of wasted time and discouragement.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Seems like 'long breaks' is a common theme. Man, life does get in the way doesn't it? We're all doing the best we can. We have to make those hard decisions. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don't. Of course, there's no guarantee that sticking it through would have provided better results would everyone agree?
    - Tom

    T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

    -----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html



    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    I regret never having a drum set teacher. I could have learned so much more than I know now.
    Drumming is the best psychiatry.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    I regret sending my cymbal to sabian. Never again.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Seems like 'long breaks' is a common theme. Man, life does get in the way doesn't it? We're all doing the best we can. We have to make those hard decisions. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don't. Of course, there's no guarantee that sticking it through would have provided better results would everyone agree?
    Exactly. I'm having a total blast playing music right now. Part of the reason is because from 20 to 40, I engaged in other (arguably more important) aspects of life. That left me in my late 40's, comfortable in the other aspects of life, and now able to enjoy playing music for the joy I derive from it. To admit I regret not being more active musically is true, but that also assumes I would have enjoyed it then as I do now. In reality, it very well may have soured me after several years....in which case I would possibly be walking around the park with a metal detector or collecting stamps, LOL.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    I've had a few...

    Acoustic & Electronic:
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch)
    Premier Artist Maple (with Birch Snare) - yellow/fusion.
    Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Roland TD-1KV

    Paiste Signature:
    10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18", 20" Full Crash

    Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

    Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride

    Paiste Sound Formula:
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

    Paiste Twenty:
    16" China


  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Not to beat a dead horse, but, like many others here.........I regret taking some years off.

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    I have no regrets. I too took time off. I had to deal with a divorce and I had to re-build my finances after it wiped me out over twenty years ago but the emotional struggles and having my '66 Ludwigs by my side has made me who I am today; a stronger person inside and a will to survive.
    Last edited by late8; 03-30-2017 at 09:52 AM.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    I regret having regrets. They are a total waste of time because you can't change what you did or didn't do.

    If I could go back and change 1 thing, it would be a 4 minute period in my life where I was in as close to a perfect relationship as 1 could want, so I took a Claymore and where it says "This side toward moron", I placed it carefully and blew the relationship all to hell. That is the 1 that has haunted me for 50 years and is the biggest single regret I have. All the other 1's mean nothing.

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    I started later in life on drums and have only been at this for 6-7 years now. I regret joining a band as quickly as I did. Playing with other musicians in a 'jam session' is invaluable, but if knew then what I know now, I'd have waited at least two years before actually joining a band.

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    I've had a few...
    Ha-ha!

    - Tom

    T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

    -----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html



    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I have no regrets. I too took time off. I had to deal with a divorce and I had to re-build my finances after it wiped me out over twenty years ago but the emotional struggles and having my '66 Ludwigs by my side has made me who I am today; a stronger person inside and a will to survive.
    We sometimes go through dark storms. I'm glad it worked out for you in the long run Rich. And I'm glad you had your drums to help you through.
    - Tom

    T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

    -----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html



    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    If I could go back and change 1 thing, it would be a 4 minute period in my life where I was in as close to a perfect relationship as 1 could want, so I took a Claymore and where it says "This side toward moron", I placed it carefully and blew the relationship all to hell. That is the 1 that has haunted me for 50 years and is the biggest single regret I have. All the other 1's mean nothing.
    You did what you thought was best in the moment. Let it go.
    - Tom

    T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

    -----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html



    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Back when I was getting my music degree in college and playing way too many nights in the Dallas clubs, I knew at an early age that a career in drumming was not for me.
    I did the right thing by choosing another career path and playing drums in local bands for the pure joy of it.
    Even when I got sick of playing in bands and took a break, I used that time to do a lot of studio work, which I loved.
    I'm now back with a band I enjoy and I feel fortunate to be a part of it.
    No regrets except the tired generic regret that I didn't practice more................"everything is never enough"...............No regrets.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Regret not having started younger, was 44 my first lesson. Glad my boys got a chance to try this out at a younger age.
    Drumming noob
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5
    Cranberry Red
    Zildjian A Custom Hats
    Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride
    Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Tama Iron Cobra 600 Series double chain pedal

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    We sometimes go through dark storms. I'm glad it worked out for you in the long run Rich. And I'm glad you had your drums to help you through.
    Thanks Tom!

