Thread: Ring of Fire song

User Info Menu

Default Ring of Fire song

Anyone know the stick pattern for the train beat for ring of Fire? I never learned train beat. smh.
    Thanks
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ring of Fire song

I just did a quick google search, and our very own Redeye (member here) has a video of him doing a drum cover of it on Youtube, here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA07BFX_gfc
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Thank you
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    I just did a quick google search, and our very own Redeye (member here) has a video of him doing a drum cover of it on Youtube, here...

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Thank you
    Thanks for the mention! Let me know if you have any questions about the song that I may be able to answer.

User Info Menu

Red...that was an awesome cover! Digging your videos man as always! You're such a great player and I'm sure your entire drumline appreciates the time and effort you put towards their efforts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Red...that was an awesome cover! Digging your videos man as always! You're such a great player and I'm sure your entire drumline appreciates the time and effort you put towards their efforts.
    Thanks! That is very much appreciated. I don't often go back and listen to my videos after they are a couple of years old for fear that I won't like what I did and will remove them, but that one turned out pretty good I think.

As for the drumline, they usually like me until I'm brutally honest about their playing. Then they despise me for a while, but come back and thank me later after they graduate.

User Info Menu

Red eye are the right accents on 2&4? And love the black dot heads and is a awesome video
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I took an listen to the original recording and I'm getting a two beat shuffle pattern using brushes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pgm554; 04-11-2017 at 07:22 PM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

The video I saw live form years ago the drummer is using sticks to play it but thank you for the written part. This is for a band I am going to be in which is doing some country and rock covers.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I just read an interesting article about how a lot of early country musicians didn't use drums. Country evolved from traditional European music where you aren't allowed to use drums so country musicians like Johnny Cash came up with other ways to create rhythm. My favorite was sliding a dollar bill between guitar strings to create a snare-like sound, which Cash did a lot. Not sure if he did this on Ring of Fire but if you want to hear an example, listen to Get Rhythm.
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Red eye are the right accents on 2&4? And love the black dot heads and is a awesome video
    Thanks! I am playing accents on 2 & 4 mostly, but I follow the trumpet line a bit and play those some of the time. Also, there's a bunch of 3/4 measures in there you have to navigate.

The transcription from pgm554 looks correct to the original. I play a few JC songs live with my band, and I go with the backbeat accents inside a train beat even though the originals are different, if there are even drums on them at all. People dancing in bars these days seem to listen for the backbeats, and even though not correct to the originals, it works almost all of the time. Good luck!

User Info Menu

I just noticed this. Shane, are you back???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post

Really great stuff. I play this song fairly frequently and tend to play far more basic; 2/4 vamp. Well done and thank you for sharing.