Thread: Playing with another drummer?

User Info Menu

Default Playing with another drummer?

I answered an ad on cl looking for other musicians to jam. Turns out the guy plays some bass and guitar but is mainly a drummer and has 2 e-kits and wants to play with another drummer.

I was turned off by the idea at 1st but after thinking it over I said yes why not? He asked me to bring a throne, pedal, and hi hat stand which tells me the e-kits must be decent if you can use a regular hi hat with it?

Anyone else done this before? Any tips or suggestions? Was it as fun as it sounds? I do not think there will be anyone else there and I think he may be much more advanced than me but maybe I can learn from him and come up with a new way of thinking about drums?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing with another drummer?

my old friend Zach and I use to setup and play all the time. We loved it.
    I keep telling my friend Derek to come jam at my new place as I have 3 kits setup but he keeps bailing.

I find it to be a BLAST.
    I do a lot of fun trading fours and things with me students and even that is a lot of fun.

User Info Menu

I always thought it would be fun. Competition brings out the best in all of us, lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Kinda creeps me out in an odd way.....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I did it a few times and it was fun. I would start doing a solo and he would kick in with his and man what a feeling to explain. Have fun MDK and let us know how it went.

User Info Menu

never at the same time. i've come across drummers turned singers a few times. that always bothered me in a way especially the egos that accompanied them
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

When I was in high school my drummer friend and I performed a double drum solo for a talent show. We spent several weeks attempting to come up with something but the day of the event I couldn't recall anything and it became a free for all.

Still was fun and we had a good time.

Jamming with another drummer can give you new ideas and stuff to feed off of and when you are done I guarantee you'll smile a little, at least.

Go for it!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Was really alot of fun, he is a much better drummer than me but was a really col guy and we jammed for about 2 hrs trading back and forth and he gave me a few really good pointers that I can work on. He has a super nice Roland TD-30 kv and an unbelieveable TD-50kv with KD A-22..Oh my that is hands down the best ekit I have ever seen and he let me play it for like an hour. Has a few high end sampling pads and recorded a bunch of stuff we did. He also plays bass very well and we jammed like that for about an hr. Supercool guy, he is more a funk/jazzy type player where I am more classic /Basic rock but we got on pretty good even though I felt completely out of my element, I play a 1 up 1 down and 1 of his ekit is a 2 up 2 dn, and the other one was 3 up 2 dwn plus the rebound felt a little funny to me but I started to get used to it.

We going to try and plan another one next week, and he may come over my place (2 acoustic kits) and show me how to record myself much better than I am doing now. I tried to explain to him what I am doing but he had too many technical questions about my equipment that were wayyyy over my head...LOL

All in all I am very glad I did it and I hope to do it again
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've played in jams a few times with a friend of mine who also happens to be a drummer. It's just like playing with any other musician: listen and play something complementary. Like guitar players, sometimes I'll play lead and he'll keep the groove going, or vice versa. Or we switch off. Really is a lot of fun with the right person.
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Was really alot of fun, he is a much better drummer than me but was a really col guy and we jammed for about 2 hrs trading back and forth and he gave me a few really good pointers that I can work on. He has a super nice Roland TD-30 kv and an unbelieveable TD-50kv with KD A-22..Oh my that is hands down the best ekit I have ever seen and he let me play it for like an hour. Has a few high end sampling pads and recorded a bunch of stuff we did. He also plays bass very well and we jammed like that for about an hr. Supercool guy, he is more a funk/jazzy type player where I am more classic /Basic rock but we got on pretty good even though I felt completely out of my element, I play a 1 up 1 down and 1 of his ekit is a 2 up 2 dn, and the other one was 3 up 2 dwn plus the rebound felt a little funny to me but I started to get used to it.

We going to try and plan another one next week, and he may come over my place (2 acoustic kits) and show me how to record myself much better than I am doing now. I tried to explain to him what I am doing but he had too many technical questions about my equipment that were wayyyy over my head...LOL

All in all I am very glad I did it and I hope to do it again

Like!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've done this several times through the years and it's always a lot of fun. Don't worry if you're not the better player. Just be musical in your approach and it will be fine.