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    I have no regrets . But there was a time back in the 90's when I had a 5 minute..wait..10 minute period where I wished I had never done it .
    I was 17 years old and still in high school when I was dragged into this circus professionally . I had my childhood sweet heart . We met when we were both 15 . I was content playing my drums in my bedroom along to albums and that's all I ever saw it going . I was taking vocational classes in electronics and was working on a grant to study at the local community collage after graduation . Her name was Lupe and was she beautiful ! And there was no doubt to anyone who knew us that we would marry after graduating . But..then I get dragged into this thing called the music business . We left on the road at the beginning of March , before the prom and graduation , and we were gone for six months . You can imagine what that did to our relationship , and to me .
    So as time went on (years) I heard from my mom that she had married , then had children . Then she had cancer and passed away from it .
    So one day I decided to go put some flowers on her grave . The second I got there I saw that they had used her senior year book picture on her headstone . Well I lost it !! The last time I had seen her we were still in high school and I remember the day she took that picture because I was there and she wore the locket I had given her . And yes ... I did regret leaving on the road , becoming a full time musician . I wished at that moment I could go back and do it all over again and just stick to the plans her and I had made and not had joined that band ! It's like my life with her had flashed before my eyes as to say "see what you missed !" .
    But then as quickly as that I was over it . And I said "it is what it is..move on" and so I did .
    That's it ...that's my story .
    No regrets .

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I have no regrets . But there was a time back in the 90's when I had a 5 minute..wait..10 minute period where I wished I had never done it .
    I was 17 years old and still in high school when I was dragged into this circus professionally . I had my childhood sweet heart . We met when we were both 15 . I was content playing my drums in my bedroom along to albums and that's all I ever saw it going . I was taking vocational classes in electronics and was working on a grant to study at the local community collage after graduation . Her name was Lupe and was she beautiful ! And there was no doubt to anyone who knew us that we would marry after graduating . But..then I get dragged into this thing called the music business . We left on the road at the beginning of March , before the prom and graduation , and we were gone for six months . You can imagine what that did to our relationship , and to me .
    So as time went on (years) I heard from my mom that she had married , then had children . Then she had cancer and passed away from it .
    So one day I decided to go put some flowers on her grave . The second I got there I saw that they had used her senior year book picture on her headstone . Well I lost it !! The last time I had seen her we were still in high school and I remember the day she took that picture because I was there and she wore the locket I had given her . And yes ... I did regret leaving on the road , becoming a full time musician . I wished at that moment I could go back and do it all over again and just stick to the plans her and I had made and not had joined that band ! It's like my life with her had flashed before my eyes as to say "see what you missed !" .
    But then as quickly as that I was over it . And I said "it is what it is..move on" and so I did .
    That's it ...that's my story .
    No regrets .
    Geesh man, that almost brought tears! That's some story! Glad you were able to "move on". It's the best thing for us.
    - Tom

    T-shirts and Gifts for All Musicians

    -----------------------------
    New Drum Party Lights!
    Jazz up your drum room, your studio or your screened in porch. Maybe take them camping!
    Decorate your next party! Now... drummers have their own awesome drum party lights! Drum Chat members get 20% off!
    Simply enter drumlights20 upon checkout.

    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html



    http://store.drumbum.com/skuMSC-382.html

    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any regrets?

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Geesh man, that almost brought tears! That's some story! Glad you were able to "move on". It's the best thing for us.
    Thank you ...yes , not much we can do about it now .

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •