Thread: Thank You Moeller Technique !! Now I feel better about the Traditional grip .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Thank You Moeller Technique !! Now I feel better about the Traditional grip .

So back sometime last year we started having to play smaller clubs and had to bring the volume down . So instead of "buying" specialized equipment to play softer I just taught myself to PLAY softer on my existing kit without any modifications .
    Part of that was using the traditional grip . I've always used this grip when I wanted to play slightly behind or right on the beat , like on shuffles . And it was easier to play softer with this grip . But when I had to dig in and push the beat or go for volume I had always switched to the matched grip .
    When I would try it with the traditional grim I was never able to get volume or push the beat . My hand and fingers would hurt and I would get tired playing it that way .
    So I found Matt Patella on Youtube and began to work at it with a metronome . I have no pain or soreness anymore . The strokes are solid and consistent in volume . I can play behind , right on or slightly ahead of the beat at will . And more important I don't get fatigued at all ! I still have work to do with it such as my tom fills . But that won't take very long . I've always admired the way Vinnie Colaiuta plays a wicked beat with the traditional grip . My goal is to get to that level .

Here is me using the technique on our swing version of "Caldonia" . You can see how high I bring the stick up ...and it feels so natural . By the way the horns were playing the Muddy Waters version of that song that's why they're lost . These guys were hired for the gig , they sight read charts ...but didn't have one for this song and instead of just sitting it out they just had to play !
    Hope you enjoy the clip .

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thank You Moeller Technique !! Now I feel better about the Traditional grip .

Personally, I think that "Traditional" grip should be taught to every beginning drummer.

I couldn't count the amount of drummers that have, over decades, said to me that they wished that they could play "Trad" grip. I have tried to teach more than a few, but they don't want to put the time into learning it.

Outside of a good press roll, anything I can do with match I can do with "Trad". Anyone who has seen my videos knows that I will go from "Trad" to match and back again depending on what I want to do. Every drummer should be able to use both grips and be comfortable with both.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thank You Moeller Technique !! Now I feel better about the Traditional grip .

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Personally, I think that "Traditional" grip should be taught to every beginning drummer.
    Every drummer should be able to use both grips and be comfortable with both.
    Agree with this 100%. I remember back when I started taking lessons, every teacher I had started with teaching the traditional grip.

User Info Menu

I couldn't count the amount of drummers that have, over decades, said to me that they wished that they could play "Trad" grip. I have tried to teach more than a few, but they don't want to put the time into learning it.

Outside of a good press roll, anything I can do with match I can do with "Trad". Anyone who has seen my videos knows that I will go from "Trad" to match and back again depending on what I want to do. Every drummer should be able to use both grips and be comfortable with both.
    I played traditional until I got into high school. When I got into high school my band instructor would NOT let me play traditional. Even in Jazz band.... blew my mind. This is when I started working on match grip.

Today many years later I still play both depending on what I'm doing.

User Info Menu

I have always been comfortable with both grips over the years and depending on what I play decides which grip to use.

User Info Menu

I know several working drummers , who make way more money than I do , who could care less about the traditional grip . Playing professionally with drum endorsements and such . And I was just fine doing it the way I have been .
    I was just surprised at how quickly I was able to get this using the Moeller Technique . More than likely I will keep playing matched grip . I just wanted to be able to do it both ways and not because I HAD to or because I was trying to impress anyone . I don't recall at any time where I was on a gig or a recording session and they said "wait .. what grip are you using ?" .
    I'm simply saying that the Moeller Technique works . I know drummers here who teach using the traditional grip but NOT the Moeller Technique . And it's different than what is being taught . If you play traditional grip I would urge you to look into the Moeller Technique . It's more efficient and you get more power and control . You will be surprised !

User Info Menu

Moeller should be looked at by all drummers, BUT, if you are just a match grip player, Moeller, by itself, will not give you the ability to play traditional.

Most drummers that I have met over decades of playing that have said they could care less about traditional, tried it, couldn't pick it up in a week, so say that they don't need it, can't be bothered, and a thousand other things, but won't admit that they just couldn't get it.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 04-18-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: =======

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I know several working drummers , who make way more money than I do , who could care less about the traditional grip .
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! ... We have a winner!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! ... We have a winner!
    I don't think so! I'm not debating the Moeller Technique, it's a good thing to work with.

As for the drummers that "make more money than I do" and could care less about Traditional, I made damn good money over the years and I'm glad I can play both.

User Info Menu

WoW . Another one of my posts turns into a "one upman's" thread .
    All I was talking about was the Moeller Technique . I didn't think it would get to the point where would be slapped for sharing an experience .
    I didn't want to offend anyone .... but I guess I did .
    Sorry...

User Info Menu

This wasn't a "1 upsmanship" thing. You better re-read the posts.

User Info Menu

Interesting how this turned into a grip discussion as it relates to the Moeller technique because the Moeller technique and the use of it is not dependent on grip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Interesting how this turned into a grip discussion as it relates to the Moeller technique because the Moeller technique and the use of it is not dependent on grip.

That's what I said.

" I'm not debating the Moeller Technique, it's a good thing to work with."

User Info Menu

Was he the guy from Whiplash???

User Info Menu

My comment was about traditional grip, not Moeller.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    My comment was about traditional grip, not Moeller.
    Tom, you have to be crystal clear. Was it for or against Traditional grip.

Remember that there's a lot riding on your answer. Well, probably not but, what the hell, do the best that you can.

User Info Menu

Tom, you have to be crystal clear. Was it for or against Traditional grip.

Remember that there's a lot riding on your answer. Well, probably not but, what the hell, do the best that you can.
    You kill me

User Info Menu

I don't care which grip you used, I loved the video. !
    Great song, great playing. I noticed you do very similar fills on that jump Blues/swing beat and off-beat accents on the snare that I do....only you do it a lot better.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I started out with traditional grip in band at grade school but learned matched as well learning rock. For jazz music I do play trad. grip.
    Conrad