Thread: Floor tom placement

User Info Menu

Default Floor tom placement

Lately I've been watching some vids with guys who have a right-handed kit, with their floor toms both left and right. I'm wondering if I should give it a try. I know the answer lies with me, and if it works for me or not, but I would like any out there who does it to talk about it. I have enough of a time deciding to play left or right, cuz I'm all screwed up like that ! Do you think it would further confuse me ?????

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom placement

I tried this once a long time ago, it didn't suit me, so, meh. The only way to know is to try it yourself for a while. My favorite thing to do with an un-loved floor tom, especially a 16" or 18" one is put it on one of those Drum Workshop DW 9909 bass drum lifters and play it with a pedal!
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Personal preference or fad. Whatever. Set your kit up the way that you feel most comfortable.

User Info Menu

fastarrow, the first question is whether 2 down on your right is comfortable for you. If not, then you have nothing to loose by giving it a try. If 2 down to your right is comfortable, but you just want to see what it feels like to have a floor tom on both sides, go for it.

I personally don't do it, because 2 down to my left is comfortable, and in my practice space, I have too much going on to my left to consider trying to get a floor tom there. So it doesn't make sense for me to change my configuration when I play out (which isn't all that much).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I did this for a few years, while playing with a heavier band. It was pretty fun. I ran (right handed) 2 up, 2 down on the right, and 1 down on the left, with the one on the left pitched in between the two on the right. this setup yielded very easy single strokes running down most of the drums. IE... Tom3(right) ->Tom4(left)->Tom5(right) - followed by a kick, for that "Tri-ple-et-one" feel. Or bigger - Snare(right hand)->Tom2(left hand)->Tom3(right)->Tom4(left)->Tom5(right)->kick->snare : "Tri-ple-et-Tri-ple-et-one(or four-wherever)"

If you only have 2 floor toms, experiment with which one is on which side, based on different rudiments and sticking patterns you have stored in your go-to "muscle memory" bag.

Most importantly... Have fun!
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

I like the idea of being able to switch it up my set up but I found if I put anything left of my hats, it will get ignored; this would include a floor tom, a side snare and cymbals too. I'm severely near-sighted and anything that is distant outside of the frames of my glasses is blurred so it's "out of sight, out of mind" in my case. I wore contacts for many years and I improved my peripheral vision but due to chronic dry eye syndrome, I can no longer can wear them.

If I didn't have this issue with my vision, I'd opt for having a second floor tom left of my hats. In the case of a two down set up, the second floor tom is a stretch to reach but the crash located above it often gets a missed stroke because without turning my head to face it, I can't clearly see it.

Last edited by late8; 04-11-2017 at 08:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice kit !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fastarrow View Post
    Nice kit !
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

A tom on the left , if you play righty , is cool . You can put your coffee cup and extra sticks on it towel and...snacks .
    I tried the 13 on my left a-la Dave Weckl . It was fun at home , where I have all the room in the world . But on the gigs room is pretty tight on stage and the places seem to get smaller and smaller . So that tom went away in short order . But it was fun exploring the possibilities .
    Try it ...