Thread: Favorite Snare Throw-Offs

User Info Menu

Default Favorite Snare Throw-Offs

I thought it might be fun to post pictures and praise for our favorite throw-offs. I'll start:

DW Mag - this is the best thing on the market in my humble opinion. There are basically no moving parts at all to get possibly bound up or stuck. I haven't tried the 3-position butt plate, but I hear it' s great (but too expensive).

dw.jpg

Gretsch Lightning Throw-Off and butt plate - I'm not sure why I like this one so much. It's a bit clunky and the tension adjustment on the butt plate side makes it huge, but it's fast and smooth. There is something about it I just like. It reminds me of a classic muscle car that's just too big and curvy to be practical, but looks cool in the process.

g5375_01.jpg g5379.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Favorite Snare Throw-Offs

I like that Gretsch lightning throw but before it was using the drum key screws, it was difficult to get it tight on the cord..............it was small screws and you had to find the right sized screwdriver to get it tight................and it would still not be tight enough.
    I've never had a Mag throw but I know they work well.

I almost always keep the snares engaged on my snare drums so I just need something that stays put...................most throws can do that.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My PDP Concept has the mag throw. It definitely works better than traditional styles. My ONLY complaint is the size. It stick out so far that it makes it hard to fit into a standard snare bag. Plus, the lever gets caught on the bag when I pull it out.

On the two snares that I've replaced the throw, I went with the "Deluxe Classic" throws from Gibraltar. The look good, work well, built well and are compact. I believe they are the exact same throw as Gretsch uses on their new stuff(?)
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I swapped my Ludwig out with the Gibraltar modern throwoff. Very smooth. Solid throw off.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Gretsch Lightning Throw-Off and butt plate - I'm not sure why I like this one so much. It's a bit clunky and the tension adjustment on the butt plate side makes it huge, but it's fast and smooth. There is something about it I just like. It reminds me of a classic muscle car that's just too big and curvy to be practical, but looks cool in the process.
    With the Gretsch lightning throw -- what are you using to attach snare wires ?
    Cord ? Steel wire ? Nylon ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Fibes SFT 690SFT690.jpg
    Never a better throw made.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

i haven't tried all the existing throw off made by man (!!!) , but to this day the SR-1000 throw off is the smoothest and most precise throw off i've even owned. i use it on my ultracast and reference snare drums, i love it's precise action.

maybe alittle bulky ,but yeah very solid and sturdy.

tama SC/BB anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12-16-bd 22reference snare14x5cymbals HHX's/AAX'shardware tama

User Info Menu

I'm going to agree with Redeye that the DW Mag is the smoothest out there.

I own a lot of snares and there are some super nice throwoffs... but the mag is my favorite.
    I also agree it's nice no parts to bind or go bad.

User Info Menu

Just what I've always wanted...A piece of cast metal the size of a Nikon camera stuck to the side of my drum, in which it's only function is to hold a set of wires against the drum head.

Ludwig P-85 hands down!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think I'll design my own custom throw-off. It will have a built in beer bottle opener and a place to hold my Skoal can.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

P-86 is one of two of my favorite throw offs. It's sleek and compact and so smooth.

The Gretsch Lightening throw off comes in second. It's at thigh level height when not engaged which allows me to engage it by simply lifting my leg up while I'm playing, hence the namesake "Lightening".

User Info Menu

I like the DW Mag Throw coupled with the 3-Position Butt Plate.

User Info Menu

Ludwig P86, early model P85, and P83 in that order ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 05-15-2017 at 07:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah I gotta agree, that DW Mag is so smooth and practical.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

+1 on the DW.............i also like my Trick

User Info Menu

I have to jump on and go with the DW as my favorite, and the Trick as a close second. After that, I would put the Dunnett R4, R2, and the P86.

The revised version the P85 is pretty nice too.

User Info Menu

The Trick is my favourite, but the price often steers me down to the DW mag. The Pearl Reference mentioned above is an awesome piece, but I am not sure of pricing as a separate unit.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Just what I've always wanted...A piece of cast metal the size of a Nikon camera stuck to the side of my drum, in which it's only function is to hold a set of wires against the drum head.

Ludwig P-85 hands down!

all the best...
    Agree the DW is ugly and bulky, but any cheap imported knock off junk performs better than a P-85. Ludwig is so far behind in throwoff technology, sad really.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I really don't give a crap what it is, as long as it does it's job---I keep this one by my left knee so IF I dis-engage the wires in the first place I can flip them back on with my knee!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    With the Gretsch lightning throw -- what are you using to attach snare wires ?
    Cord ? Steel wire ? Nylon ?
    Sorry - I missed this question until now. When I bought the drum, it had a thick white cord, which I left in place. I normally like any kind of strap better so I don't dig a furrow in the snare bed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Sorry - I missed this question until now. When I bought the drum, it had a thick white cord, which I left in place. I normally like any kind of strap better so I don't dig a furrow in the snare bed.
    Thanks for the reply....................

I have a lightning throw on a 4000 series USA snare drum -- it is their top-line COB..................so any "furrow" is not going to happen.
    I like the throw except this one is older and it uses small slotted screws (rather than drum-key-bolts) to tighten the throw on the cord.
    My drum came with very thin wire to attach the snares to the throw -- I couldn't get the small screws tight enough to keep everything in place.
    I switched to regular old snare cords and, although improved, it is still slipping -- I need to find the newer drum-key-bolts and swap them out............a much smarter idea.

Other than those small screws, I like the drum and the lightning throw as well.
    For a COB, it has a bit of a mellow sound to it................not overly loud.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Thanks for the reply....................

I have a lightning throw on a 4000 series USA snare drum -- it is their top-line COB..................so any "furrow" is not going to happen.
    I like the throw except this one is older and it uses small slotted screws (rather than drum-key-bolts) to tighten the throw on the cord.
    My drum came with very thin wire to attach the snares to the throw -- I couldn't get the small screws tight enough to keep everything in place.
    I switched to regular old snare cords and, although improved, it is still slipping -- I need to find the newer drum-key-bolts and swap them out............a much smarter idea.

Other than those small screws, I like the drum and the lightning throw as well.
    For a COB, it has a bit of a mellow sound to it................not overly loud.
    I love my COB Gretsch drum, but it's really warped and the snare bed looks like they formed it with a hammer. I think it still sounds great, but it's really hard to tune.

User Info Menu

I have the DW Mag with the three position butt plate on my main snare and the regular DW throw off on my side snare. I have also used snares from Tama, Ludwig, and Rogers. NOTHING beats the DW Mag. The smoothest, quietest throw off I have ever seen.s
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.