Thread: More toms?

User Info Menu

Default More toms?

First off, I'm very much into the visual aspect of music. A rock show SHOULD be a show with all that comes with it (hated the 90's) So the drums HAS to look cool aswell as sound good.

Last summer I bought my current kit. It consists of a snare (obviously), two kicks, two floors and a rack tom centered between the kicks.
    It looks cool but man, I have a hard time playing it. There is too much air between the rack tom and the first floor tom.
    Should I let vanity reign and just suck it up or should I add on a couple of toms and get a more functional approach to it?
    I've been considering a (mildly) customized rack to keep the kit somewhat "out of the ordinary" but the "two kicks one tom"-setup is just soooo goodlookin' imo.

Help me, please!!!
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Default Re: More toms?

I once had a set up like that. I found it no different then the traditional one up two down with one kick drum set up. No more air between the toms with two kicks. I wouldn't worry so much about looks, I'd go with what allows you to play your best.

User Info Menu

I say add another tom and be comfortable with your playing. Your kit is gonna look cool because it's a drum kit. They just can't help but be the coolest thing on stage.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

That's the weird part, I used to play either with a traditional setup or with two toms between two kicks. And it never felt weird. But now, I can't figure out whats wrong. Maybe, I have the rack tom mounted to low.

The tom sits lower now since I have it on a snare-stand
    My old kit (not my picture, it's from the guy that bought it from me):
    System of Power

User Info Menu

I would say so. Raise your tom and lean it toward you, this may feel more comfortable for you. Personally I do not like that set up looks so uncomfortable and empty just sayin.

User Info Menu

Whether the kit has two basses or one bass, I love the 1-up, 2-down configuration.

You could add the second rack tom but then you have to move the ride cymbal away from the conventional position.

Not worth it to me.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

With a traditional 1-up, you're typically facing straight ahead. Maybe with the double bass, the floor tom is just a touch too far to your side? Maybe it's not a distance issue as much as an ergonomic issue?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I know where you're coming from. I tried the Louie Belson set up with 1 up and two down and found the same issues you brought up. Haven't gone back to it since the experiment.

User Info Menu

continued...

Gone back to the more traditional set up:

User Info Menu

Love the yellow kit,the 2 up also looks better and more comfortable to play to me

Mike

User Info Menu

I have 2 rack toms but use the 13 as a floor Tom. I hate big rack toms. If I could, I would get 8,10,14 and go with a regular 7 piece setup, but have the 13" to the left off of the hi hat stand. Unfortunately, the line was discontinued so it's impossible to find cs custom toms. I would definitely get more toms if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I raised the rack tom and angled it slightly. It's better but not good. Oh well, if the money-gods smile at me I'll soon buy a new kit...a bigger one...
    System of Power

User Info Menu

I wish I could afford a second kick. I could buy another kit for what it costs.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Check out Sabbath's Tommy Clufetos' setup. You get the look of a single rack tom but with more toms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellride View Post
    First off, I'm very much into the visual aspect of music. A rock show SHOULD be a show with all that comes with it (hated the 90's) So the drums HAS to look cool aswell as sound good.

Last summer I bought my current kit. It consists of a snare (obviously), two kicks, two floors and a rack tom centered between the kicks.
    It looks cool but man, I have a hard time playing it. There is too much air between the rack tom and the first floor tom.
    Should I let vanity reign and just suck it up or should I add on a couple of toms and get a more functional approach to it?
    I've been considering a (mildly) customized rack to keep the kit somewhat "out of the ordinary" but the "two kicks one tom"-setup is just soooo goodlookin' imo.

Help me, please!!!
    So, I'm really surprised no one has suggested simply moving your rack tom over to the right. Put it right next to your floor tom. Do you really need it on the center/left? How often do you actually hit it with a left-hand lead, which seems to be one of the biggest reasons to have it on the center/left?

