Thread: Tweaked set up, getting serious , Todd Sucherman DVD's

User Info Menu

Default Tweaked set up, getting serious , Todd Sucherman DVD's

Hello all , so I've been seeing this drum lesson thing appear in my news feed on Facebook over the past few weeks so I decided to sign up for the free part of it. I won't name it because it probably would be considered a competing business with this site. Anyway the other night they posted a one hour lesson with Todd Sucherman. I found this to be very informative and helpful. I took his advise and did some tweaking to my kit, making the toms more comfortable to get at and raising my snare a bit. His advise was to make sure and spend a minimum of one hour a day playing my kit , no matter what , at least an hour. I've done this for the past 3 days, usually ends up being more then an hour and I am already seeing improvements. The little things are that much easier already and my speed is coming back. He recommends doing this for at least 6 months to a year to get myself back in top form. I'm also going to pick up his instructional DVD's. lastly I ordered a laptop mount for my drum rack that should arrive the 17th. I'm inspired again.
    Here's a couple pic's. I moved the 10" tom in closer to the snare. I move the two 8" toms to the right closer to the 10" and dropped one of them down a bit. so much more fluid now.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tweaked set up, getting serious , Todd Sucherman DVD's

Sounds like some great advice, set up looks comfy as well. Can you pm the site name?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm going to give myself another week then I'm going to start doing some Facebook live videos of my practicing.

User Info Menu

Here's the video it's up on you tube.
    https://youtu.be/YU5_NJfNunQ

User Info Menu

Good for you NP.
    It is always a good thing to be working toward an objective.
    Either small or large..............just something of a goal to provide focus.
    I'm glad to know you are back at it and working.

P.S. TS is a good one.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Great set up. Glad to see you getting back into it.

User Info Menu

I have always played my toms and snare close together. To me it helps things flow more smoothly.

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

If either arm has to go to full extension to hit anything, your set-up is wrong.

User Info Menu

Tell me about that A Custom ride.
    If I think of A Customs, it is always in a crash context.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Tell me about that A Custom ride.
    If I think of A Customs, it is always in a crash context.
    It's a 20" A Custom Ping ride. I'd say medium to heavy in the weight department. Nice defined stick sound, nice ping. It does not over build or get washy, Very controlled sound, great bell sound as well. Some drummers like a ride they can also use as a crash, this one is not that type of ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    It's a 20" A Custom Ping ride. I'd say medium to heavy in the weight department. Nice defined stick sound, nice ping. It does not over build or get washy, Very controlled sound, great bell sound as well. Some drummers like a ride they can also use as a crash, this one is not that type of ride.
    I'm with you -- a ride is a ride and a crash is a crash.
    I don't like my ride to get washy.
    Your review tells me that is a good ride cymbal.
    I have never been able to find a ride cymbal that is any better than the 22" A Zildjian (heavy) I've been using since 1973................it's that good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I'm with you -- a ride is a ride and a crash is a crash.
    I don't like my ride to get washy.
    Your review tells me that is a good ride cymbal.
    I have never been able to find a ride cymbal that is any better than the 22" A Zildjian (heavy) I've been using since 1973................it's that good.
    Yeah, that's a good one. My 22" Paiste 2oo2 is a nice one as well.

User Info Menu

he came to my store a couple of months ago.
    Super nice guy and had a lot of great advice when he did his clinic

User Info Menu

Your setup looks very tight and comfortable. One thing I never got the hang of with offset toms was how far away the hihats were. It doesn't look like you have that issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Well so far this has been a challenge. I own my own painting business I'm a one man show I do all the work, so after a 8 to 10 hour day of climbing, bending, kneeing and so on my joints are so sore I haven't been able to play. I'm doing great on the weekends but so far I've only managed to play on a couple nights after I've worked. No biggie, it's not like I'm preparing for a gig, I just want to get the chops happening they way they used to. Just going to take longer.

One thing I've noticed, I still have a hard time when it comes to lesson type practice. Just like the old days I get bored very quickly and just want to play instead of doing the lesson. I was never good at school, probably why I quit my drum lesson after 2 months when I was a kid.

User Info Menu

I'm just glad to hear you are working at it when you are able................good news.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thought I'd come back with an update. My plan was to get my chops back up to speed with the hope of possibly playing out again, but that's not going to happen. It's been frustrating to say the least. I'm finding that I have been able to freshen up my chops and I can still play some of the more challenging songs I used to play, it's just not as easy as it was when I was younger and playing for hours every day. Also as I've spent more time playing my right arm, that I broke last September, is now giving me problems. After about 40 minutes of playing I have to stop because of the pain in my elbow. So I've come to realize I had my day , I had 14 years of playing out all over New England and now I'll have to be content just to play in my basement for my own enjoyment. I did get the arm looked at and there's nothing wrong , they just said with my arthritis and age when you have a break these things happen. Also the stress i put on it during the day moving ladders and staging around doesn't help. I've started wearing a brace on my elbow at work and it seems to help/

So that's it, this winter a couple friends an I plan to get together once a week to jam for fun so I just keep doing that and jamming out to my drumless tracks. I also really enjoy just playing the kit alone with no other music. Peace..

User Info Menu

Getting old is not for pussies !
    Keep after it and get all the possible enjoyment without risking further injury.
    I'm certain the physical requirements of your work can really drain the energy you would rather have for drumming.
    It's great you still get pleasure in working the kit.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Man , how things change. I was so set on getting "good" again lol but my body had other plans. I stopped playing last July. My right arm was really bothering me and we adopted two new cats and they were very timid so I felt it would be good to keep the noise down and let them settle in to their new home , and give my arm a break.

I also went to see the Doc about my arm problem again. I told him what was going on and that it seemed to be getting worse. He took some x-rays he said the area where the break was "my elbow" is a critical area when it comes to movement. Every time the wrist turns the bones move over each other and when I play there is a lot of wrist movement along with impact. So we tried a much better brace for work , been using that since August and it has helped.

I started back up playing a couple weeks ago and so far it's been ok. I'm taking it easy and if I feel any pain in the elbow I stop. So far so good. I've been putting in about 4 hours a week , not a lot but at least I can still enjoy playing the kit. If things continue to go well I may invest a few dollars on a larger kick drum. I always used 24" kicks back in the old days and would like to get one as long as the arm holds up.

Also if you remember I was playing two PDP X7 maple kits put together. I ended up selling one of them so now I'm just using the one X7 kit with an extra 8" tom haven't found a spot for it yet though.

29791770_10215925323109689_891029633145765888_n by Joe Dee, on Flickr
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 04-18-2018 at 06:45 AM.