So back sometime last year we started having to play smaller clubs and had to bring the volume down . So instead of "buying" specialized equipment to play softer I just taught myself to PLAY softer on my existing kit without any modifications .
Part of that was using the traditional grip . I've always used this grip when I wanted to play slightly behind or right on the beat , like on shuffles . And it was easier to play softer with this grip . But when I had to dig in and push the beat or go for volume I had always switched to the matched grip .
When I would try it with the traditional grim I was never able to get volume or push the beat . My hand and fingers would hurt and I would get tired playing it that way .
So I found Matt Patella on Youtube and began to work at it with a metronome . I have no pain or soreness anymore . The strokes are solid and consistent in volume . I can play behind , right on or slightly ahead of the beat at will . And more important I don't get fatigued at all ! I still have work to do with it such as my tom fills . But that won't take very long . I've always admired the way Vinnie Colaiuta plays a wicked beat with the traditional grip . My goal is to get to that level .

Here is me using the technique on our swing version of "Caldonia" . You can see how high I bring the stick up ...and it feels so natural . By the way the horns were playing the Muddy Waters version of that song that's why they're lost . These guys were hired for the gig , they sight read charts ...but didn't have one for this song and instead of just sitting it out they just had to play !
Hope you enjoy the clip .