Also, ask your self how often you really do runs down the toms that NEED to be runs for musical reasons, thus requiring the toms be right next to each other. I frankly almost never do that, but that's my style a you might use them all the time in your music. I'm just saying ask the question of whether you really need to move it at all or add a tom at all. You might be making a problem where it doesn't exist by being upset that you can't do something you actually almost never do in real life.
    Last edited by Newlin; 07-16-2016 at 01:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Use 1 kick and the other as a gong drum next to the hats? 1 up 3 down.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I would remove 1 kick and get the tom where it's easier to handle. It's much more impressive to see a guy kicking *** on a small kit than a big kit being flailed on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Newlin View Post
    So, I'm really surprised no one has suggested simply moving your rack tom over to the right. Put it right next to your floor tom. Do you really need it on the center/left? How often do you actually hit it with a left-hand lead, which seems to be one of the biggest reasons to have it on the center/left?

Also, ask your self how often you really do runs down the toms that NEED to be runs for musical reasons, thus requiring the toms be right next to each other. I frankly almost never do that, but that's my style a you might use them all the time in your music. I'm just saying ask the question of whether you really need to move it at all or add a tom at all. You might be making a problem where it doesn't exist by being upset that you can't do something you actually almost never do in real life.
    As I wrote in the OP, I'm very much into the estheicql part of drumming so placeing the rack tom to the far right and the ride in the center would just look awful imo.
    Since I play hardrock/metal there may be more then the occasional fill here and there. Depending on what genre I'm playing at the moment of course. But since I've started dabbling into bay area-thrash there'll be quite often where I'll need to do fast rolls down the toms. (Listen to Death Angel, Megadeth, Havok etc and you'll know what I mean).
    System of Power

User Info Menu

I've had single kick for years,...dreaming of a doublebass kit. No way I'm going back
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    I would remove 1 kick and get the tom where it's easier to handle. It's much more impressive to see a guy kicking *** on a small kit than a big kit being flailed on
    its also more impressive to see a guy kicking a on a big kit than a small kit being failed on. I don't think kit size matters. It boils down to 3 things: personal preference (comfort, style, what makes you feel good sitting behind the kit), what the show demands or what enhances the show (I remember seeing a lot of double bass kits with only one pedal) and current trends (like the current minimalist, knee-high flat toms trend). My thinking is, the more toms and cymbals you have, the more options you have in sound choice and set up options. You don't have to use everything all the time. (But you can if you want to)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    its also more impressive to see a guy kicking a on a big kit than a small kit being failed on. I don't think kit size matters. It boils down to 3 things: personal preference (comfort, style, what makes you feel good sitting behind the kit), what the show demands or what enhances the show (I remember seeing a lot of double bass kits with only one pedal) and current trends (like the current minimalist, knee-high flat toms trend). My thinking is, the more toms and cymbals you have, the more options you have in sound choice and set up options. You don't have to use everything all the time. (But you can if you want to)

I agree with everything that the G-man said (wrote).

I've heard the talk that a smaller kit makes you more creative, which is, of course, BS. You can be creative on a chair with 2 spoons if you have it in you.

The set I use now has 6 toms and 7 cymbals (not counting the splash) and I would have liked to have had them back in the day.

I remember back in the '70's when the double bass really kicked in, and, like G-man said, so many drummers, including some "big name" drummers, just had a single pedal because, in reality, they couldn't play double bass if their life depended on it. As far as I know, in my hometown, I was the only drummer that didn't go to double bass drums back then.

Anyway, when has size, or the lack of it, meant anything to anybody outside of Loreena Bobbitt anyway.

Go easy on that last sentence Tom, I'm conducting a poll, or is it pole. Maybe it's stick. Big or small makes no difference, I'm conducting a stick.

User Info Menu

I love my big kits but I spend HOURS setting them up to be as comfortable and easy to play as possible. But I wouldn't have it any other way I love the diversity and all the options with a big kit.

User Info Menu

Added a 10" tom (from an old beat up crappy kit laying around) to the left of my 13" tom and moved the toms slightly to the right. Also moved the ride equally to the right. Made a huge difference in comfort.
    Unfortunatly, the tom holder (Pearl style) for the 10" snapped. Just below the joint, straight cut more or less. I guess age made the metal brittle.

Anyway, more toms it is.
    8", 10", 12" racks to be ordered in the near future.
    The 13" will end up on my left.
    System of Power