Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    So I played a jam last night at a place that had a nice DW house kit. The owner paid a couple thousand dollars for it brand new. I saw it on the stage and got excited to play it.

    My turn came around and I get on the stage, and here's this nice kit with about 10 old, dusty, worn out Sabian B8 cymbals. I couldn't help but laugh, and neither could the guitarist and bass player.

    On top of that I had to tune the kit as best I could as quick as I could.

    I still played them and has fun, I just got a chuckle out of playing a high end kit with beginner level cymbals lol
    Six piece Mapex Horizon kit. Sabian B8X cymbals. Vater Drumsticks.


  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    I did a gig where they had the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in that beautiful purple stain . On closer inspection the snare was a cheap Maxwin chrome snare ! Six lugs and one of the lugs was missing ! Shoe laces were holding the snare wires on . Cymbals were Zildjian ZBT's . 20 inch ride and a 16 inch crash that was cracked . Hi hats were a bit better ... Zildjian ZHT Mastersound .
    I do a regular gig at a theater and the house kit is a DW in a ..black/grayish stain . But the owner had them install the Pearl tom mount system on the kick drum and toms . Drilled the mounts right onto the tom shells !! Those drums sound awful ! And they do theme type shows there so one day I walk in and the kit was covered in flower stickers ! They did a rendition of "Hair" . Dang hippies !! I spent the whole rehearsal getting these things off ! They were the paper stickers , the ones that leave the glue behind ....arrrrg !

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    House kits....................

    I hate to play house kits; I love my own gear.
    I love to walk away from the house kit at the end of the gig; I hate to tear down and load my own gear.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    House kits....................

    I hate to play house kits; I love my own gear.
    I love to walk away from the house kit at the end of the gig; I hate to tear down and load my own gear.
    My thoughts exactly.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    If I owned a venue, I guarantee I would not provide a kit that cost over $1K. Probably a used Export, Vision, PDP, Mapex Mars, etc.. Probably do B8 cymbals as well.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    My gigging/practice kit sure isn't top of the line. It is a Mapex Horizon six piece with B8X cymbals, but she sure sounds good. I'd much rather play my own.
    Six piece Mapex Horizon kit. Sabian B8X cymbals. Vater Drumsticks.


  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Exactly

    As a venue owner, I would imagine there would be enough things to deal with without investing in a top shelf drum set for use by total strangers!

    all the best...

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If I owned a venue, I guarantee I would not provide a kit that cost over $1K. Probably a used Export, Vision, PDP, Mapex Mars, etc.. Probably do B8 cymbals as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Exactly

    As a venue owner, I would imagine there would be enough things to deal with without investing in a top shelf drum set for use by total strangers!

    all the best...
    +1

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    I'll hit whatever they put in front of me. Little placement adjustment here and there................well worth it................saves set up and break down time and the hassle of hauling stuff around.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I did a gig where they had the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in that beautiful purple stain . On closer inspection the snare was a cheap Maxwin chrome snare ! Six lugs and one of the lugs was missing ! Shoe laces were holding the snare wires on . Cymbals were Zildjian ZBT's . 20 inch ride and a 16 inch crash that was cracked . Hi hats were a bit better ... Zildjian ZHT Mastersound .
    I do a regular gig at a theater and the house kit is a DW in a ..black/grayish stain . But the owner had them install the Pearl tom mount system on the kick drum and toms . Drilled the mounts right onto the tom shells !! Those drums sound awful ! And they do theme type shows there so one day I walk in and the kit was covered in flower stickers ! They did a rendition of "Hair" . Dang hippies !! I spent the whole rehearsal getting these things off ! They were the paper stickers , the ones that leave the glue behind ....arrrrg !
    My heart sank when I read that he drilled the dw!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    My heart sank when I read that he drilled the dw!
    The owner asked the sound guy who is also a drummer what was the best kit around . The guy said DW ! So he had the girl in the front office order one . But they aren't drummers and so when the kit arrived naturally it had no mounts on the kick drum like he had seen on other kits . And the guy he asked had moved on . So he sends it down the street to the mom and pop music store and they had the maintenance guy instal the mounts !! You should have seen my face as they were telling me the story ! They threw away the original suspension mounts that came on the toms .
    But the original intent was good . He wanted only the BEST KIT he could get for the hall ... But then they screwed the pooch ...

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    You'd think the music store that "did the deed" would have said something or explained the reason there were no tom mounts, LOL. Then again, they probably bought the kit somewhere else (looking for the lowest price), then took it to the local mom & pop to "fix it". The mom & pop place was probably like, "surrrrre....we'll help you out. We got these old Pearl mounts laying around. For a nominal fee, we'll just knock a few holes in your DW's and fix you right up...Bwaaahaahaaa".
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    I can't sleep knowing that this is happening out in the world.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    that's really funny! Great kit ruined buy awful sounding heads and cymbals lol
    19pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage | 10pc PDP X7 Sparkle Orange | 9pc Ludwig Jr. wine red | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 39 Snare drums and growing!

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    wow not just because it was a DW but just wow doing that to any brand...
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Keep in mind these are "theater" drums and that sometimes nobody plays them but are used as props in skits or plays .
    They got a new sound guy , Vince , and he and I were lamenting what they had done to the kit . So he bought some RIMS mounts off of ebay and installed them a couple of days back . I didn't know he had till today ! I did a Motown Themed gig there tonight . But I used my Yamahas for that . There is a ten inch tom that goes with the set but we couldn't find it .

    dw set.jpg

    If you look closer you will see the holes from when the mount was on the tom last week .
    Oh thank you Vince..the kit sounds way better now !

    dw tom.jpg

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    omg that bass drum mount is ugly.

    kinda like putting hubcaps on a Ferrai
    Last edited by slinky; 04-16-2017 at 07:13 AM.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Here's the house kit I was speaking of.

    Six piece Mapex Horizon kit. Sabian B8X cymbals. Vater Drumsticks.


  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    I am currently putting together a "house kit" I have an outdoor jam space, and a recording studio in one of my spare bedrooms. Moving the drums was too much hassle with the mics, so I had to get another kit for the jam space (bummer I found a kit in the sizes I wanted at a local pawn shop, but the "cymbals" were hideous! I have a friend who buys/sells used drums and guitars at the local flea market. Went to see him last weekend to get some cymbals, and he had two sets of hats that he thought I might like. He set up 2 hi-hat stands with the two pairs of hats, played them back to back while I wasn't looking, and asked me to choose my favorite. The choices were 14" New Beats, and 13" B8s. I was surprised that I preferred the B8s! I bought them along with a PDP 2-leg stand, an AA 20" medium ride, an 18" ZBT crash that sounds amazing, and a Pearl single pedal. Say what you will about "beginner" Cymbals---I buy what sounds good---not what the cork sniffers , and the marketing executives want me to buy!

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    I am currently putting together a "house kit" I have an outdoor jam space, and a recording studio in one of my spare bedrooms. Moving the drums was too much hassle with the mics, so I had to get another kit for the jam space (bummer I found a kit in the sizes I wanted at a local pawn shop, but the "cymbals" were hideous! I have a friend who buys/sells used drums and guitars at the local flea market. Went to see him last weekend to get some cymbals, and he had two sets of hats that he thought I might like. He set up 2 hi-hat stands with the two pairs of hats, played them back to back while I wasn't looking, and asked me to choose my favorite. The choices were 14" New Beats, and 13" B8s. I was surprised that I preferred the B8s! I bought them along with a PDP 2-leg stand, an AA 20" medium ride, an 18" ZBT crash that sounds amazing, and a Pearl single pedal. Say what you will about "beginner" Cymbals---I buy what sounds good---not what the cork sniffers , and the marketing executives want me to buy!
    I wouldn't consider myself a "cork sniffer " and I don't care what the " marketing executives " have to say either . I've heard some high end pricey cymbals that were just as awful . I currently have a 21 inch Zildjian K Crash/Ride that's going down the road because I don't like it . I gave it a fair chance on the gigs and it's just not cutting what I need it to do . But I have never heard a single B8 or ZBT cymbal that I liked . And when I show up to do a gig and the house kit has cheap "started" cymbals I know that what I have brought in my cymbal bag is WAY better . So I switch them out without exception .
    I'm not a "label snob" ... just a sound junkie .

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Here's the house kit I was speaking of.

    Some fine playing there ! Love it ...blues ! Yea .... that ride cymbal is just not cutting through .

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Some fine playing there ! Love it ...blues ! Yea .... that ride cymbal is just not cutting through .
    I like my ride much better, that's for sure.
    Six piece Mapex Horizon kit. Sabian B8X cymbals. Vater Drumsticks.


  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: House kits. They are funny sometimes.

    I played my town's yearly festival several years ago (opening up for Stxy). I was hanging around early when the sound crew was setting up. They were running around like crazy people trying to get everything done, and I offered to set up the backline kit. They happily agreed, and I wanted to see what I was playing so I could go retrieve anything from home I might need. I got the kit out of cases and found a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute - sweet! The guy told me there were 2 snares to choose from. I got them out - DW Edge or Pearl Super Solid. Score! I finally got around to the cymbals and found...B8s. Not even B8 Pros, just the straight, bottom of the barrel B8s. I could not believe they would spend somewhere near $4000 on drums, then find the absolute cheapest cymbal pack they could find. They sounded exactly like I thought they would - barely passable. I prepared to go home and grab my cymbal case, but hung around to catch some buddies in the first band, and surprisingly enough the cymbals sounded great through the PA. I have no idea what they did in processing, but I never would have guessed it was a budget setup. When I eventually played, I still thought they sounded rather bad from the throne, but out front everything was great.

    Here's a pic:

    23666_377335014901_8147659_n.jpg
    Website with free full song transcriptions: redeyepercussion.com
    Youtube channel with covers, lessons, and product reviews: youtube.com/RedeyeSPR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •