Thread: First 2 notes on Beatles "Come Together"?

User Info Menu

Default First 2 notes on Beatles "Come Together"?

At the beginning of each verse on beats 1 & 2, I hear 2 "clicks" that seem to reverberate somehow right before Ringo hits the hi hats then the tom roll.
    How is he doing that? And how could i duplicate that in performance? Thanks
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Default Re: First 2 notes on Beatles "Come Together"?

I always thought it was two bass drum taps

User Info Menu

Just checked it out. It sounds to me like two hand claps with echo over bass drum and/or floor tom hits. You could either program a similar sound into a sample pad or find something to strike with a similar sound. The echo effect will be another issue.
    You may be able to cover it by hitting a rim with no head contact...but again, the echo will be an issue.
    Another option could be to hit your sticks together near a mic with generous echo added at the board.
    Another option could be to skip it

User Info Menu

Yeah they sound like handclaps with some delay
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I always thought it was two bass drum taps
    Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Just checked it out. It sounds to me like two hand claps with echo over bass drum and/or floor tom hits. You could either program a similar sound into a sample pad or find something to strike with a similar sound. The echo effect will be another issue.
    You may be able to cover it by hitting a rim with no head contact...but again, the echo will be an issue.
    Another option could be to hit your sticks together near a mic with generous echo added at the board.
    Another option could be to skip it
    Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Yeah they sound like handclaps with some delay
    Ok guys. Thanks. Yeah for sure Ringo does hit the bass on those 2 beats, I've seen him do it. Just those other 2 simultaneous sounds got me.
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

I guess I'd ask, if you're playing this live, why would you want to reproduce? It's obviously not all Ringo.

User Info Menu

I've always just played the hat with the kick on the first two notes. Then the next four notes were on the hat with a little sizzle on the fourth note.

User Info Menu

I used to always play a sextuplet on the snare rim over the top of those 2 bass drum notes. With my currently band, we kind of reproduce that sound vocally over the mics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSeven View Post
    At the beginning of each verse on beats 1 & 2, I hear 2 "clicks" that seem to reverberate somehow right before Ringo hits the hi hats then the tom roll.
    How is he doing that? And how could i duplicate that in performance? Thanks
    https://youtu.be/tSPZcPHsl_U

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I've always just played the hat with the kick on the first two notes. Then the next four notes were on the hat with a little sizzle on the fourth note.
    Yup thats what I do too, fits the song very well.