Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Pearl stand bites the dust !!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Another Pearl stand bites the dust !!

Pearl stand.jpg

Last night I decided to use the Pearl BC-900 stand at the patio gig . I have three and they're pretty much new because I only used these here at home on the everyday kit . I slide the tube down to the lock and turn the wingnut and I hear/feel the pop . Yup...another busted bushing !
    A busted bushing on the other stand was what brought me to this sight in the first place ..... remember ?
    And NO....I do/did not over tighten ! So this thing is rendered useless till I get the replacement bushing from Pearl .
    I thought I would share...and get my post count up .
    Have a good day all !!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another Pearl stand bites the dust !!

Well isn't that just a bite in the rear?

I've been lucky. Since owning a complete set of Pearl hardware, I'd never experienced a failure of any kind. Norske was so kind as to buy all my Pearl drums and hardware a little over a year ago but I still have my rock solid Icon rack.

At least your part shouldn't be too expensive. I'd guess less than $20.00 How long does it take to get replacement parts?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Well isn't that just a bite in the rear?

I've been lucky. Since owning a complete set of Pearl hardware, I'd never experienced a failure of any kind. Norske was so kind as to buy all my Pearl drums and hardware a little over a year ago but I still have my rock solid Icon rack.

At least your part shouldn't be too expensive. I'd guess less than $20.00 How long does it take to get replacement parts?
    The first time this happened I went to Guitar Center . It took them over two months ! But that's because they kept changing managers . Seemed like every time I went they had to put a call into Pearl . Finally the part arrived .
    Then the bushing from the top tier did the same . This time I contacted Pearl directly . They sent me two pieces and they arrived a week after I made first contact . Both times the parts were free because it's covered under the "lifetime guarantee" .
    I would be happy to pay for it if I had to . The first time they called at GC (they put it on speaker phone) the guy at Pearl said they had been having problems with the bushings and he was going to sent six . One was to go to me for free and the rest were for stock at $11.95 apiece . Of course that never happened and after several call to Pearl from different people at GC they wound up sending only one !
    Yea even the small top ones are going bad .
    I hope they have a bunch of these in stock because if it's a bad part and the new ones go bad too ....
    It's a shame because I like these stands but that broken bushing makes them useless !

User Info Menu

That sucks. Weird because I crank my stands and nothing like that has ever happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've never been a fan of pearl just because of their Hardware.

We have an exotic pearl masters kit at our store and I love the wood so much.. hate the tom mounts and hardware.

User Info Menu

The same bushing on my 900 snare stand is defective or seems to be. It doesn't hold up the weight of any of my snares. It just sinks away. Been using the legs to adjust the height
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have a bit of Pearl hardware and never had any problems with it. Love their Powershifer Eliminator Pedals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I've never been a fan of pearl just because of their Hardware.

We have an exotic pearl masters kit at our store and I love the wood so much.. hate the tom mounts and hardware.
    Same here. So big and bulky. Ugly as heck. Great drums though.

User Info Menu

Same here never had any issues with any Pearl hardware.

User Info Menu

The only Pearl "hardware" I own is a snare stand and a Demon direct drive pedal. No problems with either, but the snare stand is just so darn heavy (weight wise).
    I don't care for the looks or weight of their tube-arm mounts, but they've always been extremely reliable and solid for me.

Looking at the pics of the bushing above, it looks to me like an acceptable design, but poor material. It's designed so the plastic does all flexing, which is fine, but that requires the proper plastic that will tolerate the repeated flexing and fatigue. Sometimes stuff like that happens when suppliers change, items go out for low bid, etc.. The big air bag recall of the auto industry is a prime example.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    The only Pearl "hardware" I own is a snare stand and a Demon direct drive pedal. No problems with either, but the snare stand is just so darn heavy (weight wise).
    I don't care for the looks or weight of their tube-arm mounts, but they've always been extremely reliable and solid for me.

Looking at the pics of the bushing above, it looks to me like an acceptable design, but poor material. It's designed so the plastic does all flexing, which is fine, but that requires the proper plastic that will tolerate the repeated flexing and fatigue. Sometimes stuff like that happens when suppliers change, items go out for low bid, etc.. The big air bag recall of the auto industry is a prime example.
    Here's what the bushing looks like (broken) outside of the cup . You can see where the plastic failed . All the bushings are failing in this manner .
    Bushing.jpg

User Info Menu

So.....it looks like there's a washer/nut that actually pulls one side of the bushing toward the other?
    If so, it's no wonder. I could see putting a plastic ear/tab like that in compression, but not in tension. That's kinda asking for trouble, IMO.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm also not a big fan of Pearl hardware, especially the tom mounts. I've only had a few Pearl stands over the years that I've actually owned but I've always found their stuff bulky and awkward to use. I've never had any failures with the Pearl stuff but a similar Yamaha stand is half the weight and easier to use.

One of my main snares is a Pearl Masters, they make nice drums anyway.

User Info Menu

I've just checked the bushings on my Pearl (only) BC900 stand - it has round plastic bushings and the lock nuts screw in directly towards the tubing, so I'm guessing mine is an earlier version - the current BC930 has the split type plastic bushings like yours so I'm guessing that the split bushes were considered an upgrade at the time!.

On the subject of Pearl tom mounts - I like them, when used with memory locks once they are adjusted to your preference they never have to be disturbed, and set up in seconds. The L arm type tom mounts on my Premiers have to be slackened off and folded to fit in my bag and to set up I always seem to adjust them a couple of times to get them just right. The bummer is that the Pearl tom arms look like bargain basement starter kit equipment. As my Pearls are 20 year old Forums in Wine Red its not really a problem for me.

User Info Menu

I agree. I find the Pearl tube arm design works pretty darn well for a gigging kit. Even if it is ugly.

Yes, it does look like a budget kit....BUT....that's because everyone has been copying the design for decades.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

i have mentioned this before for those who hate Pearl mounting tubes. Yes they are ugly but pretty darn sturdy and will take any weight that you give them. I found them to be easy to remove with the memory locks that make re-assembling great has they go right in the same place without to tweaking around with adjustments and placements. So if they are so bad then why does Pearl keep making them. I love Pearl drums and hardware no matter what other think of them. Just sayin.

User Info Menu

Just an update : I got the e-mail from Pearl apologizing for "any inconvenience this may have caused" and are sending a few to my address . So all I can hope now is that they send me the right bushings and not the newer ones like they did last time for the smaller section . Those were totally different and didn't fit inside the cup .
    Pearl is moving on this that's for sure !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Just an update : I got the e-mail from Pearl apologizing for "any inconvenience this may have caused" and are sending a few to my address . So all I can hope now is that they send me the right bushings and not the newer ones like they did last time for the smaller section . Those were totally different and didn't fit inside the cup .
    Pearl is moving on this that's for sure !
    Pearl's reputation for their PR is one of the best. I know from experience dealing with them once and they were on the ball. Did you ask if you qualify for their lifetime warranty on the hardware?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Pearl's reputation for their PR is one of the best. I know from experience dealing with them once and they were on the ball. Did you ask if you qualify for their lifetime warranty on the hardware?
    The first time I went to Guitar Center with the first broken one I was told that the stands were warranted for life . The second time I went direct to Pearl and was told the same . This time ... no questions asked . Just an apology and a promise to send the replacements .

User Info Menu

The first time I went to Guitar Center with the first broken one I was told that the stands were warranted for life . The second time I went direct to Pearl and was told the same . This time ... no questions asked . Just an apology and a promise to send the replacements .
    Good to know................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That is what I thought Pearl hardware warranted for life. How many companies out there warranty their hardware for life. Just curious to know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    That is what I thought Pearl hardware warranted for life. How many companies out there warranty their hardware for life. Just curious to know.
    I know Yamaha does . I've had to get replacement parts from them without any issues . All covered under warranty . Same thing as with Pearl , no questions asked and parts were sent quickly through the mail . Yamaha even sent me a coffee thermos with their logo along with the replacement parts !

User Info Menu

That's good customer service. Even if they send the wrong part, they're being responsive which is more than you can say for many companies these days. Now if they'd only design some hardware that's easier on the eyes.

User Info Menu

I agree with you.

User Info Menu

I've always had good luck with PDP 800 and 900 series hardware. I believe the 900 series has been replaced by the Concept series. The exception on my kit is the Tama Iron Cobra Lever Glide hi-hat stand, which is a great stand.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!