Thread: What's old is new again

User Info Menu

Default What's old is new again

So I spent the past several months messing around with different heads on my kit. In retrospect, it wasn’t cheap but it wasn’t as expensive as a lot of other things we could do in the name of fun. I stuck with Remo for no reason other than I’ve always been a Remo and Zildjian guy. Played coated Ambassadors, coated Emperors, clear Emps, Pinstripes, a few snare heads and a few different kick batters (wandered away from Remo on the kick). Had a blast during the year with the different sounds and feels (feels? is that a word?).

In the end, I came full circle and I’m back to good old coated Ambassadors over clear Ambs (Gretsch Renown toms), coated Ambassador snare (on both Gretsch maple and Supraphonic), PS3 kick batter. It all just sounds right and the feel is right. Maybe it’s just because that’s what I’ve played for years. Maybe it's just a really great sound - even my wife commented when I got back to this combination of heads. Proved to myself there’s a good reason coated Ambs and a PS3 are a standard in setups.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's old is new again

My kit came with pin stripes new. Long time ago. I used those for a while. Then I used coated ambassadors for many yrs. Lately, last several yrs. I've been using 2 ply heads. Coated G2s on the rack toms. I still have an old Emperor on the Fl. tom. I'll probably come back around to Ambassadors again too. For now I'm liking the 2 ply heads. Sk1 on the kick, and Evans HD on the snare.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's old is new again

i never really got into Evans but that HD head is pretty slick.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN